Grease car for BRM

Freez4

TDI
1998 Jetta 2006 Jetta
I have a Gresecar kit for a 2006 TDI. Looking for instructions. ANY Help would be appreciated. A scanned copy of the instruction book from Greasecar would be awesome.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Why do you want to put that into your car.
I've seen nothing but long term problems with WVO / Home brew diesel ?

If you really like that car...and you would like to keep your repair / maintenance expenses under control a grease kit is not the answer. Any $ that you think you'll save in the short term will be eaten up with far more expensives repairs (a result of grease fuel) .

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Why do you want to put that into your car.
I've seen nothing but long term problems with WVO / Home brew diesel ?

If you really like that car...and you would like to keep your repair / maintenance expenses under control a grease kit is not the answer. Any $ that you think you'll save in the short term will be eaten up with far more expensives repairs (a result of grease fuel) .

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
There's a reason most fuel injection shops won't accept DI fuel injector cores from grease cars/trucks. They get too badly damaged to be overhauled.

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
I ran a 2006 Jetta with a Greasecar kit. I had it for over 200,000 miles and it ran fine the whole time. I’m not sure it is necessary to re-argue the merits or demerits of WVO; a quick search here will give you all you want of that. Suffice to say, it can be done though some have had poor luck with it. It probably has a lot to do with how conscientious you are, though it’s hard to say for sure.

That said, do your research, make sure you want to run WVO and that you have an adequate supply. If you decide you do want to go ahead with it, I can help you with any of the details.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
some have had poor luck with it
Some? I'd wager "most" is more like it.:(

In addition to doing your own research, be sure to plan saving up for a new/rebuilt engine to the tune of thousands. It shouldn't be difficult, what with your potential savings in fuel, right? :rolleyes:

Oilhammer, that is downright nasty! :eek: How do you even clean something like that?

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
I’d take that bet. I don’t know one single person who has had a failure with WVO. I’ve seen posts on here from the anti-WVO folks, I’ve seen their pictures, I have no doubt there have been failures, but of all the people I know who actually ran WVO, none of them had a major problem. Not one.

I also saw years of false predictions of doom from the same anti-WVO folks. First it was it can’t be done, then it was it won’t last 10,000 miles, then it won’t last 100,000, then it can’t be done on the newer (PD) cars. They were wrong every time.

What has your personal experience with WVO been?

To the OP, don’t take this as an unconditional endorsement to convert your car. There are downsides, you have to do it right, and you should be willing to accept the risk. If you have done your homework and are comfortable with the risks, it is a reasonable option. And there are some pretty great upsides too.

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
Actually the Leaf is gone too. That was a change in driving distances that made the Leaf practical. It was fun while it lasted, but the VW sure had better heat.

Of course, all the money I saved with WVO paid for the Leaf. Several times over, I might add.

WooK

TDI
2006 Jetta
I have a Gresecar kit for a 2006 TDI. Looking for instructions. ANY Help would be appreciated. A scanned copy of the instruction book from Greasecar would be awesome.

I have a 2006 on WVO from greascar. Been doing it for 2 years and have added 50k miles. all is good.

PM me your email address. i'll do my best to scan the instructions and email them to you.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
The tricky part of establishing the reliability of a 'system', in this case a TDI vehicle run on WVO, is to ascertain if the population that provides the overwhelming positive response is truly (statistically) random. Do the respondents that have had failures in this 'system' refrain from coming forward due to embarrassment or fear of negative feedback in a public forum (to read 'I told you so' phrases or similar)?

On the other side we have other scenarios were the opposite might occur: for a specific product being a car or something else only those that have complains come forward in a public forum, while many users of such product (maybe an order of magnitude(s) larger in numbers) stay silent since they have nothing to complain about and they are happy users of said product. One might then conclude from this, erroneously, that the product is unreliable.

Maybe this is not the case with WVO use in TDI car but something that we cannot discount.

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
I think you are completely right Tikal. All we really have is anecdotal evidence, on both sides. (As someone once said, enough anecdotes do eventually add up to a statistic, but we are far from that point.) As you point out, there are significant factors distorting and prejudicing the evidence. What we can say, I’m confident, is that it is possible to use WVO successfully, but it is also possible to have major problems doing it.

I have long been rather curious about why some conversions go so well, while others do not. Is it the oil, the filtering, the WVO system on the car, user error, carelessness or some combination of these? I had hoped we would find the answers on this and the other forums, but I now suspect that will not happen. As the suppply of suitable cars dwindles and people seem so much less interested, it will probably just fade into a tiny niche. That, of course, will make some folks quite happy.

It was great fun while it lasted. Could there be a book or a cult film in all this? Ah, I doubt it. Too bad.