VW says AWD SportWagen coming in 2016

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Sportwagon and Alltrack need to represent value in the marketplace. From base entry SW to fully loaded Alltrack TDI should be in the 22-35 range.

alhutch

Veteran Member
TDI
None
+1

....because any more than that and you might as well get an Audi Q5 TDI
Really? A Q5 TDI starts at $47,000. Much like the 328d diesel wagon, any options at all and you are quickly over $50k, whereas the AWD Golf SW TDI will be probably be $10k - $15k less, fully equipped.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
And the Q5 shows EPA numbers of 27/31, a far cry from the 40+ highway MPG you should see in a EA288 Alltrack.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
And the Q5 shows EPA numbers of 27/31, a far cry from the 40+ highway MPG you should see in a EA288 Alltrack.
I do have to say that I drove a used 2013 Q5 TDI for a couple of hours once on a two way freeway drive. Going both ways should have negated the elevation changes between the two points. At the turn around point there was some stop/go driving to the restaurant and back to the freeway. 60-70MPH while on the freeway, using cruise control when traffic permitted.

Now I don't know how accurate the Audi MPG display is, but after my round trip it was just over 40 MPG. Even allowing for a really generous display, I'd still say it was upper 30s. I was extremely impressed, as my wife was. If it had been a Prestige model instead of a Premium Plus, I would have taken it. Decided to buy a Passat instead and wait for either the Crossblue or Tiguan to come out with a diesel.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Really? A Q5 TDI starts at $47,000. Much like the 328d diesel wagon, any options at all and you are quickly over $50k, whereas the AWD Golf SW TDI will be probably be $10k - $15k less, fully equipped.
I'd be pretty happy with the most basic Q5 TDI. If the price was within $15k, I'd go for the Q5.

I'm 42, so I can see myself buying one more new car in my life, so it better be a good one.

I want my mortgage paid off by age 50, and after that I don't plan to work enough to afford another new car...whatever I get, it has to be in the next few years. Then I'll just be a semi-retired bum with a fancy car.

In that context, $15k is nothing.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
It's not just the purchase price of the Q5 that would put me off. The significantly worse fuel economy (nearly half what the Sportwagen should get), service costs, insurance, taxes...not to mention the car's height and the handling disadvantages that come with it. I'd be much happier in a smaller, less expensive car.

And Mike, I would hope you'll buy at least one more new car. You're probably going to live another 50 years. That's a long time to make a car last.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And Mike, I would hope you'll buy at least one more new car. You're probably going to live another 50 years. That's a long time to make a car last.
As long as you can sell me parts, I can make it last. :)

After the next car becomes unserviceable, I'd buy used cars, if I had to.

Last edited:

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
this will be my next vehicle and i expect it to be more expensive than the one i drive now but beyond the 40ish mpg & awd features, its the increase in ride height & cargo space bringing it in line with the prev gen passat wagon that is truly appealing. only convenience feature i don't like are the trunk levers for the flip-forward seatbacks: i'd have preferred the flip-forward seat base like our current models for a true flat floor cargo surface. rear camera & stowable cargo cover are welcome additions. this is a weather-beater for me rather than for any off road use.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Without going through the whole thread again to figure this out, am I correct in assuming the AWD version of the SportWagen will not be available with a diesel engine?

You can have one or the other, not both?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
VWoA is currently saying that the AWD Sportwagen (or AllTrack, or whatever they call it) will be available with the diesel in mid-'16 as a 2017 model. No word manual transmission availability.

conejo_a_cuatro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS Silver, 2011 JSW Manual - Bought Back. Now 328d Wagon.
If it's a manual diesel, we'll buy one. If not, then we'll pursue other options. Too bad VW's profits don't ride on one sale in central PA. :p

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Is there any AWD hatch available with a manual? Subaru Cross Trek, maybe. Can't think of another.

conejo_a_cuatro

Veteran Member
TDI
The only other option I can think of is either a Golf R or an Audi A4 Avant from 2006-2008. Seems that folks have converted the latter to diesel, which is a massive effort, but perhaps worth it if there's nothing else on the market. The question is, by the time we're ready to buy, will there be any a4 avants unmolested and in good enough condition to be worth the effort.

nforkvw

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Jetta 6 Speed Manual / Gray, 2009 VW Jetta TDI 6 speed manual / Red,
Mini Countryman and also Suburu Impreza both can be had with six speed manuals and AWD.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I'm not sure I would call either the Countryman or the Golf R competition to the Sportwagen. Lots smaller. Not to mention the Mini is butt-ugly. But the Impreza (same as the Cross Trek, just not as tall) is a competitor, IMO.

conejo_a_cuatro

Veteran Member
TDI
The golf R is much smaller, but it's still a hatchback. Until Subaru makes their head gaskets out of something more durable than paper, I'll never buy one again. Got burned once already. The mini is an interesting idea, but the countryman doesn't really get me going. So if (relatively) new, I'd get a MKVI Golf R. If the sportwagen came out in manual diesel format, I'd get one new.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
CO-worker had a Mini and said it was a lot of fun to drive but they couldn't keep up with the repair expenses. Went to a Toyota Matrix.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
My 77 year old aunt has a 2005 Impreza, auto, just did a new tranny and starter at 105000 miles. And on top of that, its rusty.

Don

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'm not sure I would call either the Countryman or the Golf R competition to the Sportwagen. Lots smaller. Not to mention the Mini is butt-ugly. But the Impreza (same as the Cross Trek, just not as tall) is a competitor, IMO.
On my Christmas trip and looking at other cars when rolling on the interstate. I would put the impreza against the golf. Also agree that the cross trek just looks like a hopped up impreza. Sportswagen would go against the legacy wagon.

498 miles with three people and lots of Christmas stuff. Cruising at mostly 73. First 100 miles or so were city driving. Still returned about 42 mpg.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Haven't heard of that model. Probably won't be offered in the US.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
cost of diesel may affect rollout?

VW is notoriously careful about maintaining best model lineup to maximize profit. Absence of a Passat wagon is exhibit 1 (viewed as competition for the relatively cheap to produce JSW from Puebla).

I have searched but can't find any indication that VW is going to reconsider offering new TDI models like the subject of this thread: the AWD wagon.

But I wonder if this plan will vaporize if gasoline remains so cheap through next Summer. There is no sign of OPEC budging on their intent to crush new oil exploration (drilling with horizontal wells/fracking) by keeping the price of oil lower with current production levels. Once in, the new wells would compete with OPEC, but $60 per barrel makes drilling new wells unprofitable (?).

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
really weird experience driving my wife's 4motion tiguan & having to refuel seemingly all the time(!). my back loves the tiggy ride but my backside(read wallet) doesn't enjoy its thirst. that alone will keep me in diesel even if/when cheap gas prices equalize the difference in mileage around here. 20mm elevated ride height in the tdi alltrack over the stock gsw tdi won't hurt either(literally, for my poor neck & back!).

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Is there any AWD hatch available with a manual? Subaru Cross Trek, maybe. Can't think of another.
Can you still get an Outback with a manual? When we bought my wife's 2011 Outback, it was an option. Though, that motor was terrible with a manual. First time I actually preferred a CVT...

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I like the chrome strips on the bottom sides and front. Wonder if those will make it to production?

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
The new Passat Variant sold in Europe is available with 1.6L TDI, 120hp/88kW; average consumption 4.1 1/100km. OR, at the other end there's the 2.0L biturbo with 4Motion option 240CV/176kW with maximum torque of 500Nm (translated-240 hp and 369 pound-feet of torque). Now THAT's a sportwagen. But unfortunately, it uses 5.1L/100km (ave.). Dang, and I thought I could have my cake and eat it, too:D

http://www.passat.com/es/es/home.html?page=thepassatestate&section=areaContent-Highlights

Follow the "Saber Mas" link (learn/know more). If you are browsing with Chrome, right click on the page and select "translate to English".

Here's an article (Italy). The wagon is covered (including the biturbo 4motion). Quote: "The cockpit of the new Passat breaths comfort."
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2014/11/04/118405-first-drives-2015-volkswagen-passat-sedan-and-varient-euro.html

I like Golf variant, but gee...Would these Passat wagons really sit on the new car lots in NA? Beautiful Wagens.

P.S. Passat (and others) in uniform (don't try to evade the Lamborghini):
http://www.autobild.de/artikel/vw-passat-b8-als-polizeiauto-5516800.html

Last edited: