stage 3 tune

giotundo

TDI
03 jetta
I have a 03 jetta with pp502s a rc stage 2 tune and a vr6 clutch. Do you think i could run a stage 3 tune from rocket chip with the stock turbo without worrying about blowing it. I also have a boost valve and cat delete.

JC_1992

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, 2001 Jetta GLS
You need a boost gauge to watch for boost spikes and have some good common sense when putting the pedal to the floor. Don't stomp on it below 2400rpm or so. Doing this (under 2400rpm or so) will cause your turbo to spike and shorten it's life. An RC stage 3 is the limit for a vnt-15.

giotundo

TDI
03 jetta
I also have a boost gauge forgot to mention that. but flooring below 2400 would be dangerous?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I also have a boost gauge forgot to mention that. but flooring below 2400 would be dangerous?
I think it's because the turbo spools up then settles down but flooring it at low revs the turbo spools up and there's no need for the extra boost so it can cause a big spike and blow the turbo.
That's my sort of understanding of it but I could be totally wrong lol.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Is it spiking? If not, ever, floor it anytime above 1800rpm.

Its better to roll into it than stab at the pedal.

If it is spiking, log it and have the tune updated.

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
I had RC3 for a quite few years. Stock everything... eventually, the clutch started to slip (2+ years later)

JC_1992

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, 2001 Jetta GLS
Yes as mentioned it is always better to ease into it instead of stomping it.

If you push it to the floor at lower RPM's the turbo will not be producing much boost (at lower rpms as well) and will get a sudden rush of exhaust. This will cause the turbo to spool up very fast and the N75 valve may not open the vanes (in the turbo) up enough/soon enough and cause the turbo to produce a boost spike.

Most tuners from what I've seen say 18.5-19psi is max for the vnt-15. Anything beyond this will decrease turbo life/increasing your odds of the turbo grenading. This would result in metal pieces and a good amount of oil to be ingested into the cylinders and wreak havoc.

giotundo

TDI
03 jetta
It'll spike to 22 Psi for a second.. Than settles around 18. should i set the boost valve to clip it sooner if i go with stage 3

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
It'll spike to 22 Psi for a second.. Than settles around 18. should i set the boost valve to clip it sooner if i go with stage 3
22psi spikes on a vnt15 is fine.. Why don't you wait until you get the tune before you start worrying about it :)

18.5psi sustained is about as much as the vnt15 can take.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Log it and show it to Jeff before you upgrade tunes and he can probably take care of it.