Tarox Or Brembo Brake Disks ?

Demon 2.5TDI

TDI
2.5 TDI BDH
Hello guys... it's about time for me to change the brakes on my ride.. (disks and padds) ... and i found a nice model of disks from a company named TAROX... the only trubble is i haven't really heard of them ... maybe it's just me... but i wanted to know from you guys.. if any of you has these kind of brake-disks installed.. or have heard anything about this company... how would you compare them to Brembo's ? Thanks for the imput...

http://www.autoteile-ralf-schmitz.com/popup_image.php?invis=1&pID=257543

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Personally, I think that the best rotors are original equipment. That said, I have seen good service with Ate, Zimmerman, and Balo.

Demon 2.5TDI

TDI
2.5 TDI BDH
OEM disks are ok... but think of it this way... they have to make the car cost-efficient.. so they will not put the best disks or pards, on the car from the factory... but something which is in between... not bad.. not perfect.. but just right... that will deliver the quality that you expect from them... but i guarantee.. that they are not the best ones out there.. hence the question.. i am looking for a upgrade... and some feedback on these Tarox disks would be appreciated... because Brembo.. are already well known for they'r products...

oilhammer

TDI
Never heard of Tarox.

Brembo is an OE supplier to many companies, and their aftermarket stuff is generally decent.

I still feel the original equipment rotors on VAG products are very good, and I do not think you will find many people to disagree with that.

You never said anything about an "upgrade", you said "change". If you want to upgrade, you would need BIGGER brakes, and even then I would STILL recommend original equipment parts, but from the parts bin of a different car, like an RS4 or something.

Demon 2.5TDI

TDI
2.5 TDI BDH
:) nice ideea... but i don't wanna invest 3000 bucks in these brakes... it's not worth it... the car is ok ... 210 BHP is ... slow.. but decent enough for the moment.. i didn't say "upgrade" the brakes because for me... "change" is only for the better ... not for design sake or something like that.. I need bigger stopping power... but the car doesn't have 400 bhp to justify the need for a 3000$ braking system... i would however like to change the disks from OEM to Brembo... i think it will make a change for the better.. i'm sure... as for the brake padds... they will also be changed to TEXTAR...

oilhammer

TDI
Textar is one of the OE suppliers to Volkswagen for pads.

Explain how Brembo rotors will be better than OEM? Not arguing, just trying to follow your logic.

They are half the price, so I guess that is why? At least here they are.

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta tdi pd-1989 Jetta IDI-1994 F-250 IDI Turbo
I have best success with the ATE's for the price. DO NOT buy EBC anything. They "look" like perfromance rotors, and the pads have pretty colors on the steel backing plates however the quality sucks! First mountian descent warped the rotors even with the pump release pump method.

Demon 2.5TDI

TDI
2.5 TDI BDH
Nope... here they are more than double the price.. depends also what model of disks you buy.. of course.. here is a product code of the disks that i like from Brembo.. if you can give me a price over at your side of the pond .. would be nice to compare.. FS.145.000 ... look it up .. i'm curious.. here it's 400 Euro's that's about 550-600 $ a pair... (front only - no padds included)

Demon 2.5TDI

TDI
2.5 TDI BDH
LiLredTDI said:
I have best success with the ATE's for the price. DO NOT buy EBC anything. They "look" like perfromance rotors, and the pads have pretty colors on the steel backing plates however the quality sucks! First mountian descent warped the rotors even with the pump release pump method.
Thanks for the info... i wasn't looking at this brand for me.. but i have seen them for sale at numerous sites that i have visited in the last few days..

oilhammer

TDI
OK, so you ARE upgrading.... Ate and Zimmerman also make a higher performance brake rotor, and they are also more money. :p

I cannot look up parts here for a car that is not sold here, so I cannot tell you apples to apples.

I know that VW list price for front rotors for my Passat are nearly twice what the 'standard' Brembo brand rotors I can buy from Worldpac would cost. I am pretty sure that Zimmerman (the gray coated ones) are who supplies the OEM rotors for my Passat. I will probably have 200k miles on my car before it needs front brakes, though. :)

The Ate Powerstop line is about the same cost as the OEM ones, IIRC. Then there is a step up from that in Ate but I forget what they call them. Zimmerman also has some performance version, I have never gotten any so I am not sure what is different.

Balo is a cheaper line, but made in Germany and certainly better than any Chinese parts store crap. They are not coated like the Zimmermans, but fit well and work fine (never had any complaints).

The two-piece Brembo rotors ARE expensive, but again being the same friction area I think it may be more bling than anything, unless they are embedded with some exotic substance. They may also have some cryo treatment to reduce warpage as well. I do not see much warpage problems with these cars though.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
A lot of Brembos say "Made in PRC" on the lip these days. The ones made in Mexico are better. Personally if you're doing an "upgrade" do Zimmermann cross drilled with Ceramic pads. That'll treat you very well.

And although some will say the cross drilled might crack, I've never had one returned for that. All my cars have had cross drilled too. As long as you're not racing with it through cold water ;).

Good luck!
-BB

Demon 2.5TDI

TDI
2.5 TDI BDH
Tarox are italian.. now i get why they are so good-looking :)) as for the history of the brand... i didn't find all that much so.. i'll pass on those.. Textar seems to make decent pads and rotors... Seems that a lot of big names in motoring have Texar OEM ... BMW is one of them.. and they are pretty fast ones... so i guess they are good.. however i can't seem to find any kind of pictures with Textar rotors...

Demon 2.5TDI

TDI
2.5 TDI BDH
BleachedBora said:
A lot of Brembos say "Made in PRC" on the lip these days. The ones made in Mexico are better. Personally if you're doing an "upgrade" do Zimmermann cross drilled with Ceramic pads. That'll treat you very well.

And although some will say the cross drilled might crack, I've never had one returned for that. All my cars have had cross drilled too. As long as you're not racing with it through cold water ;).

Good luck!
-BB
Thanks for the info... the cross drilled ones crack only if you are dumb enough and heat them up tu 1 000 000 degrees and then you stop to do a car-wash :) :) :) :) :) I heard a lot of bad things about Zimmerman... a had a lot of guys here (in Europe - Romania) that changed they'r stock BMW rotors.. with Zimmerman ones.. and within 2 weeks.. tops.. the rotors were vibrating like hell... and that's happend to 3-4-5 guys i know.. so that's why i'm kinda doubtfull of Zimmermans...

oilhammer

TDI
Premium One was the other Ate branding beyond the Power Stop that I was thinking of. Thanks, TDI_POWER.

Demon 2.5TDI

TDI
2.5 TDI BDH
Found some Brembo drilled disks that come as a pack with padds included, for 335 Euro (about 450-500$). These are only for the front brakes, now i am looking after something for the back brakes also...

keggo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
T_D_I_POWER said:
Go with the Ate Premium One rotors and pads and you won't be dissapointed

These are the rotors I'm most interested in... Once I get a GLI or TT rear brake setup, I'll be replacing all the pads and rotors. Something ceramic on these ATE PremiumONE's.

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta tdi pd-1989 Jetta IDI-1994 F-250 IDI Turbo
oilhammer said:
Premium One was the other Ate branding beyond the Power Stop that I was thinking of. Thanks, TDI_POWER.
Oilhammer has all the good info. I had no idea they had so many lines. Now I have no clue which ones I have. They like 70 bucks each.

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
Does ATE have slotted stock rears?

I have seen on some website that they do, and others that they don't

what ever i do i want the same stuff all around