Drilling a drain hole in the intercooler plumbing

TDI57

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
I did the drill job too, no issues whatsoever. Piece of mind to see water on the ground instead of in the tube.
But, now that I have committed to give the car back to VW and getting a simple 14 year old Tacoma 5 speed with crank windows, no intercooler, no HPFP, no turbo, no DPF, no exhaust valve and too may other pollution control devices to mention, of which still is not enough to meet our standards. Ugh. Nice feeling actually to leave all that behind.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
well, add me to the list, while deployed car would not start for my wife. had her leave it parked in driveway, glad it happened at home. 45 days later I pulled the hose and found a chunk of ice filling the pipe about 2/3 full. let melt out (hair dryer and lightbulb, its still only 25 today) and started car with hose off to heat soak the inter cooler and hopefully get any other ice out. Drilled an 1/8" hole in the plastic pipe just past the rubber hose as others have done, hope that fixes it until vw tunes/ repairs this thing so I can strip out the emissions. My tuned and deleted car had 0 water issues in the inter cooler.

ricks

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Jetta Sportwagen
When I used to drop the bottom engine cover, air flow thingy, to change the oil, it was good to see about a tablespoon of water flowing from the hole I previously drilled when warming up the motor. Now I know every time I start the car it self purges.

Top tip: I now change the oil by sucking the oil out of the dipstick tube using an Oilbox brand oil pump extractor and leave the bottom cover intact. Makes changing the oil an absolute breeze and less than half the time. Also use it to pull oil from lawn tractor, pressure washer, etc. great tool, no affiliation.

neldom

TDI
MkV Jetta
Sorry to resurrect somewhat of an older thread, I have 2009 TDI, and I definitely have the icing issue, I have had it stall, stumble, etc. various times under various winter driving conditions. I did not know that this was a common issue, but I am going to try drilling the hole after reading the thread.
However, I also have the same issue - every time - I go through an automatic car wash, doesn't seem to happen with the wand wash, where, obviously, the car is not running. It always stumbles and has troubles for the first while. I have seen a good cup of water and oil built up in the cooler hose so I assumed this was the cause. Any ideas if this would remedy both my headaches?
Also, does this work in the great white north, where we're a currently experiencing multiple -30°C mornings/evenings? Or does the hole ice up too badly?

JasonG

Veteran Member
TDI
1994, 2003 JSW (sold), 2012 Jetta
The general thinking is that the residual engine heart will allow it to drain.
The water from the car wash spraying on the CAC would cool it and cause condensation. I always leave it running.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
I drilled the hole last summer and only one issue since. Uncertain as to the cause since I had had the battery disconnected, but it wouldn’t crank, lights dimmed. Redid the battery connections and it started,but then I noticed a pool of water collecting under the car. It was pissing out of the intercooler hose after starting even though it had been above freezing in the garage. Maybe the hole plugged?

I rarely had trouble in cold weather, mostly when it is just above freezing.

Mark1331

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2 door
Forgive me for resurrecting an old thread, but I had the intercooler problem for the first time the other day and I read most every post in this thread tonight for the first time. All new to me, and very entertaining and informative :)

I'm hoping the drain fix is still working well for everyone that did it. I'm going the winter front route but if I still have problems I may try the drain hole.

I do have a suggestion that I don't think i saw, apologies if I missed it:

This might be difficult to get just right, but why not cut a dime shaped hole in the belly pan right below (or as close as you can get) your drain hole (assuming you put the drain hole in the bottom of the pipe)? That way hopefully most of it would just blow directly onto pavement instead of collecting in the belly pan. I know the belly pan is for protection, but seems like this might be an acceptable option.

Thanks for everyone who posted on this thread, you guys have some great ideas!

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Forgive me for resurrecting an old thread, but I had the intercooler problem for the first time the other day and I read most every post in this thread tonight for the first time. All new to me, and very entertaining and informative :)

I'm hoping the drain fix is still working well for everyone that did it. I'm going the winter front route but if I still have problems I may try the drain hole.

I do have a suggestion that I don't think i saw, apologies if I missed it:

This might be difficult to get just right, but why not cut a dime shaped hole in the belly pan right below (or as close as you can get) your drain hole (assuming you put the drain hole in the bottom of the pipe)? That way hopefully most of it would just blow directly onto pavement instead of collecting in the belly pan. I know the belly pan is for protection, but seems like this might be an acceptable option.

Thanks for everyone who posted on this thread, you guys have some great ideas!
Great idea.....when you are stopped. The rest of the time the wind turbulence will just blow the drips all over the place.

Jason

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
I'm just going to posit this is a stupid idea.

There are proper fixes to this issue that don't include damaging the integrity of the intake piping.

YMMV

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
Do tell what the "proper" fix is? Based on the inter cooler ice threadzilla people have continued to have issues after having the TSB performed. Crude as it may be, the hole is cheap, effective, and more legal than removing the source of the water (EGR delete) . Stupid is a little harsh in my opinion.

Mark1331

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2 door
I'm just going to posit this is a stupid idea.

There are proper fixes to this issue that don't include damaging the integrity of the intake piping.

YMMV

What are some of these proper fixes? I know about the VW dealer fix, which as the previous poster stated seems to not fully taking care of the issue. What are some of the other fixes?

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Well at the very least install a petcock to drain, so there's no hole in the intake tract piping.

I believe others have had success with the S3 intercooler, but that's not a cheap solution.

ytjetta

TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG
I experienced the IC problem last week. After a couple sub-32F days and snow, car wouldn't start during the evening the following day when i tried to go home from work. I was parked in the underground parking garage. I got the car towed to the dealership I bought it from. According to them, they diagnosed and found no codes and also checked battery and starter motor which passed test. They also said that they checked the intercooler and found nothing. However, they found that the fuel filter was clogged (job doesn't say what clogged it) which starved the engine. Fuel filter was replaced (not covered by warranty). However, i still think it is the IC freezing and thawing which caused the problem.

Another cold snap/snow is coming our way so I decided to cover the front in the hope that IC won't freeze again. Just stuffed 1/2" foam pipe insulator ($2.97 at home depot) using black UV-resistant cable ties. Doesn't look nice but as long as it does the job...

img_1495.jpg

Last edited:

DSIre

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI (sold), 2011 A3 TDI, 2015 A3 TDI (Returned)
You don't want to have a petcock threaded into the pipe because it will not fully drain the pipe if it protrudes inward.

Drill a 1/32" hole. And if the spray bothers you, plastic weld a 1/4" hose barb over the small hole and attach a piece of tubing through the belly pan.

Miser_TDI

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS (Galactic Blue, Leather, cold wx) JUST PURCHASED: 2012 Jetta TDI, blue, DSG. Nice car. :)
Well at the very least install a petcock to drain, so there's no hole in the intake tract piping.

I believe others have had success with the S3 intercooler, but that's not a cheap solution.

Maybe when my engine finally blows up (covered by dieselgate warranty) I can have VW install an S3 intercooler then?) ;)

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I picked up a '13 JSW recently and live in WI. I haven't experianced any hard starting issues yet but am considering this mod as a preventative.

Anybody else in the Midwest complete this mod with ill side effects?

Last edited:

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS 5MT, '12 JSW DSG
Tiny hole, Works great

Several months ago, while doing other services, the lower intercooler plumbing was disconnected and found to have water & schmutz inside. Everything that was accessible was cleaned out. A .050" hole was drilled in the lower pipe. After driving the car for a week, the bellypan was removed for more services and found to have an oily, wet mess on top of the bellypan, directly underneath the hole. A 1" holesaw was used to make a drainhole through the pan. It's been working great since then. Most cold mornings after the car pulls out of the garage there is a little puddle of water under the drainhole. Occasionally there is a drop of oil.

Operation has been a complete success so far.
Thanks to whoever originally suggested it.

Last edited:

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS 5MT, '12 JSW DSG
Delete? Not right now.

I would like to delete & tune mine, but it is running fine in stock, pre-dieselgate tune. Once it starts coding and the cat rusts off, then it's off to the races.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
I believe I am commited to this setup for my drain. Drilling the plastic tube, tapping it with 1/8" NPT and threading in the elbow until flush on the inside, sealing with JB weld, then installing the 1/4" tube to the needle valve located somewhere I can access without dropping the skid panel down.

Now to remember to dump it for preventative measures.

Bradm

Veteran Member
TDI
02,03,05, Jetta 99.5 Golf
Yes deleted cars are adding to the pollution but man made pollution is not speeding up climate change..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
Right on

I’ve had mine drilled for a year now. Haven’t had a problem. Live In the Midwest

piotrsko

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf, 2000 F-250 (7.3)
I got into an argument with a stealership mechanic who said that this would kill my DPF. When I asked him how he knew that, he replied "because I have replaced several DPFs on cars with intake leaks". OH REALLY?

winks

Veteran Member
massive thanks to the OP for coming up with this fix!! A week into it, the car starts great and seems to be draining well ?

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I got into an argument with a stealership mechanic who said that this would kill my DPF. When I asked him how he knew that, he replied "because I have replaced several DPFs on cars with intake leaks". OH REALLY?
From a technical or engineering side I agree with the technician. These cars are very picky on ANY air leaks. I have replaced DPFs on one or two cars several times while hunting down some tiny little leak. One was small pinch in a charge air hose seal that had a tear. Seal was intact but would leak under boost. Another was a split in the hose just before the turbo. Best one was a crack in the end tank of charge cooler - body shop fixed the car and didn't noticed the hairline fracture around the mounting stud.

In practice you probably won't notice a problem for thousands of miles, or until the ECM gets pissed off for some random reason. But once it happens you have to plug the hole. In the mean time not ingesting water and hydro locking an engine seems like a good trade off.

Something MrCHill said at a tech presentation sits in the back of my head - "you can have two identical cars and they drive totally different. Tolerances between two could both be in, but at different ends of spec"

Jason

FL_BeachBum

TDI
13 JSW TDI
Stupid question being I don’t have this issue and wouldn’t actually drill my intercooler as boost is important but couldn’t you drill and tap and put a release valve in place like on water separators in diesel fuel filters? I would think that would be more ideal and you could have a larger opening to drain any sludge buildup in there too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
My mods are complete:

And first test: