Frequently Asked Questions

wgd54

TDI
2005 Passat BHW
2005 Passat TDI rehab?

I have a 2005 Passat BHW with several issues. It has 150K miles on it, but otherwise is in good condition.
It leaks oil from the turbo and return tube. Oil is collecting in the intercooler and hoses.
It also leaks coolant, its dripping from the fins on the bottom of the engine and seams to be coming from the coolant flange. I've had the coolant flange replaced before in 2012 but appears to be a problem area again.
There is a gurgling sound coming from the heater core area in the dash. I smell coolant, but not sure if it is the heater core or the fumes from the engine compartment (latter is my thought).
Also, after reading the forums, I'm considering the balance shaft conversion. Is this doable by a decent mechanic like myself? Or is the tools required better assigned to a TDI shop familiar with the issues?
Any feedback is appreciated...

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
All depends on your mechanical ability. This is not a Chevy.

You may wish to consider having a TDI "guru" perform the balancer shaft update for you. That would also be a good time to replace the camshaft and replace the timing belt kit.

There are many expensive issues and quirks with these cars, but everything is repairable and all the parts are still available.

Pull up a chair and prepare to do some reading.

wgd54

TDI
2005 Passat BHW
Thanks for the reply, and yes I have been reading extensively. The cooling components and turbo replacement seem pretty straightforward repairs, but the BSM looks like you need a specific tools and may be best to farm out.
I love the car, just want to be realistic on keeping it versus cutting my losses and selling it...
What parts source is recommended? I saw many comments on who to stay away from...

davedeisel

TDI
b5 passat
Hi all my 05 Passat has been giving me high temp warning stop check coolant levels etc. Hopefully it's just a bad sensor or wire. Temp usually at 90 c then proceeds to the red 130c and all the warnings. Just wondering is there a coolant control valve or similar that mite be stopping coolant flow? Reservoir is full, fan dose not start up, 350 000 km if that matters

Baine

TDI
2005 TDI Passat
I noticed the thread on delete kit and or gear up grade on the balance shaft is closed so I thought I would take a shot at general questions. Having the delete kit done this week on 2005 passat gls. No noticable noise of the chain, I have 138,000 on the car but not a gambler. Couple questions for those who did the delete. Are you happy with the results? Did you notice an increase, decrease or no change in vibration? Are increased mpg your experience or just a few who note this? Thanks, Rick

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Yes to slight increase in vibrations on my Delete - more noticeable in winter due to the cold. Slight increase in fuel econ, but I converted to a 6spd manual at the same time, so I can't say how much is attributable to the delete on its own.

Dkoesyncro

TDI
B4 wagon, BHW T3 Syncro
Balance shaft delete

How does one know if it has been changed or deleted?

I'm brand new to the BHW. I bought a car from the auction with 142k on the odometer. Much quieter and smoother than our 1Z. I plan on putting this bhw engine into my syncro vanagon.

I found the prior owner, he was an old man who regularly had the dealership service this thing. He couldn't tell me any maintenance history other than every time it went in it would cost him $$$$. He said this Passat was the last VW after driving them his whole life, he bought a Toyota and hung up on me.

Back to the question, how can one see if it's been done?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
The only sure fire way is to drop the oil pan.

I would think if one had access to a camera capable of looking through the drain plug that you might be able to tell that way.

jay4tek

25mi North of Sacramento, CA in South Placer Count
TDI
'03 Jetta GLs wagon 4-sp auto. & '05 Passat GLS B5.5 Wagon
Reasonable performance but smoke & poor mileage... EEK!

Hi Forum Folks
I recently picked up a very clean Passat B5.5 GLS wagon with 165K from an auction associated car lot.
While test driving it, I regretfully didn't notice "the smoke".
This car has always been dealer serviced and does have full Carfax history.
The engine seems & sound fine and if there was no smoke and decent mileage I'd say all's good.
Problem is... it's only getting 22 mpg and produces intermittent & sometimes very significant exhaust smoke.
My local shop suggested carbon around the piston rings from being non-op for over a year.
They had me cycle a Seafoam oil treatment and suggested just drive it for awhile.
I've now put in 400 embarrassing miles doing this.
The smoking hasn't abated and is perhaps worst.
So anyway, I'm looking for a place to start...
Thanks in advance for any suggestions or insights you care to offer ... Jay
Observations:
The engine runs great at steady speed on the freeway... acceleration is good with minimal visible smoke...
When ever I have to stop and sit at idle it re-accelerates with blue smoke.
This seems worst when the engine is at full temp.
The longer it sits at idle the more smoke there seems to be when I re-accelerate...

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
A new thread may have netted more responses.

Does the smoke clear up after a bit of steady driving? Will it then accelerate smoothly with no smoke.

Oil could be pooling in the crossover pipe at idle. Disconnect the hose between the crossover pipe and the intercooler. You'll always get a little bit of oil, but a large amount means you're injesting oil.

You say otherwise it runs good. So, no emissions workshop?

On TDIs it's always good to rule out bad fuel or filter.

I'd start a new thread with all the facts and results of a scan if you have VCDS or other scan tool.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Looks like the original links here are all dead with the software change.
VWVortex and PassatWorld links work, just not the internal Forum links. I'll post in the moderators' forum and see if Fred can fix it.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Balance shaft delete questions need advice, can it be installed with engine in the car? If I were to have a shop install it what can I expect price wise?
Yes, it can be done in the car. Price wise is often around $1-2k depending on the shop and their going rates. Where are you located?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
Looks like the original links here are all dead with the software change.
In no particular order:

Looks like this one belongs too