ZF or TRW rack?

passat man

TDI
96 Passat
Hi, I have a TRW in my 96 TDI, and going to be doing a 5-lug bolt conversion. I know I need to at least change tie rod ends. I have read the ratio's are different, between ZF and TRW, the VR6 is a quicker ratio? And can I use the existing pump, hoses, bushings, etc? Thanks, Artie

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I have seen one 5 lug swapped car with the plus suspension that used the stock TRW rack. It drove fine.

How to tell the racks apart:
***TRW style rack*** TRW racks have a smooth black painted steel housing. Not for vehicles equipped with ZF (unpainted waffle grid housing) racks.

passat man

TDI
96 Passat
Thanks G60ING, Does the ZF use the same mounting bushings and is the ZF rack a quicker ratio? Is one rack more problematic than the other?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
no idea on the ratio or problems. I think the ZF is more expensive. They use the same mounting points.

I'd keep what you have and run with it.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I left the ZF in the GLX B4 and ran it with the TDI pump in the Passat conversion I did. That combination worked just fine, too.

Still, I'd keep the TRW rack if doing just a hub swap. One less item to switch out for the 4 -> 5 conversion.