99 Golf long crank time to start

rrraabit

TDI
'97 Jetta; '99 Golf; '12 Jetta
I'm at my wits end. The problem is a long crank time to start, at least 5 to 8 sec. It happens if the engine is hot or cold, including directly after use at operating temp. Clearly not a glow plug issue because even if the engine is off for only a few minutes, the long crank time still occurs. After engine is started, everything is in order, no unusual smoke, runs normal. Engine is basically stock less EGR delete and a K&N air filter. Some times a mix of about B20. I've checked all the basics. A long list of things I've checked: Timing is slightly advanced. The IQ is about 4. I've eliminated the cars fuel system by putting container of fuel in eng. compt. and running pick-up and return lines to it. I use clear fuel lines to and from the fuel filter to the IP with no sign of any bubbles. Also I checked the little pressure regulator on the IP. Any ideas what to try next would be greatly appreciated. Battery and starter seam normal.

rrraabit

TDI
'97 Jetta; '99 Golf; '12 Jetta
No help with a cold engine, definitely a help with an engine that's up to operating temperature. With the CTS sensor disconnected it starts immediately. Replaced sensor, same effect as before. Only when sensor is disconnected is there any different results. even tried disconnecting all glow plugs, no help. How does the CTS sensor effect the IP?

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
No help with a cold engine, definitely a help with an engine that's up to operating temperature. With the CTS sensor disconnected it starts immediately. Replaced sensor, same effect as before. Only when sensor is disconnected is there any different results. even tried disconnecting all glow plugs, no help. How does the CTS sensor effect the IP?
There's an issue with the hot start maps in the 99.5 cars.. The only way to fix it is to either A) Unplug the CTS = using the cold start maps, or B) Get a tune to correct the bad hot start maps from the factory.

microsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
new beetle, 1999,blue
Just curious???
doesthr 99.5 year cars include the beetles?
because I have a build date of late 98.5 , and I have the same issue???
Or
Does the firmware match up to ecm build dates that is the problem???
038 906 018 bk build date 9-25-98

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Just curious???
doesthr 99.5 year cars include the beetles?
because I have a build date of late 98.5 , and I have the same issue???
Or
Does the firmware match up to ecm build dates that is the problem???
038 906 018 bk build date 9-25-98
Yes,
all 98 -99 New beetles has same kind of ECU just different software.

microsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
new beetle, 1999,blue
thanks,

so the fix for my car would be soldering in a hardware socket, reading original chip, then burning in compensating firmware,and changing rpm component range, optionally making performance upgrades
simultaneously???

or would the chip be soldered directly to board??

would love to get rid of hot start issue but semi- satisfied with performance...feelfree to pm me with viable solutions please

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
If you trying to do your self , by the time you invest money for all tool soldering station, hot air station it will cost you 5x more than send that ECU to tuner and tune it.
On Beetle you need to replace chips.
On jetta /Golf you can rewrite old one, but you need to clean them very good.

2ManyKMfor1Tank

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Before you go through all this trouble, change the starter and have the battery tested. My dad's starter 'seemed' ok until we put a new one in and it made all the difference. We(I) did tons of research on all the fixes but the best solution sometimes is overlooked and a lot easier than a remap.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Before you go through all this trouble, change the starter and have the battery tested. My dad's starter 'seemed' ok until we put a new one in and it made all the difference. We(I) did tons of research on all the fixes but the best solution sometimes is overlooked and a lot easier than a remap.
That is going to fix problem for some time , but problem will come back. Trust me on this.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
If you trying to do your self , by the time you invest money for all tool soldering station, hot air station it will cost you 5x more than send that ECU to tuner and tune it.
On Beetle you need to replace chips.
On jetta /Golf you can rewrite old one, but you need to clean them very good.
You don't need hot air just for a few chips. Use chipquik and it worked great. Socketed my own ECU and saved a ton of $$$.

microsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
new beetle, 1999,blue
i had starter rebuilt and new battery, temporarily did start hot,and when it cameback,
i felt like i wasted my money, if the dual mass flywheel was swapped out would that make it spin over faster???

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
i had starter rebuilt and new battery, temporarily did start hot,and when it cameback,
i felt like i wasted my money, if the dual mass flywheel was swapped out would that make it spin over faster???
Fixing ECU is about $400-$450.
I have tune in my car for last 50k , original starter, original DMF, 150k on the car. Car fire up every time after 1 sec.
I am not counting batter because battery is the one thing that you will replace every 3-5 years no matter what.
So tell me what is the better , do the tune or spend $1000 + for DMF and Starter ?

2ManyKMfor1Tank

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Warning!! Necro post!
Wanted to update this. Dad's car(Formerly member Windex's) is still running strong after the starter swap 4 years later. He is buying a truck this weekend, and giving it to me (YAY!). Sadly, my poor old jetta died just over a year ago, and I made the sad mistake of buying a corolla. Boy oh boy, I tell you I didn't realize just how different 2 cars can be till I realized how crappy my commute turned when I realized I couldn't accelerate up hills, pass people without taking a 10 second run at it, or feel the safety of the extra 1500 lbs or so of metal in front of me, beside me, and behind me that would surely protect me from sudden death should one of the many texters somehow make it past my avoidance techniques.
Sure wanted to thank the heck out of Windex, my Dad has loved his car - pulls a trailer to Manitoulin on a decently regular basis. He has 2 trailers, one is a heavy brute that my friend pulled with both his truck, and his nissan altima, and he swore up and down it weighed 4000 lbs. My dad says he never even feels it behind him, sometimes forgets he's pulling anything at all. He'll sure miss the mileage, but at almost 79, I want him to think more about safety than economy. His wife thanked me for finding the car, as she claims the money he has saved in fuel has allowed him to build a beauty of a camp on Manitoulin.
I am going to drive it till I can't no more.
I even have a spare engine(From my old jetta) in case the body lasts more than a few years.

Thanks Adam, from my Dad, our family including my Australian Brother and Sister who were able to enjoy it not long enough last summer. I hope you get to enjoy it right along with us for the rest of your life.

The new hardwood floors he planed, and tongue and grooved himself, almost too nice for a camp(Dad calls it his shack)

Last edited: