Beetle dies, then comes back to life.

bobd4

TDI
New Beetle, 2000, black
My 2000 beetle is stalling completley out every few days. I notice the glow plug indicator light (the infinity sign)will not relight after one of these stalls for about 2 to 3 minutes. After the indicator flashes, I am back on the road. Can someone help me? going crazy.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
it's too bad your 1st post has to be about mechanial failure. Are you familiar with Relay #109?

Welcome aboard.

bobd4

TDI
New Beetle, 2000, black
thanks for the welcome, not too familiar with that relay 109. After researching it, looking like that may be the problem. wierd thing though. almost always it is in the first 15 minutes of running that the car quits. Thought it may be temperature related, but most of the time now the car is up to temp when it craps out on me. Is this relay "109" an easy fix? Thanks.

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
Yep. It will cost you about $20 US and is available at your dealer or via one of our online TDI vendors. Once you have it you need to access your relays under the dash board and replace the current one marked "109" with the new one. Depending upon which one you currently have you might need to insert the new one upside-down relative to the old one.

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Is this relay "109" an easy fix? Thanks.
You need a Torx (size 15, I think) screwdriver to remove three screws that hold the cover at the top of the driver's footwell.
The relais sits, togther with other relais, in a relay panel that is mounted to the firewall.
The relais removes by pulling it straight out.

It is easy to do, takes you maybe 20 mins tops (including identifying the screws, wiggling yourself into the footwell etc.). A garage usually charges dearly for that.