Is pump timing covered by Fed. Emissions Warranty?

Dzldog

I recently had to have my fuel pump timing reset, as my '98 Jetta TDI was releasing increased levels of soot upon med. to heavy acceleration. After having paid for it, my girlfriend's step-dad told me that he fealt it should have been covered under the Fed. Emissions Warranty.
Does anyone know if this should, in fact, be the case? How do I find out?
Please post your thoughts.

M

mickey

Only if the timing problem would have caused the vehicle to fail to meet Federal emissions requirements. Since an increase in soot due to timing problems would be accompanied by a corresponding DECREASE in NOx output, I doubt you have a case. Particulate standards are pretty lax. NOx is the tough one to meet.

-mickey

JeffT

Veteran Member
In my opinion, the mere adjustment of the pump timing in and of itsself isn't covered by the federal emissions warranty.

If however a part failed that prevented you car from attaining required emissions levels, than the replacement of that part may fall under the emissions warranty. For example if the ECU was failing in some way to prevent proper timing, etc.

The diesel pump timing is akin to ignition timing in a gasoline car. If the timing on you car changed enough to affect emissions, you'd simply re-time it and there you go. Same for the Diesel.

Dzldog, how many miles on the car? Have you changed the timing belt, when? Is you car chipped, have you played with PCV or EGR??

Dzldog

I called VW, they say it is not covered.
My Jetta has 52k miles on it, which is well beyond the 24k mile warranty. I plan on changing the timing belt, myself, when the weather takes a turn for the better. Yes, the belt has most likely stretched a little perhaps causing the pump to go out of time. By the way: no not chipped (don't have the $ for that sort of extravagance) and no I have not tampered with the EGR or PCV.

TDI = MPG = $avings

Veteran Member
Does the pump timing need to be adjusted every so often on the 2000 TDI engine?

Can you manually adjust or advance the injection timing one or two degrees to TDC
so the fuel will burn more completely?

------------------
2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed: Silver / Gray

sjporter2@juno.com

JeffT

Veteran Member
Dzldog, don't mean to sound sarcastic, but you raised the point, so why did you have the pump timing changed anyway??? Was it something you noticed, was it the result of an emissions inspection, or was it discovered by your dealer??? Did you suffer drivability/performance/economy issues??

At 52k it would seem you are due a new timing belt pretty soon, and the pump timing would have been changed/corrected at that time?

valois

Banned
Dzldog,
I just experienced the same thing with my 98 Jetta. (30,000 miles). No explanation as to the cause, car began to smoke during acceleration, intermitantly. Milage had noticibly decreased. After adjustment, I had better power in 5th,and no smoke. I haven't had it back long enough to correlate milage yet. I paid 92.00 labor @ 65.00/Hr. How much did they charge you?

------------------
72 412,
72,77,82,85 campers
68 bug, 89 and 91 foxes
71, and 72 914's
98 jetta TDI

Dzldog

I paid $145 and was very pissed!! They did not even call me with an estimate before doing the work. For the record: I WILL NOT TAKE MY CAR TO WEST SUBURBAN VW FOR ANYTHING EVER AGAIN!!! (west suburban Chicago, that is...)
They quoted me $300 for the "o-ring problem", which I ended up repairing myself. It was as if they wanted to stick me for last time. Bastards...