Swapping ECU from a 2003 bug or 2002 jetta into a late 2001 bug TDI

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
I might have to replace the ECU in my 2001 bug (038906012CR). Hopefully Malone can recover it. Was wondering what my options were and what I would have to do in terms of programming? My 02 jetta is a EDC15VM+ with part number 038906012FD and my 03 bug is a EDC15VM+ with part number 038906012GQ.
Can these be used? What is involved?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
One thing I think could be the immo, the 02 and 03 are immo 3 but the other is immo 2 and I'm not sure if the ecu is backwards compatible or not.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
Malone says it might work. I think I would have to do an immo delete to use a new ECU. I'm surprised nobody has a concrete answer for this.
Seatman thanks for your input!

Arctic Jetta

TDI
2002 Jetta, 2004 Dodge Ram 5.9l Cummins
I've always been told the only stupid question is the one not asked, so here's my stupid question. Where is the ECU located on a 2002 Jetta TDi ALH? Thanks.

jack1

TDI
Audi Allroad 1.9tdi, Audi A4 Avant 1.9tdi, Vw T25 2.5 V6 tdi
as Malone states it will work with immo delete once the engine types are the same

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
I've always been told the only stupid question is the one not asked, so here's my stupid question. Where is the ECU located on a 2002 Jetta TDi ALH? Thanks.
Inside - under all the dash plastic by the windshield.

I have an ECU form a 99 ALH 5 speed NB for sale if that'll help you out - no immob I believe.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Inside - under all the dash plastic by the windshield.

I have an ECU form a 99 ALH 5 speed NB for sale if that'll help you out - no immob I believe.
Don't the early ones have different plugs? I'm pretty sure I read that on here somewhere.

Here I did a little write up on that one

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/494434/3400743.aspx#3400743

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Malone says it might work. I think I would have to do an immo delete to use a new ECU. I'm surprised nobody has a concrete answer for this.
Seatman thanks for your input!
The concrete answer is you need an ECU with same part number.
The fact that a reputable chip tuner thinks it might work means he probably knows what minor mods to do, worth checking out.
Car-Part.com has used ECUs at reasonable prices

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
Don't the early ones have different plugs? I'm pretty sure I read that on here somewhere.

Here I did a little write up on that one

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/494434/3400743.aspx#3400743
True, they do indeed have a different plug.
Do keep in mind that for US cars everything that Seatman shows is on the opposite side from ours since his car is right hand drive.
Seatman, BTW, great write up.
The concrete answer is you need an ECU with same part number.
The fact that a reputable chip tuner thinks it might work means he probably knows what minor mods to do, worth checking out.
Car-Part.com has used ECUs at reasonable prices
as Malone states it will work with immo delete once the engine types are the same
Yes, Malone told me that the part number needed to end with 012 XX where XX could be any letter(s) and that then it MIGHT work.
I checked out car-parts and there is a ton of them out there ranging from $25 to $350. The good news is that malone was able to recover my ECU and flash it with the tune I was trying to flash into it to begin with so looks like I'm good to go.