White Smoke real bad at cold start up on a 2000 Jetta TDI

Clloved

TDI
2000 VW Jetta TDI
Ok first off this is my first vw and first diesel ever. every morning and any time i let the enine cool off on my 2000 Jetta TDI Automatic tranny it smokes real bad white smoke the colder it is outside the more smoke. once it warms up its fine no smoke....i check the oil level after at every fill-up or more and it seems to stay the same. i change the oil before 3000 miles no change in smoke. i replaced the break booster vaccumm line because it was cracked and the dealership said that was causing it to smoke, no the breaks work better now but still smoke when its cold. ive replaced the fuel filter, valve on the fuel filter and fuel lines (just cuz they were cracked and leaking). ive put a new air filter on, ive tried fuel addatives. whats next glow plugs? injectors? block heater? should i have the dealership tune it? also its getting about 34mpg hwy when i read that epa says 47mpg hwy (i drive fast but i figure i should at least get around 40 hwy) any and all information will be much appreciated since this car is very new to me. any tips on maintenance or ways to get better MPG would b great too. thank you

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MKIV 2000, 2003, and MKV 2006 PD DSG
hahaha that old I'm betting those nozzles may need testing. Especially if it is white smoke. Bad or poor spray pattern can lead to poor combustion. A warmer cylinder will burn cleaner thus fixing/masking your problems. If it was blue smoke I would think you would have something worse wrong but nozzles are pretty basic fixes now a days it seems.

TopherDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
^ +1

Also with that low fuel mileage I would start to wonder if the intake manifold was all full of carbon and soot.

How many miles on the car? IM been cleaned ever? snow screen clean?

Just a few basics that aren't involved in fuel delivery.

Enjoy