NEW 2001 NB tdi lover!

casasmith

a pleasure to drive! I couldn't be happier...even though they put a wing on it by mistake, I will grow to love it like the rest of the car..only minor concern; first 200 miles was 31.5mpg..is this normal?
Thanks for everyone's help on this forum; I learned so much I made my salesman seem stupid- next stop..Mikro Audio and WETT!

paschalini

Veteran Member
The low mileage on first tank is probably not a concern. Many variables to ponder. If you have an automatic, you will get lower mileage. Was the car "topped off" when you bought it? If the car wasn't filled all the way, and you filled it to bursting, that will definitely affect the mileage calculation given the small amount of diesel pumped. Do a search on "vent blow-by" for how to fill up to a statndard point each time.

Another factor would be just how much "fun" you had in those first few miles.

Our 2000 Jetta is now at the 5k mark, and mileage has steadily improved. Our lowest mpg was 40. We have been averaging 42-45 in city driving, and recently got 50.5 mpg on a pure highway trip at 73 mph with AC on. Note that we have a manual tranny.

Congrats on your new TDI!

------------------
2000 5spd Atlantic Blue Jetta

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but there isn't a vent button on the Beetles. That's a Jetta/Golf thing.

'Green' engines tend to burn more fuel due to the added internal friction. Once the 'losen up' you'll be fine.

Definitely do some searches on this site related to break-in. Go easy the first 1000 miles. Mix in some gunning it between 50-80 mph to better seat the rings, and don't use the cruise control - vary the highway cruising speeds.

Other than that, enjoy the car.
Congratulations!

------------------
BeetleGo, and go and go
"You said this was a DIESEL?!"

Golf Girl

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2000, satin silver
Congrats to you!
Once you have a diesel, you'll never want to go back to a gasser. Everyone told me that when I first bought my Golf, and it's TRUE!! Your mileage will increase. Couple questions though...

1) Have you seen the light? (hee, hee--the fuel pump light on the instrument panel) That will make a big difference. Drive 'til it comes on.
2) Do you have stick or automatic?
3) Are you a leadfoot? (I know, it's hard not to be)

I am averaging 35 MPG now at 11,780 miles, with auto. Good luck!

------------------
Jenni
2000 Golf GLS TDI, my baby, Putt Putt

SteveS

Veteran Member
TDI
00 NB automatic TDI
There IS a vent button on the NewBeetles. Often, I can depress it with the fuel filler nozzle while filling, however, this can be a litttle messy.

------------------
00TDI NB/Auto/Red
TVA Pipes, VW splashguards,
TDI script

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
I stand corrected!
Sheesh! And here I've been squirting in those last pints bit by bit until I can (finally) see the fuel itself in the pipe!

------------------
BeetleGo, and go and go
"You said this was a DIESEL?!"