New 2013... 1/2 quart oil burned at 1200 miles

nullsignature

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Premium w/ Nav
Just got a new 2013 Jetta TDI and checked the oil. After 1200 miles, half a quart has been burned. I asked my old man, who is a "car guy," and he was surprised that it hadn't burned more, stating that new cars can burn a lot of oil during the break in. This was also given the history of my MKV GTI, which burned oil like a mofo.

I've never had a brand new car and I haven't heard this before. When I bought the car I also asked the VW dealer if I needed to add oil in between changes and they said no (I asked the manager this after the sale had been made, so there was really no reason to lie).

Is this an issue I need to bring to the dealer or is this an expected phenomenon?

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
how long did you wait after shut down before checking the oil? car level? was the car up to NOT?

If you didn't follow the procedure, it'll show 1/2qt low.

shepi1

TDI
2013 VW Jetta TDI
The "break in period" is a thing of the past. Stringent manufacturing requirements for engine components means that you don't have the old problems where if you drove faster than 50 mph in the first 500 miles you'd blow your rings or worse. I wouldn't be expecting you to be burning any oil at this point.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Shouldn't burn oil like that . Neither my 2011 golf or 2013 passat burned a drop in between any oil changes. That is in the manual to cover their ass when you complain. Only my 94 Mazda 626 with 200k miles on it burns that much oil.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Oil consumption can (and probably will) go down as the engine breaks-in. My car (a 2009) burned about half a liter in the first 10k miles. It then burned about a quarter of a liter in the second 10k miles. I have not added any oil between changes since the 30k service. I am now over 60k miles and the dip stick always shows full. I am not sure how this relates to your issue, but in my case oil consumption definitely has dropped as things worn in a bit.

Have Fun!

Don

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Check the oil every time you fuel up. It probably won't ever need any between oil changes, but you still need to check each and every time you fill up. Keep a bottle of the correct oil type on hand.

Expect the oil usage to stabilize soon.
EDIT to add: Stick your foot in it and build some boost (BOOST, not RPM) to help seat the rings.
Most TDIs do not make up oil between the scheduled 10,000 mile oil changes.

Bill

Last edited:

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Question is how much did it have in it when you picked it up? Mine was about halfway down the hatch marks when I drove it home right after PDI. Both my Passat and JSW. I would say it might have been under filled slightly since day one. Watch closely (at least every fill up) which you should be doing anyway.

nullsignature

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Premium w/ Nav
Shouldn't burn oil like that . Neither my 2011 golf or 2013 passat burned a drop in between any oil changes. That is in the manual to cover their ass when you complain. Only my 94 Mazda 626 with 200k miles on it burns that much oil.
Don't believe that. Turbocharged vehicles burn low viscosity oil. It's going to happen.

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
43000 miles and never added a drop of oil between my 10k changes.

OP you didn't answer the most important question asked yet. Did you check the oil when the engine was FULLY up to temp and then follow the oil checking procedure in the manual? It matters!

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1
Question is how much did it have in it when you picked it up? Mine was about halfway down the hatch marks when I drove it home right after PDI. Both my Passat and JSW. I would say it might have been under filled slightly since day one. Watch closely (at least every fill up) which you should be doing anyway.

I would do a reset on your expectations after you get it to a known topped-off location on your dipstick, then check it every week or so on level ground, after enough time has elapsed to drain into the pan sufficiently.

With regard to your stmt about turbocharged engines, I've had three, and the only one that did burn oil between changes was Christine, and that was only around town driving, 1/2 qt or so during my 10k intervals. On trips, with stout driving on the flats and in mtns packed to the hilt, it didn't burn any oil of note. After I had the head overhauled (new valve guides, etc), it no longer burns around town, either.

I'd do a level-set and just wait before you come to another conclusion, hopefully it was just not filled to the line, good luck.

crash2365

TDI
'00 Jetta TDI
Almost every new VW is delivered to the dealer slightly low on oil, usually anywhere between a half and a full quart, something easy for a bright eyed newbie tech to miss...

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Don't believe that. Turbocharged vehicles burn low viscosity oil. It's going to happen.
Believe what you want .... Ok maybe it burned a drop but my oil level never changes between OCI's . If yours is burning a noticeable amount of oil this early in its life perhaps you didn't break it in correctly or you have a problem.

Last edited:

CDN TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Jetta 6MT, 1991 Turbo Diesel Jetta 5MT
Unless your oil level was low to begin with, there is something wrong with your vehicle.

I have done two oil changes already and have never lost any oil at all between oil changes. Softrockrenegade, JSWTDI09, and TDiSkater also report no loss of oil.

Cooperdb

TDI
2013 Jetta Premium TDI
Almost 4k on my 2013 , oil level right where it was when I took deliver ......

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
Lost 1 liter in total first 10,000 miles (2010). No loss after 1st change. Watch it. Doubtful anything is wrong.

R-1150-RS

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I needed about 0.75 litre in the first 16,000 km. Don't think that is unusual in a new engine breaking in, as a freshly honed cylinder block WILL burn more oil than an engine that has broken in.

Don't believe ANYONE who tells you it is expected that a brand new engine will not burn oil.......

At 22,000 km now and almost no oil consumption since 16,000-km oil change.

Give it some time and stop fretting over stuff that is SUPPOSED to happen.

You have enough to worry about that isn't supposed to happen, but very well just might.... :) :)

Gary
:) :)

TDI_Dan

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW 6M MKVII, 2011 Golf TDI 6M (bought back)
I'm approaching my 20k service. Checked cold, the level has never really changed even at 10k. I did that one myself. I followed DBW's break in process in the FAQ for the most part. I did expect some loss but was pleasantly surprised to not see any. Mostly city driving, which is optimal for the break in period anyway.

R-1150-RS

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I'm approaching my 20k service. Checked cold, the level has never really changed even at 10k. I did that one myself. I followed DBW's break in process in the FAQ for the most part. I did expect some loss but was pleasantly surprised to not see any. Mostly city driving, which is optimal for the break in period anyway.
Or maybe all that short-run city driving didn't boil off the unburned fuel that blew by the rings, and gave you a false oil level reading that was actually due to the fuel making up for the oil that actually was burned....?

I think some regular highway driving at varying speeds and throttle settings is better for break-in than mostly running the engine in short low-speed city commutes where the engine barely gets to operating temperature for long.

Gary
:) :)

Last edited:

elconquistador

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Seems high to me if it actually burnt it. I've had to add maybe a 1/2 a liter around 5-7K of my first couple oil intervals but not really anything since. Just cracked 50k.

Samcar222

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red JSW TDI
51k miles, not a drop burned (no *visible* changes on dipstick) - always checked warm on level surface with 15 min to drain into the pan. Car was broken in properly from 0 miles. Like others have said, get in boost 2-3k rpm to seat the rings.

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
Just checked the oil, and at ~2400 miles the oil's right at the full mark on the dipstick, been sitting for about 40 minutes after a little run that got everything up to full operating temps.

Have a liter of Castrol SLX that'll likely never be opened, but just in case.

AlcoC420

Veteran Member
TDI
Oil consumption can (and probably will) go down as the engine breaks-in. My car (a 2009) burned about half a liter in the first 10k miles. It then burned about a quarter of a liter in the second 10k miles. I have not added any oil between changes since the 30k service. I am now over 60k miles and the dip stick always shows full. I am not sure how this relates to your issue, but in my case oil consumption definitely has dropped as things worn in a bit. ... Don
Our case was similar to yours Don; today our JSW consumes virtually nothing. I still carry a Liter of it's special engine oil on long trips just in case.

travislipe

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI Prem w/ NAV
Why bother ? The oil light will come on when its low and remind you to add some:rolleyes:
Sweet, that's what im talking about!! I said the same thing to the service people also about waiting till 10k for the first service & they didn't seem a bit worried so I said shoot guess i'm not then lol!

CDN TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Jetta 6MT, 1991 Turbo Diesel Jetta 5MT
Why bother ? The oil light will come on when its low and remind you to add some:rolleyes:
That is very bad misinformation. Contrary to common belief, the oil warning light has nothing to do with oil level. Rather, the red light comes on when the oil pressure drops too low as determined by an oil pressure switch installed on the engine. Your VW does not have an oil level indicator, just a low oil pressure warning light. If the light comes on and you continue to run the engine, you can destroy it.

You can have proper oil level, but no oil pressure for a number of reasons. Continuing to run the engine when the oil light comes on could be a very bad thing.

This is off topic, but it needed to be addressed.