Volkswagen Unveils 272 HP 2-Liter Diesel Engine and 10-Speed DSG

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Volkswagen Unveils 272 HP 2-Liter Diesel Engine (with Electric Supercharger) and 10-Speed DSG

The extra power was achieved by Volkswagen though implementation of a new electric supercharger, which reduces lag to a minimum. Engineers have also installed a new variable valve timing system and a Piezo common rail injection system working at pressures of up to 2,500 bar.
More:
https://news.google.com/news/rtc?nc...=0&siidp=1086582d82a482931666ee3e9dda49ed3708

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=427418

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
The pressures are nothing out of the ordinary in latest Diesel technology.

nate0031

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
96 B4 Passat
I figured pressures like that were around the corner, but still an impressive number anyway you shake it. Wonder what HPFP it uses, lol.

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
I believe Volvo has some similar tech on one of their new 4 cylinder motors. It's a bi-turbo 2 liter with an electric supercharger that "primes" the turbochargers allowing the motor to make 450hp. Turbo lag is supposedly imperceptible.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/volvos-new-electric-supercharger-explained

There was a video on youtube of the Engineers who developed the motor discussing it, as well as it doing some rounds at a track, though I can't seem to find.

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
It would likely get a hefty power derate if offered in North America just like any other vw diesel we have seen.We would probably only get a 200 hp model :(

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
It would likely get a hefty power derate if offered in North America just like any other vw diesel we have seen.We would probably only get a 200 hp model :(
200 hp would be nice. ;)

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
The one thing I am concerned is the weak 10DSG....according to one article (I have not read them all yet) it is rated at 405lbs/ft.......with a simple tune the factory rated Tq could go from 370 to well above 405lbs/ft rather easily...... :(

I'll keep reading because hopefully a manual will STILL be available....and hopefully be rated at a higher capacity.

JasonG

Veteran Member
TDI
1994, 2003 JSW (sold), 2012 Jetta
The one thing I am concerned is the weak 10DSG....according to one article (I have not read them all yet) it is rated at 405lbs/ft.......with a simple tune the factory rated Tq could go from 370 to well above 405lbs/ft rather easily...... :(

I'll keep reading because hopefully a manual will STILL be available....and hopefully be rated at a higher capacity.
Yeah,I caught that too.
500lbs/ft would be safe.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
Also, I understand the rated component Tq capacity....and the component may actually have two parts to that rating "sustained capacity" and lets say a "built in safeguard" of instantaneous (yield) Tq capacity, which may be slightly higher...?

But yes, I'd rather see it higher.............especially for a diesel which has a longer lifespan in general (we all know components have a "fatigue" value, and running at close to that value will diminish it's life sooner than not running at that value).

Ok, maybe I just want the OEM to factor in flexibility....we don't want to have to mod the "entire" drivetrain do we.... :)

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I would rather see a 1 liter 135 hp (half of stated) than this. I have no need for that much power and torque for everyday driving. I would really like something that would just blow everything else away in the fuel economy department. But I doubt we will see either one. With VW it is what is on the lot at the time.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
A 1L displacement TDI would not keep the 4-cylinders (thermal efficiency goes down as cylinder dimensions go much smaller) but rather go down to 2 or 3, with all the NVH consequences they entail. And you won't be simply able to scale the output linearly to a 135 HP 1L engine on the aforementioned 2 or 3 cylinders, again because of the NVH. Can you imagine the weight of the DMF and drivetrain re-engineering that would be required because of the jackhammer from the gas (not inertial) forces such a 2-cylinder engine will be?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Okay I will take your word for it. I don't really care about the displacement or power. It can have 272 hp if it still gets great economy. I just want a car that gets great fuel economy as a first priority. High performance isn't in my requirements for an every day commuter vehicle.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
If you want great fuel economy, manufacture and purchase smaller more aerodynamic vehicles.