Premium Diesel Locations by State

pyankura

Vendor
TDI
2005 golf a4 body style
This I think will be a cool thread for those who want to run the best. Maybe this can be made a sticky. Unless it is already done! I use this place as much as I can because it is about 30 minutes from my home. The difference in this fuel is felt, heard, and observed!

It is just off of I-70 East or West exit 49 on Fitz Henery Road, Smithton, Pennsylvania. Go around back to diesel pumps!

NAME:

Flying-J

PRICE:

2.21/GAL.

pyankura

Vendor
TDI
2005 golf a4 body style
If you can remember it, sure! I did write it down on a card and lost it. I will be going back in couple of weeks when I fill up. It is better regulated and is better by a couple of clicks compared to another truck stop I go to.

CMB430

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I recommend that if this is going to be made a Sticky that one or two moderators have access to it. Members can post their facts and their comments are added to the original post so that I do not have to search through hundreds of posts for stations in MN or VT or VA or PA and so on...sort of how the list of trusted TDI gurus started out before it grew like ivy and is now hard to navigate. Just my thoughts.

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
Premium diesel available in NW Austin, TX

Signature Shell
Parmer Lane (FM 734) & McNeil Road.

Current price 3/11/09 is $2.09/gal.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
What is the difference between premium diesel and ULSD?

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
dieseldorf said:
The station I listed has a Diesel pump, and then a completely different 'premium diesel' pump.

I believe it is Flint Hills ULSD w/unknown additives.

pyankura

Vendor
TDI
2005 golf a4 body style
In Europe they have, I believe 3 grades of diesel. Each with different cetane levels like us with gas. Here we have crap with dirt in it. This is what Fred Ruf says. He is from Germany and who is coincidentally ralated to Ruf Porsche. But they regulate the cetane value and detergents a little better.
If it is good, you run it, you will know it!

dieseldorf said:

Nocky

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Do you think they will ever post cetane levels like they do for octaine in gas:confused:

b4black

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta blue
Premium is not clearly defined in most states. Most premium diesel I have seen is not higher in cetane. The station managers know nothing other than it is "better" than regular diesel.....

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
... and the cetane level can vary by delivery. It's a moving target, it's entirely different compared to MIN levels set for guzzoline.

Y'all are gonna make yourselves crazy worrying about this.

Worry about cetane when you have cold weather starting issues.

Cetane level is NOT indicative of the overall quality of the fuel.

Crazy Jetta TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Nocky said:
Do you think they will ever post cetane levels like they do for octaine in gas:confused:
Every pump i have been to here in VA has a min cetane rating like all gas pumps have. I thought this was the norm then when i wen on a trip to FL i realized it was a nice convenience that not all states have.

I can get minimum cetane level of 47 at my local BP station in Colonial Beach VA. It is 2.29 a gallon last time i went there. I can go to my local shell station and get minimum cetane of 42 for 1.86 as of today. Both run great in my car so 90% of the time chose the cheaper.

Sip'n Diesel

Veteran Newbie
San Joaquin Valley, I have VCDS (KII-USB)
TDI
2003 ALH: 254,000 miles
I saw a great thread awhile ago that explained the difference between cetane rating and cetane index. I can't find it right now... IIRC they mean two different things! one is the actual and one is the cetane after additive packages

pyankura

Vendor
TDI
2005 golf a4 body style
Fellas, it don't make no neva mind to me! I know that when I use this fuel the car starts easier, runs smoother, gets better gas mileage, and most importantly I can feel the difference. If you don't want to run "premium diesel" or care to know where to get it then don't worry about it. I thought this would be benificial to this forum. I was wrong!

By the way, I get this fuel cheaper than if I am to go to a truck stop, fill up, and than buy a bottle of cetane boost. So, you do the math.

jimlockey

Veteran Member
TDI
14 TDI Jetta & 09 TDI Sportwagen
I have driven 5 dirrerent diesel vehicles and my only concern is try to use high volume stations. The brand makes me no difference, but the price does. If a Conoco station charges less than an Exxon or Shell then I will always buy the Conoco and save the money. I have never gotten a bad tank of diesel...............

Ton

Veteran Member
TDI
early 2001 jetta
Does anyone know which truck stops/gas stations sell fuel made from American oil besides Flying J and Sunoco?

Sip'n Diesel

Veteran Newbie
San Joaquin Valley, I have VCDS (KII-USB)
TDI
2003 ALH: 254,000 miles
wouldn't it be nice if federal law just required a current bill of lading to be mounted on the pump? of course, it would be blended with the previous remnants of the tank...

no no no... that makes too much sense and makes our lives much easier. that law will never be a possibility:mad:

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
Sip'n Diesel said:
wouldn't it be nice if federal law just required a current bill of lading to be mounted on the pump? of course, it would be blended with the previous remnants of the tank...

no no no... that makes too much sense and makes our lives much easier. that law will never be a possibility:mad:
They'd rather pass another "stimulus".

Can't figure out how a 8 Billion dollar bullet train between Vegas and LA is going to rescue our economy though...

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
No consensus

b4black said:
That's not correct. Most 'premium' diesel have the same cetane rating at regular diesel.
Folks, from my past observations (few years since I got a TDI in 2002) there is no consensus about the standards behind so called 'premium diesel' in the US (I am not sure about Canada or Mexico). Therefore just pump from a high volume retail location and mix in your favorite fuel additive (and/or high quality biodiesel if you can). I use places like Valero, Murphy Oil, etc. and add diesel fuel additives from Amsoil (there are other good ones out there).

How is this for a plan?

redvw

TDI
Jetta
The local shell station near me sells Premium Diesel for $2.79 per gallon two blocks away Hess sells diesel for $2.49 per gallon, next to Hess a station named USA sells diesel for $2.39 per gallon, while I have been using Shell, I am concidering switching to Hess to save money. I use Power Service additive.