VCDS with real controller will not connect to Airbag

KillyMcGee

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jeta 5 Speed
It connected last week, I read the error code and figured out my driver side seat belt had a short to ground. I replaced the seat belt reel and now I get a failed to init controller, no response. Real Ross Tech controller and latest version of VCDS.

Am I going to have to replace my controller?

UPDATE: Had to replace controller. Found a none crashed 01 in the salvage and for $20 I swapped it out

Last edited:

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Can you connect to other control modules at this time with VCDS??
I don't use my VCDS often and if it updates the software it seems to loose my port setting and I need to go in and reconfigure it so it works again.

KillyMcGee

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jeta 5 Speed
Can you connect to other control modules at this time with VCDS??
I don't use my VCDS often and if it updates the software it seems to loose my port setting and I need to go in and reconfigure it so it works again.
I can run the autoscan and the airbag is the only one it can't connect to. ABS, Instruments etc all work.

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
I would disconnect the seat belt and try again. Then check for a bad fuse,
Some times you can over heat the ABS controller and it locks up and needs time to cool down.
Pull the ABS controller plug off and clean then reinstall and retest. Is the ABS light flashing??
If none of the above fixes it the controller failed.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I would disconnect the seat belt and try again. Then check for a bad fuse,
Some times you can over heat the ABS controller and it locks up and needs time to cool down.
Pull the ABS controller plug off and clean then reinstall and retest. Is the ABS light flashing??
If none of the above fixes it the controller failed.
I think you're getting the controller(s) in question confused. ABS for anti-lock? AB for air bags (SRS)?
Never heard of overheating a control module.

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
Some how I saw ABS in the subject line. But the flow chart is the same. And yes you can over heat a VW controller with VCDS to the point where it locks up and needs to cool down in side. Like when you ask it to do a output test to many times in a row.

KillyMcGee

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jeta 5 Speed
Swapped in one from a salvaged Jetta and light and codes were able to be erased. No new codes and no light now.