www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Mid-west USA

Mid-west USA Local discussions for those on the Mid-West US. ( Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri)

Old June 10th, 2016, 15:09   #7516
JetTech

TDI(s): 06 Jetta BRM

Hey guys, quick question. Where's a good shop for head re-work?

I've got a 06 BRM Jetta that I think the valve guides wore out. It's been puffing blue smoke on cold starts to now blue smoke under 2k rpm...bad! Any ball park idea on cost? Thinking it might be better to just craigslist a whole motor. TIA
JetTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2016, 16:13   #7517
mn PD jetta

Fuel Economy: avg. 48-55mpg
Default TDI Rework on heads

Franks TDI in MO.. just had him do one up for my 04 BEW. Great guy. And knows what he is doing... and ya get what ya pay for far as I'm concerned..
mn PD jetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2016, 17:07   #7518
JFettig

Much cheaper to do it locally, motors by gosh did a good job on one for me a few years back. Merkerguitars uses a different local shop that does decent work even cheaper. It's not rocket surgery like Frank makes it out to be.
DIY injector calibration http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=383324
JFettig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2016, 20:27   #7519
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn PD jetta View Post
Franks TDI in MO.. just had him do one up for my 04 BEW. Great guy. And knows what he is doing... and ya get what ya pay for far as I'm concerned..
I like Frank's work too. If he charges a little more than some local guy, it's an irrelevant amount amortized over the next 300k-400k miles.
'03 Golf with 731k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, PP 2.5" downpipe, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilstein HDs, Recaros, Akebono pads/Brembo rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Blizzaks, TDT or Delvac1
Like TDI Club? Got PayPal? Got $1 or $5 or $10? Contribution link on the main page.
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2016, 21:39   #7520
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

another vote for local work

OHC bucket tappet aluminum heads are nowhere near even remotely uncommon, and everything more or less transfers over.
these are actually easier than most gasoline heads, as everything is nice and square (the guides are perpendicular to the head mating surface, and (on an alh and older at least) the VC mating surface is parallel to the head mating surface)

I did mine myself, but F that. Repetitious and boring work with expensive specialized tools. I was shocked how loose my valve guides were after 135k miles.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2016, 12:14   #7521
JetTech

TDI(s): 06 Jetta BRM

I'd rather go local if I can. Less hassle with shipping and such. Anybody use Headwerks in Bloomington? I had a chevy head done there about 10 yrs ago, but haven't heard a word since.
JetTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2016, 20:33   #7522
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetTech View Post
I'd rather go local if I can. Less hassle with shipping and such. Anybody use Headwerks in Bloomington? I had a chevy head done there about 10 yrs ago, but haven't heard a word since.
I've delivered parts there, and it seems like a competently-run shop.

But dealing with Frank Irving (Franko6) is not a hassle. He makes it easy.
'03 Golf with 731k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, PP 2.5" downpipe, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilstein HDs, Recaros, Akebono pads/Brembo rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Blizzaks, TDT or Delvac1
Like TDI Club? Got PayPal? Got $1 or $5 or $10? Contribution link on the main page.
Old June 14th, 2016, 21:14   #7523
[486]
Veteran Member

we use metro engine, but dave's got a multiple month backlog at the moment
Old June 19th, 2016, 00:36   #7524
DI fan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42 city(wife) 44 city(me) 48 highway. Best 52

Is Thera anyone in St Paul that could listen to a newly acquired TICK I've gotten about a week after I replaced my sway bar mounting bushings?? Also, maybe look at some Vagcom logs to see if anything pops out to show why I've been getting such poor mileage??? I invite that person to drive my car as part of the test.
DI fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2016, 23:21   #7525
DI fan
Veteran Member

After some research I think I've got a good idea of my click. I'm thinking it's the upper strut bearing. So, I'm ordering upper strut bushings and bearings.
Old June 20th, 2016, 23:23   #7526
DI fan
Veteran Member

Hey 486, what would it take for me to stop over and check out ur set up and pick ur brain on some hybrid turbo stuff??
Old June 20th, 2016, 23:57   #7527
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DI fan View Post
After some research I think I've got a good idea of my click. I'm thinking it's the upper strut bearing. So, I'm ordering upper strut bushings and bearings.
Very common problem.
Old June 21st, 2016, 20:04   #7528
[486]
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DI fan View Post
Hey 486, what would it take for me to stop over and check out ur set up and pick ur brain on some hybrid turbo stuff??
Easier to do on here, you really can't see anything from the top on the car.

Gotta stuff a camera in there, take it all apart, put it on a hoist, or in the case of the pics in my compound turbos thread, all three at once. I mean I'd be willing to pull it apart for money, but really...

You want my old compound setup? The one near the beginning of the thread with the TD04l-13G-6cm from the subaru. It moved enough air to burn just about everything that pp764s and a 10mm pump could put out.
Maybe $200 for the turbo and the adapter to bolt it up to your gt1749V? The charge piping was all really haggard radiator hoses and junk, much better to just spend $50 on some ebay silicone elbows.

Last edited by [486]; June 21st, 2016 at 20:06.
Old June 27th, 2016, 16:56   #7529
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/42/38

Who wants to take on a broken timing belt on a 1999.5? Not my car but a guy I used to work with. He is in Excelsior but I am betting he could drag it to you. Send me a PM or email and I will connect him with you.
Curious Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2016, 11:24   #7530
Stan TDI
Veteran Member

Default Head for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Chris View Post
Who wants to take on a broken timing belt on a 1999.5? Not my car but a guy I used to work with. He is in Excelsior but I am betting he could drag it to you. Send me a PM or email and I will connect him with you.
If his head is damaged I have one to sell.

Also, any recommendations on diesel in the International Falls area? Want to fill up before crossing the border.