Prospective Buyer Questions

Strider

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Hi All,

I'm looking at buying an '06 Jetta TDI in the near future, and had a couple of quick questions.

1) Does anyone know if there would be room in the C-Pillars to run a few cables, if I get the side-impact airbags? I'm a HAM, and am looking to install a radio in the car when I get the chance, putting a Comet B-10 (http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantm/3918.html) on the roof. By the same token, are there any useable raceways to feed a power cable from the battery to the trunk? I know there is a accessory jack in the trunk, but from what I've read, the wire guage is such that there is a significant voltage drop at the current required to run the radio while transmitting.

2) Has there been any work done on publically documenting the CAN bus protocols used within the vehicle? I'm a computer/electronics engineer, and have thought up a bunch of fun toys to add to the vehicle, but they all rely upon tapping into the existing data busses. If not, would anyone be interested in starting a project to do so? I have some experience working with the CAN protocol in other applications, so the real challenge will be figuring out the data on the bus itself.

3) Can anyone reccomend a good dealer in the Vancouver, BC area? A little while back, I visited one dealer who *grumble* tried to stear me away form the Jetta TDI and towards the new GTI, which while a nice car, isn't a Diesel. :p

Anyhow, thanks in advance!

Regards,

Hans Johnson

PS: The specs I'm looking at is a TDI, pkg 2, blue graphite, with the black leather.

whitelite777

Veteran Member
Strider said:
Hi All,

I'm looking at buying an '06 Jetta TDI in the near future, and had a couple of quick questions.

1) Does anyone know if there would be room in the C-Pillars to run a few cables, if I get the side-impact airbags? I'm a HAM, and am looking to install a radio in the car when I get the chance, putting a Comet B-10 (http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantm/3918.html) on the roof. By the same token, are there any useable raceways to feed a power cable from the battery to the trunk? I know there is a accessory jack in the trunk, but from what I've read, the wire guage is such that there is a significant voltage drop at the current required to run the radio while transmitting.

2) Has there been any work done on publically documenting the CAN bus protocols used within the vehicle? I'm a computer/electronics engineer, and have thought up a bunch of fun toys to add to the vehicle, but they all rely upon tapping into the existing data busses. If not, would anyone be interested in starting a project to do so? I have some experience working with the CAN protocol in other applications, so the real challenge will be figuring out the data on the bus itself.

3) Can anyone reccomend a good dealer in the Vancouver, BC area? A little while back, I visited one dealer who *grumble* tried to stear me away form the Jetta TDI and towards the new GTI, which while a nice car, isn't a Diesel. :p

Anyhow, thanks in advance!

Regards,

Hans Johnson

PS: The specs I'm looking at is a TDI, pkg 2, blue graphite, with the black leather.
Can't help you with the above questions, but if you want a new TDI, PKg 2 in your certain color; You had better start searching, because they're hard to come by anymore and VW will not make an 07 or ??? in the near future. Best of luck.

Strider

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Hmm. I was under the impression that the cancellation of the '07 TDI was just an american thing. Does anyone know if it affects Canada as well? Up here, the TDI represents some 50% of Jetta sales, so it would seem that it would be brain dead to kill such a popular vehicle if they don't have to.

AudioBear

TDI
2006 Jetta DSG-auto TDI
Nobody ever accused VW of being smart at marketing cards. Jetta TDIs are in great demand here but that didn't stop VW. You better check on 2007 availability. The last runs of TDIs for the USA in Puebla is to be completed within week (search the forum for exact date--I forgot). Run, do not walk, run to your nearest dealer.

Renn-Tech sells the Vag-Com -- maybe there's something on their site about CAN bus details.

AudioBear 2006 Jetta TDI DSG, PKG 2, NAV White/Biege 370 miles (592 km).

AudioBear

TDI
2006 Jetta DSG-auto TDI
Can't spell: "...smart at marketing CARS" is what I meant. Last runs ARE already completed most likely.

More importantly, I forgot to say I love my new Jetta. It's a great car and I am getting what electronically looks like great mileage (can't wait to use a tank up to see if mileage indications are accurate but this thing doesn't use fuel very fast).

AudioBear

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Of the four dealers I shopped to get my TDi, they all indicated the same thing - that the no-2007-TDi applies here in Canada as well. Get yours quick...

plug_it

They're still making them.

You can still order a 2006 Jetta TDI but the models built after July 1 will be built to the specs of the 2007 Jetta 2.5. There are relatively few differences anyway, most of which are for the better. Get an Order Guide for the 2007 Jetta 2.5 and just imagine that with the TDI engine.

That's what I did when I ordered my 2006 Jetta TDI, which is not scheduled to be built until sometime in July. The biggest difference from the earlier 2006 models is that they have substituted Salsa Red for Spice Red. There are going to be no more Spice Red Jettas at all, I guess. Apparently the late 2006's will have a Tire Inflation Monitoring system, black trim around the windows instead of chrome, and the Package Two's will have a 120v outlet in the back (Yay!).

If you are going to special order one, you need to hurry up and do it. I ordered mine in mid May and they originally told me it would not be built until August but now it looks like July.

Strider

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
plug_it said:
You can still order a 2006 Jetta TDI but the models built after July 1 will be built to the specs of the 2007 Jetta 2.5. There are relatively few differences anyway, most of which are for the better. Get an Order Guide for the 2007 Jetta 2.5 and just imagine that with the TDI engine.
Lets hope that this is still the case when I get back into the country in a month and a half. :) I did notice a few changes in the options and the like in the VWoC website recently. So even if it is still legally a 2006 model, I'm not particularly upset as long as I can get one. Otherwise I dunno what I'll do, probably buy the GTI and grumble every time I have to stand in line with the rest of the gassers. :)

tdisedanman

Veteran Member
TDI
Ex 2005 Passat, TDI and ex 2005.5 Jetta TDI
AudioBear said:
Can't spell: "...smart at marketing CARS" is what I meant. Last runs ARE already completed most likely.

More importantly, I forgot to say I love my new Jetta. It's a great car and I am getting what electronically looks like great mileage (can't wait to use a tank up to see if mileage indications are accurate but this thing doesn't use fuel very fast).

AudioBear
Audiobear,

The MFI is way overly optimistic. I was off by 16-20%. That was like 6 - 8 mpg higher reading than actual MPG. I finally had VW adjust this fore me. The max setting was 115 and now, I seem to be off by about 2 MPG. There are plenty of threads about this problem on several of our VW A5 sights.

Zedbra

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
I have been impressed with Capilano VW in North Vancouver thus far. They gave me the price I wanted, they always go out of their way to accomodate our service needs, and the last time I was there, there were plenty of TDI's to choose from.