Trailer Hitches Prices Going DOWN

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I want a trailer hitch. I am considered all the below. Comments requested.

CURT, about $120 to the door. Easy to install nut hangs low and cross bar visible. Very easy to install. I think the receiver adapter and ball so add about $30 or$ 40.

ECOHITCH, about $275 + free ground shipping, still exposed receiver but ticked up tight to the "bumper" cover, requires bumper cover removal. You need to buy the receiver adapter and ball I think. So that adds another $30 or $40. Which gets it close to the Euro hitches.

Westfalia, big price drop about $236 + Shipping from UK about $100-$130. This is the well known hidden Euro hitch. PF Jones is only dealer and shipping is costly. However with lower hitch price, it's not too bad. It comes with a goose neck and integrated ball.

Bosal, Now carried by IDParts and about $329 + shipping (?). I did not even know of this brand. It too is a hidden hitch like Westfaila. I think this also comes with goose neck and ball.

They all are tempting. For cheap CURT hands down winner. The Delux Euro hitches are pretty close in price and look similar, but the Westfalia looks better from pictures. Opinions.

Question what is the best value in electronic adapter box for turn and brake?

EDIT I GOT MOST OF IT DONE... WIRING NEXT.. 8 HOURS TO DO THIS... NOT FAST BUT FAIRLY STRAIGHT FORWARD

Last edited:

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
I would go with a euro hitch. I personally imported a bosal set up for my mk6 from pfjones. The westfalia and bosal are almost identical and actually the westfalia was typically the more expensive out of the 2, so being that u can get the westfalia cheaper I'd go with it. It is worth the cost and extra install. The curt hitches mount into sheet metal whereas the westfalia and bosal mount into the frame rails. Big difference. I would also go with the euro electrics for your system. Forgot the aftermarket junk. You miss out on all the cool features that integrate the trailer to the can bus system. Such as bulb monitoring, alarm sensor if the trailer is disconnected and trailer stability control. Also if you have park sensors the trailer module communicates with that system.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
I went that route going with a full euro install. The electrics were a pita because the mk6 north American jettas have a hybrid bcm so all of the write ups that I found were of very little help. It took a lot of pioneering. But the golf uses the 3 prong bcm which makes for the install as easy as the euro variants

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
Keep in mind that the prices listed on PFJones include the VAT, which you don't have to pay unless you live in Europe. If you email them, they'll give you the price without the VAT, which is 20%. A $236 hitch is really $188 + shipping.

+1 on the euro electrics. Just be sure to buy a Westfalia kit, so that it can be coded to NAR. You can do a lot of stuff with a 13 pin set up.

Last edited:

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I'm interested in a hitch that tucks up as high as possible, for ground clearance. I'm also interested in a hitch with the female reciever, to mount a bike rack. I wonder if it's possible to modify the Bosal hitch to fit a trailer hitch bike rack?

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Been watching the $$ too...
Keep in mind the cheap Curt is a basic hitch...with lower ratings...and the euro hitches have better, more firm mounting, and higher ratings, and a 2 inch ball (ok, 1.97, lol)
I just wish the euro ones had a receiver connector, so you could use a bike rack, etc.

I'm leaning towards the bosal unit...I can pick it up...no shipping or have ID-parts do the install...

Last edited:

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
One more suggestion...
While using the euro electronics offers some nice stuff, it means you CANNOT tow most north American trailers...the plug will be different. Guess if you have a dedicated camper or utility trailer, and wire it, great, but if you want to tow something different, you are kinda out of luck....

schreibers

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI
Westfalia hitch is well worth it even with an Oem bumper cover. We have one more trip with our teardrop and then I'm taking mine off along with the votex valence cover prior to buyback.

As for trailer wiring I used the module linked in vw_Leadfoots tutorial with a Hopkins 7 blade + 5 flat hookup purchased from etrailer as well as which we utilize for the teardrop and or a utility trailer depending on what is used

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
One more suggestion...
While using the euro electronics offers some nice stuff, it means you CANNOT tow most north American trailers...the plug will be different. Guess if you have a dedicated camper or utility trailer, and wire it, great, but if you want to tow something different, you are kinda out of luck....
False, you can make your own 13 to 4 or 7 system plug as I have and others.

Buy this adapter
https://www.amazon.com/docooler-Trailer-13-Pole-Connector-Caravan/dp/B00S97S56C
And then buy either a 4 flat or 7 and wire it in accordance to this diagram

Connect to pin 1, 3, 4 and 5 for a 4 flat.

It's that easy

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
I'm interested in a hitch that tucks up as high as possible, for ground clearance. I'm also interested in a hitch with the female reciever, to mount a bike rack. I wonder if it's possible to modify the Bosal hitch to fit a trailer hitch bike rack?
Sriracha
At one point there was an adapter for the westfalia and bosal receivers that allowed for a 2"femal receiver. I haven't found any place to purchase it though.
The bosal and westfalia are the best if you're looking for ground clearance. They tuck up the highest and the u shape design of it, leaves the ball at a much greater height than the other cheaper set ups

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
IDParts has the Bosal and today that is what I would buy.
On my 2013 I used the Westafia along with the euro wiring kit and adapted the wiring to work with a US trailer.
It did require some diodes and a switch to get it to function for lamp datect and "auto" detect for the trailer.
I wanted the trailer module to work with the car electronics so I went to the trouble to get it working.
Unfortunately for the Jetta I could not find a module that was actually reprogrammable for NAR trailer lighting. This was the main hassle.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
What Euro Harness do I need for my 2010 Jetta Sport Wagen. I have a Ross Tech full CANBUS programmer.

I assume I only need 7 pin. Where is the factory plug or connection? Is it plug and play. It seems the universal type will work.

Last edited:

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
Here is what came with the kit I boughthttps://www.transportsysteme24.de/elektrosatz/elektrosatz-13-polig-fahrzeugspezifisch-ac-vw-golf-vi-variant-kombi-typ-aj-t249307-ts24-5.html

This will require some additions like I outlined in my installation posts.
The Module will NOT take the VCDS adaptation to the NAR settings.

There will also take some wiring and diodes along with a DPST switch to put the module into the trailer mode so that the light loads are compatable.
You would still need a converter for the three light euro to two light brake/turn/stop and tail lights.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Here is what came with the kit I boughthttps://www.transportsysteme24.de/elektrosatz/elektrosatz-13-polig-fahrzeugspezifisch-ac-vw-golf-vi-variant-kombi-typ-aj-t249307-ts24-5.html

This will require some additions like I outlined in my installation posts.
The Module will NOT take the VCDS adaptation to the NAR settings.
-this is false, it depends on what system you purchased. If memory serves me correct you purchased an Eric jaeger module. If you purchase the westfalia module, the module will in fact take NAR settings. Several people have and can confirm this.

There will also take some wiring and diodes along with a DPST switch to put the module into the trailer mode so that the light loads are compatable.
You would still need a converter for the three light euro to two light brake/turn/stop and tail lights.
-also false this was in your case most likely due to the module that you purchased. If you buy the actual oe module made by westfalia, there are no diodes needed. It is completely 100% plug and play system. No converter is needed with the oe westfalia trailer module.

On my 2013 I used the Westafia along with the euro wiring kit and adapted the wiring to work with a US trailer.
It did require some diodes and a switch to get it to function for lamp datect and "auto" detect for the trailer.
I wanted the trailer module to work with the car electronics so I went to the trouble to get it working.
Unfortunately for the Jetta I could not find a module that was actually reprogrammable for NAR trailer lighting. This was the main hassle.
That is not the case with the westfalia module as I used and so did GJAS18. There are no additional diodes needed and it DOES work for the NAR Jetta with no additional diodes etc.
You only have to make sure that
1.you purchase the genuine westfalia tow module. Both GJAS18 and myself purchased ours from pfjones.
2.you make sure that you specify to pfjones that you are purchasing the LHD, not RHD version of the module to ensure compatability with the NAR region cars.
3. If your trailer has led lights or if you're planning on upgrading your trailer to led, you have to make sure you're selecting the correct westfalia module that supports it. They have 2, one that supports led and the other thay does not. Both will work with the trailer, but if you purchase the module that doesn't support led you will constantly have the bulb out indicator lamp on the dash on.

What Euro Harness do I need for my 2010 Jetta Sport Wagen. I have a Ross Tech full CANBUS programmer.

I assume I only need 7 pin. Where is the factory plug or connection? Is it plug and play. It seems the universal type will work.
Make sure you purchase the 13 pin version. It is a more robust system and supports more options, such as a dedicated 12v to charge a second battery etc. It also allows for an easier install of electric brakes if u go that route.

As I mentioned before, I would purchase it from PFJONES. Both myself and gjas18 did so and had no problems with our systems. Others, including red , purchased modules elsewhere and had issues with theirs.
I can attest wholeheartedly if you go the route that I suggested, it is a complete 100 percent plug n play system. It is an easy install, especially for the golf as the bcm is the same as ROW. On the passat and in my case the jetta, the bcm is a bit more of a headache as the install instructions are for row vehicles and the NAR Jetta and passat have their own hybrid bcm with pin outs that do not match any other car. So I in essence was a guinea pig when I did my install, as I was the first documented NAR install for the mk6 jetta. But I did a pretty thorough writeup that I posted the link to, that will make that same install a lot easier for whoever chooses to install it in theirs.

This is the kit that I purchased:

http://www.pfjones.co.uk/vag-tow-bar-13-pin-dedicated-wiring-kit-321600300153.html

I installed it in my 2014 jetta tdi. When you order make sure you're ordering the westfalia kit, your option for led or no led (I didn't opt for led), and that you contact them and let them know to remove rhe vat from the price (ordering outside of the uk requires no vat charge) and that you're purchasing it for a LHD version car.

Again, do as you please but like I said I can confirm for a fact both gjas and myself went this route and had zero problems. You're in a far better position to buy now than gjas and myself were in as 1. We were both guinea pigs for our perspective cars
2. The gbp to usd was pretty crappy then. It's a lot better now so it comes out cheaper
3. The price is a lot cheaper overall. If I'm not mistaken I paid almost 300 before the usd to gbp conversion and minus the vat, and also they didn't include shipping then. So it may have been over 300 bucks. Can't remmeber now

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
Perhaps the Westfalia modules from PF Jones in the UK and from the German site are different, but I assure you the module in my setup is exactly as I said it was and it is a Westfalia part.
Of course the UK kit costs more and if what you say is correct then it is worth the difference.
The module with three plugs seems to be programmable, but the one from the continent has two plugs and is not.
Buy the PF Jones unit and pay the extra $$100.00
I may have saved more money than I should have.
Both kits are genuine Westfalia part numbers, but the Euro version does not have the programmability we need.
I assure you that that unit is not programmable even though it is definitely Westfalia.
The unit from PF Jones looks to be the same module you would get if you bought the module from VW for a Tiguan.
I would have changed mine out except I didn't have the plugs to go with that type and I didn't want to change the whole harness.
The PF Jones kit may include the power wiring to the front for the trailer 12 volt power which I had to add to a circuit breaker and relay.
At the same time I installed the Tekonsha P3 electronic brake controller wiring so I would not have to go back in for that.
Now everything is installed and working (with the kludge for the trailer detect etc)
I would say the extra money for the proper kit with programmability is worth the extra in time trouble and extra converters and hassle.)

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Perhaps the Westfalia modules from PF Jones in the UK and from the German site are different, but I assure you the module in my setup is exactly as I said it was and it is a Westfalia part.
Of course the UK kit costs more and if what you say is correct then it is worth the difference.
The module with three plugs seems to be programmable, but the one from the continent has two plugs and is not.
Both kits are genuine Westfalia part numbers, but the Euro version does not have the programmability we need.
I assure you that that unit is not programmable even though it is definitely Westfalia.
The unit from PF Jones looks to be the same module you would get if you bought the module from VW for a Tiguan.
I would have changed mine out except I didn't have the plugs to go with that type and I didn't want to change the whole harness.
The PF Jones kit may include the power wiring to the front for the trailer 12 volt power which I had to add to a circuit breaker and relay.
At the same time I installed the Tekonsha P3 electronic brake controller wiring so I would not have to go back in for that.
Now everything is installed and working (with the kludge for the trailer detect etc)
I would say the extra money for the proper kit with programmability is worth the extra in time trouble and extra converters and hassle.)
That makes sense. I thought at one point you said it was an erich jaeger unit. My apologies for that. Maybe it was an older unit or maybe the unit they sold you was incorrectly listed for the car you have on their website.

The jetta and passat are especially confusing.

For the Jetta I found that our bcm is a hybrid version of thr vw Polo medium + and high ++

I never dug for the passat, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's some funky variant like this.

But yea thr pfjones versions are 100 percent compatible for thr golf and jetta. I use mine quite often. Although the last 4 months I haven't due to it being in the shop

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
This is the harness I made. Most of my towing is with 4 flat but I can easily change this to 7 if needed. The loom can be purchased at any autopart for like 5 bucks. And the adapter I've already posted in thr thread.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Hey Red
So I got my car back and I was cleaning it out and found my invoice for the westfalia module I purchased.
Take note on the model number I circled, is yours the same?

Also see the notes I've circled as well. I indicated to them that I needed ROW compatibility, so this may be the issue with yours that you got one specific to uk RHD v.s. the LHD version.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
I am sure it is not the same.
While the module is Westfalia, it is the Euro only version and actually automatically sets itself up, but it is not programmable for the rest of the world.
The one you have is the one you want.
This was not an option from the German company I bought from and I really did not know the difference.
It was a lot cheaper than the PF Jones unit, but a PITA.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
I just ordered my PF Jones Westfalia Tow hitch and the 13 VW wiring. They had to delay shipping, to get the 13 pin wiring.

How do you install the wiring?

Anyone have the instructions?

Can I use me Ross Tech to program the car?

Thanks

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
I just ordered my PF Jones Westfalia Tow hitch and the 13 VW wiring. They had to delay shipping, to get the 13 pin wiring.

How do you install the wiring?

Anyone have the instructions?

Can I use me Ross Tech to program the car?

Thanks
The kit comes with install instructions. Did you read my other posts? Make sure you specify it's for a RHD car and to remove the vat from thr price as you're outside of the uk.

If installed correctly the car will recognize and code the manual. You only need to go in and change a couple of settings with vcds.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
The second page of this thread has a link to the write up that I did.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
The second page of this thread has a link to the write up that I did.

Thanks a million!!! :D

I saw your post! Excellent.

I emailed PF Jones to confirm I was not charged UK VAT....

Last edited:

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Thanks a million!!! :D

I saw your post! Excellent.

I emailed PF Jones to confirm I was not charged UK VAT....
Not a problem friend. Let me know if I can be of further help

Btw what car are you installing it in?

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Hello Tdiforum

Very very impressed with the level of expertise on this forum thread.

Tdiforum we salute you.
And we salute you! You made it very easy for myself and others to purchase from your site, despite being a foreign company/website. This is not common practice for us Americans. Your customer support is top notch, I called and emailed and everytime it was an excellent experience.

PFJones.co.uk

TDI
Audi A3 1.9 Tdi
And we salute you! You made it very easy for myself and others to purchase from your site, despite being a foreign company/website. This is not common practice for us Americans. Your customer support is top notch, I called and emailed and everytime it was an excellent experience.

Really pleased to hear that you are happy with the customer support that the team were able to deliver on each and every time you have dealt with ourselves.

I will pass your comments onto the owner of the company and let him know how well the sales team have been doing.

Big Big Thank You for the recommendations and the continued support, may I take this opportunity to wish you all many happy trouble free years of towing.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep PF Jones UK just send some timely emails about billing and a short shipping delay,
and then a few days later followed up with shipping notice on my hitch and electrics order ... Great communication.

Two questions folks;

1) What about tow chain attachment?

2) Still not clear on the cutting of the bumper cover. I assume you cut careful
and try and salvage the removed part to make the cover, or is there a prefab
(and painted) cover you can buy? Seems I am reading both.

Last edited: