CD Changer skip issues

yosemitesamiam

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf, 02 Jetta
Hey everyone. I just bought a year old cd changer and was wondering if I could make sure it is installed correctly in my 01 Golf GLS TDI. The car had the bracket installed already from the factory with all the prewiring...I screwed the changer in using the two face screws, nothing more....clipped it into the wiring and presto! But since making sure my tires had 44psi in each, I've found that every bad bump or lane change (hitting the reflectors) produces skipping. Is it a problem with the mounting or the changer?

Thanks, sam.

**unrelated**

Oh also...there is a hazard logo on the same panel as the CD changer...but I don't see anything else back there other than the amp for the stereo. What goes there strapped to the back panel?

Thanks again!

Sam

1oldfrt

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI, silverstone grey w/moonroof
My changer skips when my tires are at 44 psi too. At the factory suggested 26 psi, no skip. Played with the tire pressure a bit and found around 35 psi was the max I could go without too much skip, still get some with good bumps. What is happening is the higher tire pressure is keeping the sidewall from flexing as it is designed to do, this increases the impact vibration throughout the car causing the laser head to vibrate and skip. Your 2000 body parts are also feeling the impact vibration as well. Try playing with your tire pressure until you find the sweet spot where everything works correctly.

yosemitesamiam

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf, 02 Jetta
HMMM...INTERESTING! I think maybe I'll try to shock mount the cd changer first and see...I'm enjoying my mileage too much to let air out now!