Haze on inside windows

Thompson

Anyone else notice this? Ever since I've had my TDI I've noticed a film buildup after a few weeks on the windows. What is this? Is it harmfull? Do I have a problem with my car?

thx

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Yes,

You're always gonna have this "haze". As long as you breathe and sit inside the car.

Just clean your windshield. It's dirty.

Lito

newflyer22

Veteran Member
TDI
(former) 2003 Golf GL TDI Reflex Silver/ Black
I have had the same problem. The dealership told me it's related to the materials used in the interior. Someone else told me it's from the A/C, which I have not been using lately. I don't know what to believe but the dealer told me to use the finest grade of steel wool to get it off. I'm a little leary of doing that, but I still have it coming back after I clean the windows.

Thompson

So it's not related to diesel. My uncle commented to me once that it's some diesel thing. Besides, it just takes a week for the film to start building up. Never had this on ANY of my previous cars unless it was a year since I cleaned the glass. Seems to be building up too quickly for it to me normal, methinks.

Griffin

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2000, Green
Use alcohol based window cleaners, not ammonia. This will help in keeping the film away longer. It's not a "diesel thing" my wife has a new KIA and has the same problem. The haze doesn't come back as fast now that my car is a couple of years older.

Snowman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
It's a combination of off-gassing from the plastics in the vehicle and other airborne particulate. (mostly from the off-gassing though)

southtdi

Veteran Member
Armour All is a big contributor to this also. I wouldn't recommend using the stuff but if you do it may have something to do with it.

will360655

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Passat
I had the same thing and went through all kinds o window cleaners. I think that I spent $150 on them untill out of left field I picked up windex powerized, or something like that. I works the best for me, it's all i use now.

JPuck

Just to warn everyone with a story about myself:

My first car was a Ford Bronco II. For about a year the windows seemed impossible to clean... if I cleaned them, they would just smear or get clean for a day and be hazy after another couple of days. I didn't think much of it... the car was a POS and I figured there was nothing I could do about it.

I also noticed but assumed it to be unrelated, that whenever I put the heat on (which was somewhat rare, living in Miami) that there was a kind of burning sweet smell... hard to describe.

Those of you who know cars know where I'm going. It turned out the heater core was leaking so the car was essentially humidifying the interior with vaporized antifreeze. I obviously got it fixed, but have wondered since whether cancer is down the road for me. I can't imagine breathing antifreeze could be good for me...

I'm sure that's not your problem, but just wanted to spread the word...

[ December 13, 2002, 17:24: Message edited by: JPuck ]