www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Road Trips

Road Trips Discussions about road trips you have made with your TDI.

Old October 27th, 2017, 13:36   #31
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

What do you find better about it? From all I see it just mirrors Google maps and a few functions. To me it seems limited as Google can do more than the few things they allow there. Why go through a third party site instead of going directly to the source? Everyone has their own way though.
Old October 27th, 2017, 19:48   #32
AndyBees
Veteran Member

To be perfectly frank, I've never used Google Maps per se. Oh, I've clicked on the little map in an ad or when looking up info on a town or community.. just because that little map was there!

However, with vPike, if I want to see what a road looks like (my purposes as I indicated previously), in a very few clicks, I'm there looking at it!

Just thought I'd share it for those who were not aware!

EDIT: Yep! Just checked out Google Maps ...... side by side with vPike... basically the same! You can do a full screen with either! So, I really see little difference.
'84 Vanagon '02 ALH TDI engine(32 to 35+ MPGs consistently) Malone Stage 1 tune. Road trip to Nova Scotia 2013. Road trip to Alaska summer 2014 & 2016, 11k & 12k miles. 80k miles on install, Jetta Cluster odometer currently at 209k miles.

Last edited by AndyBees; October 27th, 2017 at 20:01. Reason: Add comments
AndyBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2017, 22:38   #33
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

As I said they are exactly the same as they are just using Google maps. You have used them just through a link from a third party. If you go to Google maps that little man (street view) is there, along with many other functions not enabled on that 3rd party site. If you look in the lower left corner of that sites map it will show it is actually Google maps you are using. You use VPike who uses Google maps for info. All they do is give you a button right up front. If the info isn't in Google maps you won't see it there either. Of course they are the same as they are exactly the same Google info.
Old October 29th, 2017, 18:11   #34
Shenandoah
Veteran Member

A drive to Alaska is also on my list of things to do. Was up in Healy this summer with the family and wandered around in Denali. The view are phenomenal, pictures really don't do justice.

I would love to drive my Audi TT -> TDI conversion up there some summer.

Eric
Shenandoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2017, 08:36   #35
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
As I said they are exactly the same as they are just using Google maps. You have used them just through a link from a third party. If you go to Google maps that little man (street view) is there, along with many other functions not enabled on that 3rd party site. If you look in the lower left corner of that sites map it will show it is actually Google maps you are using. You use VPike who uses Google maps for info. All they do is give you a button right up front. If the info isn't in Google maps you won't see it there either. Of course they are the same as they are exactly the same Google info.
From day one, when I first used vPike it was extremely obvious that it is Google map based.

As I stated, until this conversation, other than very limited vicinity observing when doing searches, I had never used Google Maps per se. However, just for comparison, I have now looked at Google Maps directly through their website ............ absolutely great! But, I still like the format of vPike and will continue to use it.....

Again, I was only sharing the link for those who are not aware. And, as I said, I like it much better. And, obviously there's enough support for it as it has been around several years.
'84 Vanagon '02 ALH TDI engine(32 to 35+ MPGs consistently) Malone Stage 1 tune. Road trip to Nova Scotia 2013. Road trip to Alaska summer 2014 & 2016, 11k & 12k miles. 80k miles on install, Jetta Cluster odometer currently at 209k miles.
AndyBees is offline   Reply With Quote