Article discussing the VW diesel scandal

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Great article. Glad they are starting to get to the top of the chain of command.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Thanks for sharing. It will be interesting to see if any of the VWAG top brass ever see bars.

toneman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
VAG's goal to conquer the automotive world seems to be a huge factor in this. A fine goal but the hubris for some was on a Macbethian scale with Macbethian results. Still love my car.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
At the time they made the announcement about wanting to be number one, they were not that far behind. I said at the time and still think that their better move would have been to offer a smaller more affordable car for North America. The Polo or Up would have fit that niche. If it would have had a diesel, it could have rivaled most hybrids for mileage. Of course that would just add another mess of cars to dieselgate.

CHawk

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4D DSG (gone buyback)
In addition to weak consumer-protection laws, the article fails to mention the other major reason VW escaped significant financial penalties from selling 8 million "cheating" diesels in Europe: besides Germany, VW and its subsidiaries have factories in Belgium, Czechia, Spain, France, Hungary, Italy, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Sweden, and the UK. Some of those factories support entire cities. Any cost to VW on par with the $25B for a half-million diesels sold in the US could have resulted in many of those factories closing. There was little political will to prosecute VW to the maximum extent possible, even under European law.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I still like the "VW ethics and Mettle fatigue" paper written up. Great article how the culture can corrupt and applies to many many many different fields, such as the one that i receive a paycheck from.

I found a link a while back all seem to be pay for viewing now.