Tensioner rattle

steeler 19

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
So my 2006 Jetta has been making an increasingly loud “rattle” as of late. I replaced the belt and tensioner recently and that helped for a while then it came back. Looking in the engine while it was idling I noticed what looked like the tensioner (and belt) vibrating a good bit - it seemed that a source of the noise was the tensioner hitting the backstop tab. Turning the AC off reduced but didn’t eliminate it. Now it’s just bad all around and nothing I do improves it. I will also add that when I changed the belt I did inspect the alternator and I could easily turn that pulley with my fingers. Didn’t notice any grinding or wobble.

Any thoughts? Do I need a new AC compressor?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
The symptoms you describe indicate a defective alternator pulley. Search this forum for alternator pulley issues.

steeler 19

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
Ok thanks. That was weird. When I posted that question about the tool, Idparts website was showing two tool sets as suggested add ons. That’s why I asked - wasn’t sure if I needed both (now realizing I obviously don’t as they are engine specific). I think it was just a glitch and it didn’t process my vehicle selection. Now when I went back it only had the metal nerds one.....

Fingers crossed these $70 will fix it. I’m guessing there are a few YouTube vids out there walking you through it.

steeler 19

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
And did I read correctly that all 2006 Jetta TDIs in the US are BRM engine types?

steeler 19

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
So I replaced the pulley and car runs smoother but it turns out that wasn’t the major issue. Apparently my daughter had removed the front driver wheel looking for a nail in the tire and never properly tightened it back on....had lost two lug nuts ? by the time I finally sat in it and drove 10 feet and realized what was going on. Kids....

Jeffro420

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Hey there, just checking in with those of you who may have performed this repair...

Were you able to replace the pulley without removing the alternator or getting under the car, as this video suggests is possible? I have a 2010 Jetta TDI MK5 and am hoping to be able to do this repair without getting under the car or jacking it up to access the belt.

Also, I purchased the pulley removal kit and have a 17mm wrench and something to hold the tensioner back when I remove/re-install the serpentine belt.... what other tools would you recommend I have on hand? Thanks!!