2005 passat TDI 2.0 CRANK, WONT START please read

Jr467

TDI
05 passat 2.0 tdi
Hi everyone, new to the forum as of today. I recently picked up an 05 passat tdi 2.0 that wouldnt start. The guy I bought it from claims to have replaced the fuel filter and couldn't get it to start back up. Any way I got it home took off the t hose in the filter and the filter was dry as a bone. I filled it with fuel, vacuumed the lines on the fuel filter, and proceeded to start. It cranks really fast and shakes the car like it wants to start, but doesn't. I squirted a shot of starting fluid just to see what would happen and it fired for about 5 seconds, so i believe its fuel related. Air in lines?? Fuel pump is working, checked anti shutter valve, and egr as well. Getting fuel up to the tandem pump. I just cant seem to figure out what to do next, and cant find anyone who has had this problem in the past. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance.

auntulna

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS Passat wagon, mit panzer plate
One basic thing is to remove the glow plugs and crank until you see fuel spray out. Then you know something for sure. Beyond that, Vag-Com might be necessary.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
First verify your fuel pump is working.

Secondly it took me a dead battery and half a dozen tries to prime my bhw the first time.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
if your lift pump in the tank is working (turn key on and listen) then you lost pressure to the injectors. Crank 5 seconds rest 5 seconds do this till it starts and runs

Jr467

TDI
05 passat 2.0 tdi
Lift pump/ fuel pump under rear seat is working when I turn key I can hear it. I will try the other recommendations when I get home today. Thanks

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
what is the level of your fuel tank when you tried to crank it? Are you parked on a driveway nose up?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Lift pump/ fuel pump under rear seat is working when I turn key I can hear it. I will try the other recommendations when I get home today. Thanks

Repeat what the guy after me said a dozen times.

Possible your tandem pump failed. Try 2 dozen times if 1 doesn't doesnt work.

Jr467

TDI
05 passat 2.0 tdi
Whizznbyu it has over half a tank and on flat ground. I'll try but I've tried that quite a bit. Thanks