Can the throttle body be taken apart?

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
I've been getting a P2102 code that shows up a the Throttle Actuator Control Motor aka Throttle body for the better part of 4 years. Only comes up after the winter when the weather goes above freezing but since this year I need to take the car in for emission testing, I need to fix it now. I'm thinking that since the code is season dependent, maybe it's some sort of electrical issue as opposed to stripped gears. Is there a way to take the black cover off and to have a look at the insides? I've tried but the cover only wants to lift a little bit when the screws are removed. What is the trick to getting to cover off? Also, I can move the flap and can hear the gears working so I'm thinking the problem isn't the gears.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I would have just installed the updated version four years ago and been done with it.

The issue is the position sensor usually, as oil eventually migrates its way into the electronics which are encased in the housing in the bottom of a blue plastic molding.

I just replaced my original one at 190k miles and 14.5 years. I'd say it did pretty good.

Last edited:

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
To answer your question, yes you can take it apart. Gently pry up the corner which is sticking