Brake pad rattle within caliper

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat bhw tdi (presently), 2001 jetta alh tdi (previously), 1998 jetta ahu tdi (previously)
In the past I heard a rattle by the right front wheel. On checking I found the retaining clip/spring for the pads was missing. Clip apparently holds pads stationary within caliper. Got a new one and and it was quiet again. Then over time I guess the clip stretched and the noise returned. Mostly heard while going over a bump. Again got a new one, but noise did not go away this time. Is there a trick I am missing? Thanks in advance.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Check the inner pad. The 3 spring clips holding the pad tight in the piston can loosen and cause the same sound. You can remove it and bend the tabs out so they will be tight inside the piston

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat bhw tdi (presently), 2001 jetta alh tdi (previously), 1998 jetta ahu tdi (previously)
I got a visual. Will check actual pad in a.m. Thank you.

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
Checked the inner pad and it did appear loose. Tightened the three clips within the piston and it has taken care of the problem. Thanks again.