Key FOB - replaced battery but still doesn't work?

toto

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS A/T, 2001, Silver
Hi,

My Key FOB didnot work all of a sudden yesterday, so I replaced the battery with the same type currently used in the remote (CR1620). Still no luck after replacing the battery. :(

To make things more complicated, I can't get into my car because
1. I can't open the car door manually using the key (It had never worked since I bought the car four years ago).
2. I lost the other key fob.

What are my options in the mean time?
I left my car at work last night but I want to bring it home. Can I ask CAA /AAA to open my car? Can I shut down the alarm manually by unplugging the car battery, the reconnect the battery and drive the car?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Toto

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Check the "new" battery. It's amazing how many of them are bad right out of the package.

I think you'll have a problem getting to the car's battery to disconnect it. And if it's like the older Passats, when you reconnect the battery, the alarm goes off. Not a good time to not have a working fob.

SoaceMunky

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue Anthracite Golf IV, 13 miles and counting ;)
maybe you need to "reprogram" you key?
with the drivers door open, turn ignition on and off 10 times in less than 8 seconds...i believe...
try that.

toto

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for all the quick responses.

Never thought about the new battery may be bad as well, but my multimeter is inside the trunk. I looked that the packaging on the new batteries and they were manufactured in Sep 2006, so technically they should still be in good condition, but I'll check later with my multimeter when I can get into the car just incase, because I don't know the batteries' brand name very well (Nextech or something)

If I order additional key fob from ebay, can I reprogram the immobilizer using the vag-com? I understand it won't work for newer cars but my car is 2001 (built in 2000).

Thanks!!!

Spokane Walt

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Sedan GLS TDI 5sp, 2000 Jetta 2.0 AEG Gas, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon 5sp (wrecked - have some parts!)
Key Opens the trunk...

There is a slot in the VW Logo on the back ot the car that allows one to open the hatch (trunk?) with the key.

This will at least allow you to get your multi-meter...

Profile says the car is a Golf - so you should be able to climb through and start the car and drive it away...

Walt

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Also - if you still have the key hole in the driver's door, it has been reported that thieves use a screwdriver to gain entrance. Depends on how desperate you are.

toto

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks again for everyone's input. I thought I should give an update how it turned out.

1. I called CAA to open the door for me since I couldn't use the key to open the door nor the trunk manually (looks like my key fob is not original from factory).

2. Alarm went off so I disconnected the battery and reconnected it again. Now the alarm issue is resolved.

3. I checked the new batteries with my multimeter and the reading is good so I know it is not the battery issue.

4. Tried the key fob again with the new batteries and it is still not working so I wondered if the key was somehow reset.

5. Then I reprogrammed the key fob (remote control matching) using vag-com:
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/vw-remote-matching.html

6. Voila...the key fob is now working again :)

Have a great weekend!

Toto

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Since your key doesn't work - put a blank over the keyhole. The screwdriver does work - and no sense in allowing that type of activity if you can't use the hole anyway.

volmaniac

Veteran Member
McFadden's Ford, Stones River NMP M'boro, TN
TDI
02 Golf GLS
One of my key fobs stopped working last Friday after work and I checked for codes with vagcom, got a "0956 Key 2 09-00 Adaptation Limit Surpassed". I searched Bentley (no info available in my edition) and the site but did not find this code in any posts so reporting it here for the knowledge base.

I had to reprogram first because vagcom would not let me use "2" in Channel 01 (46 Central Convienience) so I followed the "In some cases, it may be necessary to clear out existing matched remotes using the following procedure" ... then I followed the "Procedure for matching radio-frequency remote controls to many VW & Audi vehicles" in the ross tech link and got both key fobs working again.

Nico3d3

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2001
1. I called CAA to open the door for me since I couldn't use the key to open the door nor the trunk manually (looks like my key fob is not original from factory).
I'd say, it looks like your lock need some lubricants. I had the same trouble with the Golf I bought in May 2007 and I thought, like you that I didn't have the original key fob but then, I brought the car to a good trusted mechanic, to change a broken door latch mechanism and he said that he also fixed the lock so I can use my key instead of the remote if I want to, to unlock the door. It only needed some lubing.

joey944

Veteran Member
TDI
03 TDI Jetta Wagon Auto, 03 Golf TDI 5sp.
Old thread but I have an odd issue. On my 03 golf ALH TDI My fob quit working. I replaced the battery (tested good battery) and nothing. I reprogrammed the key in vcds and got a horn beep acknowledging good key recognition. Still nothing. The key will unlock and lock the doors manually. It will arm and disarm the alarm and it will start the car but the remote will not lock or unlock the doors or pop the hatch.