06 BRM JETTA's - High Mileage (200k+) Post it!

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Pkg2 DSG Navi
"Hey curious to see how long this car is going to last! Post up the following if you have over 200k miles!"

Mileage: 210k Miles
Avg MPG: 525-575miles to a tank on the hwy; 70-80+mph

How many Cams & lifters: 1 @ 155k Miles (VW/Castrol 5w-30 505.01, OCI-7Kmi or so, Pentosin 5w-40 505.01 used since approx. 18k mi)

How many Turbos: 1 @ 160k Miles (Old turbo was still good but VNT had a lot of play), EGR present

Performance Adders: Kerma-tune stg1, VW/Eibach lowering springs w/Koni FSD dampers, GTI 17" alloy's, Michelin Super Sports, Brake pads-Pagid Performance, Dynaudio DSP w/amplifier, and Dynaudio 10 speaker swap.

Any other major issues: A/C valve@compressor, HVAC vent motors, Seat memory/position switch x2, Rear brake caliper drag, Headliner replaced@year 12, Radiator fans x2, Glow plugs (4) at 190K mi, . . .

Last edited:

brianstrange

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta DSG Auto Pkg 1
BRM, DSG 235K, Cam at 110K, DMF @ 80K Turbo Actuator at 180K (Used newer style, adapted to old Turbo.) Tires, Bearings and Brakes.

x12gt

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2005 Mercedes E320 CDI

Original Cam and Turbo, SMF Conversion

Malone stage 1 and EGR delete for 50k

No issues other than my flywheel rattling apart, a few glowplugs, EGR leak, and 1 front wheel bearing, oh and my turbo actuator is beginning to seize up.

Although it's never let me down mechanically, the Jetta is semi-retired, new daily is an 05 E320 CDI. :D:D

GIDDY_UP_GO

Veteran Member
TDI
10 Jetta 13 Beetle Convertible 15 GSW
Just purchased a 2005 Jetta with the BRM and and auto tranny last night. Has 193k miles on it and just had the DSG service, timing belt/water pump and a new PD140 turbo installed all at 187k miles.

I think I got a pretty good deal on the car, the guy was originally wanting $5000 for it, but after a lot of negotiating, I got him down to $1500! (Basically the price of the turbo!)

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Just purchased a 2005 Jetta with the BRM and and auto tranny last night. Has 193k miles on it and just had the DSG service, timing belt/water pump and a new PD140 turbo installed all at 187k miles.

I think I got a pretty good deal on the car, the guy was originally wanting $5000 for it, but after a lot of negotiating, I got him down to $1500! (Basically the price of the turbo!)
Damn, your negotiating skills are off the charts.

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG

Original Cam, Turbo, Brakes, shocks.

GDE Hot tune for the last 60k, and EGR delete for 12k (EGR cooler failed)

DSG Flywheel at 124k , front wheel bearing at 130k, Driver door and injector harness around 100k, fourth set of tires. Alternator pulley around 180k, EGR coolant line around 140k.
Guessing less than 1k in repair costs with the flywheel being about 2/3 of it.

Doesn't use a drop of oil, and I would drive it across country today!

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
216k Silver Package 2, Replaced Cam, Flywheel, Egr Cooler @ 185k. Most likely will need clutch packs or trans and turbo, just changed oil. Whole front end needs attention, struts, control arms, ball joints, tie rods, etc. Doing front brakes soon. DSG due at 225k. Car was hit twice, once driver door and rear ended, I fixed both for less then $500 for new rear bumper, trunk lid and door panel including body shop pulling out the rear end. Headlights are like new. Would like to see this car go at least 300k+ before scraped. I have another one that is in better shape with only 143k that I drive daily. Brother is going to take this one over. Have too much in it to sell. Best to just keep it rolling.

Last edited:

W7628

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI P2
2006 BRM w/232k, P2 w/Nav, Rear Sunshade, DSG. Just picked it up in August to replace my 2004 BEW that was sideswiped by a box truck and totaled. Nice ride so far; car has the 17" wheels so the ride is a bit stiffer than the 15" wheels on the BEW. Car was dealer maintained until 225k, then a guy bought it and did timing belt and water pump, kept it for 2k miles, and decided he didn't like it because of the 'hissing noise' he was told was 'normal for these cars'. So I just replaced the EGR cooler and coolant hoses; I blocked the cooler at halfway open and disconnected the vacuum line to it, so I'm hoping for a long cooler life since the bushing won't be seeing constant use. Also did zip-tie mod as that common boost issue presented itself as soon as I replaced the EGR cooler and closed up the exhaust system. For the moment, the car is running great and MPG is back to 42-44 where it was before boost problem surfaced. A 600+ mile tank is no problem. No signs of DMF failure yet; that will be next big-ticket item, and I'll do a DSG service at 250k. Hoping for a trouble-free run to 300k as I need this car for my 120 mile round trip commute.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Mine just passed 266k miles. Runs and drives, though not perfect. Camshaft and lifters replaced at 235k, as well as timing belt. EGR was deleted and has a stage 2 malone tune. It's now what I call a greyscale Harlequin because of hitting a deer and being t-boned.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6790 using Tapatalk

Captainfh

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 2006 Jetta Sedan
New to the Forum, love the enthusiasm!
I have an 06 Jetta @ 232K miles with normal maintenance. Of course at this point in its life "normal" includes Brakes, Front wheel bearings & timing belts etc...Unfortunately, I will undertake the dreaded cam replacement this weekend-seems pretty straight forward for a gearhead such as I am. I do have a question to pose to all the like minded individuals that hang out here. When removing the valve cover last weekend i noticed that the previous owner has installed bailing wire on the VNT actuator on the turbo?!? To what end I wonder?

Let me back track to what led me to this discovery- After an extended lay up (6 months I work out of state) I noticed it seemed very loud compared to my wife's 03 ALH wagon. After checking all the normal things the car seemed to drive fine just like it has for the last 40k since I have owned it. Then bang it threw a P101 engine code- and and emissions Workshop warning -after probably not enough research I zeroed in on the Maf and replaced it. This was fine for about a week then the car did it again, in addition to losing all boost from the turbo. this time throwing a P101 and well as a P299 underboost code. So more reading and more listening and looking under the hood. I ran across the cam shaft issue online so off came the valve cover and it was pretty darn obvious what was going on in there (in addition to the Lub Lub sound coming out of the airbox) the # 3 and 4 exhaust lobes were badly worn. I am a firm believer that when it comes to mechanical things one should solve one problem at a time, but I am not naive enough to think that I am only dealing with one problem in this instance. So the camshaft first then to look good and hard at the turbo and that goofy bailing wire...

Thanks for letting me vent, any constructive input/help or like stories would greatly appreciated. These forums can be a really great resource

Cheers!

Ken

p930man

Veteran Member
TDI
2013, 2002 jetta, 06 tdi jetta
06 JETTA

217K, I bought her with 160k. Changed out the AC compressor. Almost lost her at 200k when the trans cooler started swapping fluids with the cooling system. Still have a residual bunny hope from that issue. Belt noise changed out several tensioners turned out to be the alternator. Replaced the radiator and coolant bottle. Change the oil every 5k.