I think my heater core is leaking :(

Rhinoracer

TDI
2003 dark blue NB
Just replaced mine with the oem vw core, the core drops in easily in a couple of seconds (after 8 hrs of tearing apart the dash and center console).

Make sure you clean the antifreeze from the housing before reassembly or the smell won't go away.

One telltale sign the core is leaking is the windshield fogs up as soon as you turn the heat on.

Take a lot of pics or video so you're not left with a dozen screws after reassembly.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I'm going through the various threads on Vortex trying to internalize the process. It's difficult since all the photos have vanished. I can tell it's not going to be fun though.

A few questions:

“Does only the plastic part of the engine cowl need to come off or the metal under pan as well? “

Just the plastic on top, personally I’ve gotten rid of mine, makes it easier to get to the engine.

“Rather than buy just the plastic fittings, I bought the entire two hoses thinking they're 20 years old and
I'd just better. “

You will need the plastic ends regardless as they have to come off and usually the o-ring is shot.

“Do the plastic quick connects simply pull straight off the core tubes or is it necessary to release
something first? “

There is a metal clip that you slide to one side to release the lock then you have to twist slightly to release the seal adhesion.

“I'm thinking it would probably be advisable to start it after installing the new parts and re-filling in order
to check for leaks and test the new fan motor. How much needs to be reassembled to do this? “

The steering wheel with the air bag, the cluster at a minimum.
Before you start this MAKE SURE BATTERY IS DISCONNECTED!!

“Must the lower center console between the seats come out? “

Only the front forward one that’s around the shifter forward.

Last edited:

ericas_beetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle
Cool, a few hints there. Couldn't tell if he meant the main cross member needs to come all the way out of the car or just loosened. The Haynes says loosened so it can be moved a bit.

ericas_beetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle
Just replaced mine with the oem vw core, the core drops in easily in a couple of seconds (after 8 hrs of tearing apart the dash and center console)
Ouch

Make sure you clean the antifreeze from the housing before reassembly or the smell won't go away.

Definitely, I think I'll be washing out the vent tubes as well, and the adjustable vents. They're super gummed up

One telltale sign the core is leaking is the windshield fogs up as soon as you turn the heat on.
It is definitely doing that, near instant.

Take a lot of pics or video so you're not left with a dozen screws after reassembly.
I shall do my best. Hopefully not more than 1 or 2 left.

ericas_beetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle
You will need the plastic ends regardless as they have to come off and usually the o-ring is shot.
Thankfully the plastic fittings come on the new hoses, at least I think they do. On each hose, one end has them and the other end I'm assuming get clamped on? Or is there supposed to be a quick release on both ends?

There is a metal clip that you slide to one side to release the lock then you have to twist slightly to release the seal adhesion.
Ah cool, thx. I shall practice it on the new ones.

The steering wheel with the air bag, the cluster at a minimum.
Before you start this MAKE SURE BATTERY IS DISCONNECTED!!
Will do, just the driver's or passenger side as well?

I'll have to check it in daylight. I kind of remember it being more or less a long single assembly.

ericas_beetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle
I had a look at mine. The part that the shifter comes through is the cover to the center console which extends from back to front, stopping at the vertical plastic under the climate control. So does this entire assembly need to come out or just those parts of it under the radio/climate console?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
It should be a two piece.
Just behind the shifter on each side of console, ( might have to move the seats back ) are two dime size covers, remove the cover and there is a screw on each side, remove them.
Then by the accelerator pedal and on the passenger side I are two more screws that need to be removed.
Remove the ashtray and there is a screw under there, loosen the boot around the shifter wiggle the console and that forward console will come out.
A Bentley factory manual would really be helpful to you.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Erica- A bit late for this comment, I know, but did you every verify that the thing is fact leaking?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah Bob she did.

Quote:
It is definitely doing that, near instant.

mason097

TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI
just got done with mine yesterday (in Austin as well) and it's working excellently. Only one bolt remaining (t-25 in the steering wheel area? oh well). Hardest parts for me were getting the 4 bolts on the front side of the firewall and basic confusion from lack of organization. I have a 99.5 jetta and it has the split box. The guide on VWVortex was all I needed.

ericas_beetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle
just got done with mine yesterday (in Austin as well) and it's working excellently. Only one bolt remaining (t-25 in the steering wheel area? oh well). Hardest parts for me were getting the 4 bolts on the front side of the firewall and basic confusion from lack of organization. I have a 99.5 jetta and it has the split box. The guide on VWVortex was all I needed.
Congrats Mason! What was your total time? I'm debating starting on mine this weekend or not. I got scared about lack of information and ordered a used Bentley but it won't be here for a while. My garage space ends on the 20th. It's encouraging that the vortex thread was enough to do it.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
My nephew swore off VWs after helping a friend replace a heater core, and he was a certified mechanic. It takes a lot of time and patience, ballpark 8-24 hours.
I noticed My Turbo Diesel has recently recovered their How Tos, they're very good, but unorganized. They don't have one specifically for heater core, but they do have some on the "steps", like center console removal.
1998-2003 mk4 VW Jetta Golf New Beetle "how to" index
hth

ericas_beetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle
My nephew swore off VWs after helping a friend replace a heater core, and he was a certified mechanic. It takes a lot of time and patience, ballpark 8-24 hours.
I noticed My Turbo Diesel has recently recovered their How Tos, they're very good, but unorganized. They don't have one specifically for heater core, but they do have some on the "steps", like center console removal.
1998-2003 mk4 VW Jetta Golf New Beetle "how to" index
hth
Unfortunately it looks like they only recovered the index. I tried clicking a bunch and the links were dead :( Worth a try though.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It took me 11 hrs to do mine in my neighbors barn during and ice storm with a portable propane forced air heater.....was quite the experience !

mason097

TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI
took me a total of 16ish hours over 2 days. I think I could do it again under 8 now that I know the ins and outs.

ericas_beetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle
Bah, not going well at all, outer upper and lower dash fronts are off, radio console out. I've now lost 2 full hours trying to get the damn airbag off including making the tool this guy suggested in this video. I've tried every one of these screwdrivers. I can feel it hitting the spring and the spring moving but no matter which way I pry it the bag post won't release. I pull the tool out and the post clicks back into place again. Maybe a previous mechanic boogered it. I hate this BS.

I suppose there is zero chance of completing this with the wheel still on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX0d-feG-g0

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I've never done it without taking the steering wheel off. They're definitely weird to get out. I've always used just a pocket screwdriver.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I remember being frustrated getting that wheel off, it has been a while but I seem to remember having to go in at an angle not straight with the screwdriver

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
You might be on the wrong side of the spring

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I really don’t remember other than it was not straight on and when at the right angle it comes off easy

ericas_beetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle
Hokay, a mere 3 hours later and it's off, and it only cost me one steering wheel! One side had to be pried so far the wheel material bulged out an 1/8". The other side wouldn't release until the whee material was pried out about 1/4" which was more than it wanted to be pried and the foam tore. I can't wait to go shopping for a totally not German car in the future :p

So does anything have to be done to keep the clock spring from going sproing when the wheel is pulled off after removing the nut?

ericas_beetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle
A bit farther. A spec of good news. It is the split box. I can see the clips. Not sure how much more of this must come out at this point? The whole plastic rail with the defrosters I assume? Nasty awful job.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
A bit farther. A spec of good news. It is the split box. I can see the clips. Not sure how much more of this must come out at this point? The whole plastic rail with the defrosters I assume? Nasty awful job.

Now that you got the hang of it, I wish you were here to do one in my future. I'm getting too old to be pretzeling my self under the dash.

ericas_beetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle
I hate getting beat. The lower heater box mounting stud just spins. It isn't going to come out. Anyone want a beetle in 200 pieces? Think twice before wasting a weekend on this awful job.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
I hate getting beat. The lower heater box mounting stud just spins. It isn't going to come out. Anyone want a beetle in 200 pieces? Think twice before wasting a weekend on this awful job.

Step back for a little while and it will come to you how to deal with it.
Got a Dremel tool?

ericas_beetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle
Alrighty, I had someone tug while I ratcheted and it finally came loose. Unfortunately the breaky plastic struck again. In addition to all the screw tabs that turned into fragments over the years, one of the pieces of plastic that the cable stay clip snaps to is broken, so it's sitting overnight with JB weld on it. If that doesn't hold, the whole cable will have to be glued to the box. Nightmare.

Hour 14 and assembly hasn't even begun other than installing the new fan and heater matrix. Looks like I'll be setting the wrong kind of record.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Don’t give up hope.......it’s not hard just tedious.
The first time I did this job was on a 98 new beetle non Tdi , it took over 2 days as I had no clue how to go about this and it wasn’t really out there on how to go about doing this.

I’ve still got 4 more in my future to do. The second time it took 11 hrs.
Each time will get faster ......at least for me.

Keep up the good work......you’ll get there.....