Beware the Monster Mats

mleone

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, TDI, 2004 Passat Wagon TDI
I recently purchased a set of VW Monster floor mats for my 2000 Jetta. Genuine VW accessory, deep groove rubber to trap all sand and snow, etc. Supposedly designed to fit vehicle using anchor posts. Tha rear mats don't fit! They look like jigsaw puzzle pieces and have anchors for two posts, not one like my Jetta has.
I called VW customer care, they are aware of the problem but can't help me in any way. They suggest return to dealer, but I've already used front mats (nice).
VWoA supplied these mats designed for this vehicle and will not honor their mistake! They won't even give me any other # to call and plead my case ( that's all handled internally....).
Anyone know how I can contact a regional rep that some people have used for problems? Be sure to check these mats before you purchase them for fit to your Jetta! VW couldn't care less!

Dorado

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle TDI, 2002, Cool White
We got the "CatchAll" mat set for our VW bug from The Real Source Catalog (http://www.800luvbugg.com/), and they fit perfectly. They have the two anchor slots per mat in the front. The two small mats for the back do not come with the anchor slots, but it's not an issue back there anyway.

**DONOTDELETE**

In MY 2001, the anchors for the rear mats changed from 1 in the back to 2 in the back.

Did anyone ask you what model year you had?

Maybe you could put in the classifieds here or at Vortex that you're looking to trade/sell, and hope that some helpful (asz)soul would go along with it.

You'd probably have better luck on this board.

Magellan01

Veteran Member
For the front mats the part number you need is 3D0 864 523A. I have not gotten the updated clips, but I guess they actually work. There was a post in the General VW section awhile ago about this.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
In most states, there is a general law about implied warranty of fitness. Since VW made the claim that they fit your vehicle, they have to make it fit or full refund. Perhaps one of our legal type folks could chime in here.

I think you are entitled to a full refund.

asparks

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 1999, Silver
Ours fit our '01 Golf as stated when the change occured and I was looking at my '99 and it dawned on me then why they came with extra screw in anchors, they go into the carpet in the rear. For pre-01 MK4's. Did your MMs not come with extra screw in clips??? I think I still have the extras somewhere since I didn't have to use them in the '01, can't remember.

TDITONY

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS TDi Black
MLEONE,

Want to sell those rear mats? I got an 02 Jetta and they would fit nicely. I thought about buying the MM's but they are $$ and my local Sams Club had a killer set of rubber front mats for about 20 bucks. They fit very well too. Not perfect like the MM's but they have kept the salt off my carpet for this year.

Email me if you want to get rid of those rears.

Sorry to hear about the troubles.

TDiTony
02 Jetta GLS

mleone

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, TDI, 2004 Passat Wagon TDI
Thanks for all the input; the box that they came in specifically says "Jetta 2000" on it. Everyone at VW and the dealer knew nothing of the change (imagine that...)in design. Dealer specifically asked what year, model, etc. so things were understood clearly.
There were no extra screw anchors included with these mats. Part # ZVW 179 004.
I bought these through ebay from West Broad Audi-VW. Price for the set was $72; better than I've seen anywhere else. These people are pretty nice and have great prices. I bought splash guards and fuel filters as well.
What pi$$es me is VW's response to the problem. I've heard of people contacting a regional rep from VW to intervene in problems with customers. Anyone know how to contact these people? I was stonewalled at VW customer service 800-822-8987.

TDITONY: You're the first in line if I sell them, thanks!

Mike

Magellan01

Veteran Member
That part number above does not work. I went to the dealer to pick it up and it is not valid. They told me they will look into it, but they usually drill out the hole to make it fit. What kind of solution is that. I will say that I love my car, but my dealer experiences have been horrible. My next car will not be a VW.

Sc0

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf GL 5sp Candy White Tan cloth interior
I bought some Mats for my '02 Golf and it came with the jig-saw rear mats. They are cut-out for the front seat rails and such so as not to cause any type of interference. I tried installing the rear Monster mats into a '02 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI, they looked a bit funky so I installed them into my Golf and they fit fine.
(Golf has cloth seats, Jetta wagon GLS has heated leather) BTW: I pays considerably more than you for my Mats... one dealer wanted $88 just for the two front mats, can you believe it?
That dealership is Advantage VW which is the same companey as Momentum in the Houston, TX area.

I don't know if the Jetta's had different rear mats but did you have them on the proper sides? My Mats also came with 4-extra screw in posts for the rear mats since my car didn't come with them and my dealer/Service Writer refused to give me some saying that they weren't suppose to be installed. (BS!~)