Off Topic: Audi A6 Quattro Wagon...

SyNtAxx

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Tornado Red GLS TDI
My sister and her husband had one of there cars demolished in an accident. Everybody is safe, but they are now faced with finding a new ride. My sister currently owns a 2004 Passat Wagon 4motion GLX(? 2.8Ltr) loaded to the gills.

We have sourced an 1998 Audi A6 Wagon Quattro with approx 100k miles.
The car looks to be in outstanding shape but we are not clear on service records. I suggested from experience in the TDI world that it is probably best when in doubt to have the timing belt and any relevent parts changed out as part of the purchase price by a qualified person. I realize the word "qualified" is open to interpretation :D.

That being said, I presume the driveline and engine are almost if not the same as what is in my sisters 2004 Passat? I know both cars have the 2.8 V6 and are all wheel drive.

Can anybody provide any insite on the service intervals for the timing belt, etc. Design differences? Also, I am not sure on how long these engines are designed for...but I am sure as long as they are well cared for they should run past 100k assuming no inherent design flaws correct? I dont expect it to self destruct right away..but you get my drift.

Please advise. Thank you.

Nick

KCTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg
60,000 miles on the timing belt.
Got lucky with wifeys '99 2.8 A6,drove it home from Minneapolis,ordered the tools to do the belt.
She called from work and said it was "makin' a screeching noise"the day tools got here.Lower belt roller shucked all the balls from it's bearing.
With 113,000 miles I assumed it had been changed at least once,WRONG!

wbill

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf gl 3dr TRed
Re: Audi A-6 Quattro Wagon

Nick

Try this same question over at www.audiworld.com

But on any 10 year old car and no service records

T-belt w/water pump and all rollers (just like a tdi)

Have the rear diff seals checked
Have the timing chain tensioner seals checked
Check the CV joint boots front and rear
vag-com it for any codes
Check auto trans fluid, does it need vag-com for fluid check?????
Make sure heat and a/c are working properly
Be very carefull, nothing cheap to fix on these cars.
Just like on a TDI only people that know how to work on these cars and have the proper tools should be doing anything to them..........
Enough said!!!!!!

chimaera

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Skoda Superb Combi CR170
The A6 and the Passat are built on the same platform (as is the A4 of the same era). Dimensions are stretched or shrunk here and there to suit the different models but they're largely similar underneath in terms of suspension and transmission components. The dimensions of driveshafts and propshafts are going to be different between A6 and Passat due to the larger bodyshell, but the transmission and differentials are likely to be very similar. Gearing may differ to cope with the larger A6 body.

SyNtAxx

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Tornado Red GLS TDI
Thanks guys!

I am trying to source a complete timing belt kit for this car. 1998 Audi A6 wagon 2.8 V6 Automatic. Not sure if it is the 12 valve or 30 valve engine still waiting on the engine code. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Nick

Last edited:

SyNtAxx

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Tornado Red GLS TDI
I looked in my bently manual for the 2.8L engine and it didnt show a belt but instead a chain, however I talked to the a Audi Service Dept. rep and they indicated it was a belt and the mechanic onsite at the place the car is located also indicated it had a belt. *shrug* It looks like there is some variation between Audi and VW. Any confirmations?

NIck

chimaera

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Skoda Superb Combi CR170
The 2.8 in those cars is not a VR6, it's the Audi 30V V6. Not sure if the camshaft is belt or chain driven though.

chittychittybangbang

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Check the sway bar bushings, the front multi link suspension arms, and the rear differential. If it's the same rear diff on my Audi, they tend to leak but it's easy to remove it and replace the seals. For a 98 with that mileage, look for a leak.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
that 98 as was stated could have the 60k belt but it could have the 105K one. I'd do the belt, and ALL the parts including the rear timing chain tensioners. P&L from a dealer would be $1700 or so for all the rollers etc...Not cheap. You NEED to do the rear seals. They WILL leak, they all do. EVEN on their newer car.

SyNtAxx

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Tornado Red GLS TDI
jasonTDI said:
that 98 as was stated could have the 60k belt but it could have the 105K one. I'd do the belt, and ALL the parts including the rear timing chain tensioners. P&L from a dealer would be $1700 or so for all the rollers etc...Not cheap. You NEED to do the rear seals. They WILL leak, they all do. EVEN on their newer car.
When you say rear seals....are you talking about the rear engine seals or the rear differential seals ?

Nick