Limited Slip Differential

TheMadcap

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 1996 Metallic Green
I remember reading somewhere on here recently about a kit for the differential that would convert it to an 80% limited slip. Does anybody know the website that sold this kit? Thanks

[ December 05, 2002, 05:19: Message edited by: TheMadcap ]

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
It won't fit. It only works with the 020 diff. Your Passat has an 02J.

P.S.: I'm in Erie, and there are a number of Pittsburgh area TDI'ers

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Good catch Meister!

On the passat you need to determine if you have an O2J or O2A output shaft set up. How this is done is pretty easy. Look at the differential output shaft on the passenger side, if you see a green seal holder between the half shaft and the tranny case you have the O2J and that is the Differential you need to order. If there is not a green seal holder pressed into the case then you have an O2A differential with the pressed in half shafts.

Installing a differential is not for the faint of heart either. I have it down to around 3 hours but then again I have all the dial indicators, runout gages and every possible shim YES you need to reshim the new bearings and adjust for proper preload!!!

Also you had better have a heavy duty press because your gonna need it...

DB

TDi RAY

Veteran Member
TDI
Jolf '00 Nogaro Blue.
Originally posted by TDIMeister:
It won't fit. It only works with the 020 diff. Your Passat has an 02J.

P.S.: I'm in Erie, and there are a number of Pittsburgh area TDI'ers
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">A b3 passat has a O2A tranny not an O2J. The o2J is what is in the new A4 platform cars and has a hung motor mount on it from the top. The O2A doesn't have this pervision and has a mount down low that hookes to the front Subframe.

TDi RAY

Veteran Member
TDI
Jolf '00 Nogaro Blue.
DBW the flanges aren't pressed in they are just a c-clipped in and just need to be POPPED out and POPPED back in just to let you know. I got 4 of these to install this winter in 2 are going into G60 A'2's one in a Turbo VR6 Corrado and one in a '98 VR6 gti so I have may hands full.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
Both variations were produced for the Passat TDI's released in the US that is the O2A AND the O2J style output shafts. As a matter of fact Tomo's car came with the O2J shafts but he unkowingly purchased an O2A differential. I ended up just converting the shaft over to the O2A style as the easiest alternative.

Just make sure you identify what outputs shafts the car has prior to ordering the Diff kits.

DB

TheMadcap

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 1996 Metallic Green
Thanks for all the input guys, I had emailed Pete at he informed me that the kit will not work and I would need to buy the entire unit. I haven't decided if I will yet , but its nice to know it's available.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
TheMadcap if you are just looking for a little more traction try the ASR upgrade on the brakeing system. about 300$ with switch all part used ofcourse.

JOE OLEARY

Veteran Member
An LSD is worth every penny.Not just for performance but much safer in the rain or snow.
This is the first week i have had to drive in the snow since installing a LSD.Last year my car was worthless in the snow now it's much better.
Joe

resinguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, Silver
How about a discussion of Quaife vs. Peloquin? I assume they work on a different principle, any pros/cons, etc. ?

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TheMadcap the asr is found on the higher priced line GLX. In simple terms when one wheel starts to spin without ASR it just keeps spinning. With ASR the control ECU stops the spinning wheel and transfers the power to the other wheel and back agian until you are on your way. Very good in snow or rain. If you just want to get off the line fast well the LSD is better fot that. I have both. if i were to do it over the ASR for sure. do a search on asr and you will find more on it.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
Birdman, he has a 96 Passat the ASR is not an option on those cars. Even on the rare ones with ABS the controller (as far as I know) cannot control wheel spin in the sense that ASR does.

I would guess that there were less than 500 TDI Passats ever imported with ABS. The Servo unit does look like the newer ones so I suppose anything is possible.

My vote would be the Differential since there is nothing to wear out or fail in them. They are always on and intantanious in terms of reaction time to slippage.

As far as whats better Quaife or Pelequin Look at it this way they both come with lifetime warranties whether they are used in racing applications or not! These are some seriously overbuilt pieces of engineering. Sad thing is once installed you won't ever see them again, at least until you need to replace the tranny bearings and reshim the shafts.

DB

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
True this would only work on a car that came with ABS Mine DID. is was 96 passat. I DON"T know what controller was on it. But if a MK20 It should still work.

TDi RAY

Veteran Member
TDI
Jolf '00 Nogaro Blue.
Originally posted by resinguy:
How about a discussion of Quaife vs. Peloquin? I assume they work on a different principle, any pros/cons, etc. ?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">May vote would be with peloquin because both diffs are exact copies of each other and both have lifetime warrentys. Peloquin also only makes diffs for VW's and does it for the love of the DUB unlike quaife that is in it only for the money because they make them for every single car out there. And the only reason quaife was selling the o2a and o2j diffs for cheap before was to try and hurt gary peloquins business but they didn't at all.

I say support the little guy