what sort of oil should i be using?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Haggis, do you know what kind of car you are inquiring about? What model year? what oil have you been using?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Re: what sort of oil should i be using in \'01 TDi?

Oh.

the mfr is going to suggest a 5w40 and there are plenty of choices. 5W40 will always be synthetic.

Do you know who makes the "10WD40" you reference above?

there is no shortage of excellent oil choices for pre-2004 TDis!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Got Haggis?

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf DSG

LOL nice typo on my part.

anyway i had been just having the shop do the oil changes whenever i take it in for the 10k service intervals, but want to start doing it myself.

RobertB

Veteran Member
TDI
Green 2001 Beetle

LOL nice typo on my part.

anyway i had been just having the shop do the oil changes whenever i take it in for the 10k service intervals, but want to start doing it myself.
... from everything I've heard on this list, you may have BEEN getting WD-40, for all the dealerships seem to know about TDIs.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Walmart and Mobil have clobbered the competition by offering this oil at $20 for 5 qts...

BigI

Veteran Member
TDI
2k2 Jetta GLS

Any idea when it will be available in Canada, Ontario? Anyone?

l1o9s7t6

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, sedan 2002 blue

depends on weather or not you are wanting the VW 505.00 spec. If you ARE then the MOBIL5W40 is NOT for you. Nor REDLINE 5W40. just a two that I have seen mentioned. Niether meet the VW 505.00. But on the other hand they both do meet the CF4 spec and the MOBIL also meets the CG4 spec.
In the end it is YOUR choice.

Ernie Rogers

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle, 2003, silver

Okay, guys, I want to talk about this a little longer. I have a 2003 Beetle TDI. I started putting in Mobil 1 Truck & SUV when it came out. The VW dealer didn't have it so I would bring oil with me. About six months ago, I went for an oil change but forgot to bring the oil. I said they could use the Mobil 1 that they stocked. That was "Mobil 1 Extreme Formula 0W-30." Funny thing, right after the oil change, my mileage went up about 2 mpg . I was overjoyed, and have asked for Mobil 1 0W-30 since then. My mileage has been close to 60 mpg all winter, and I now get over 60 mpg (highway at 62 mph). I read the posts above and it shook my faith in "my" oil. I went to the Mobil 1 web site for some assurance.

www.mobil1.com has a box for oil selection. I clicked it, and no matter how I work it, only one oil comes up for my "choice"-- that's Mobil 1 Truck & SUV. Undaunted, I went to my car's manual. As he said, the car manual says I must have one or more of the listed specs. It recommends 5W-40 but says that 5W-30 is okay if 5W-40 is unavailable. Well, the oil is SAE 30 hot, and the bottle has one of the required specs: API SJ/CF. Since there is no 4 suffix, I assume they mean for it to be included. Now, the complicated parts--

The can says it meets VW performance requirements AND the VW dealer seems to agree since that is the only oil he provides (besides Castrol?--not sure).

So, let's have it. Am I making a big mistake?

Final comment: I am now at 85,300 miles. My car is running like new with no mods except to turn down the EGR code at about 40K. 90% of driving is at highway speed. I occasionally accelerate up to 4,000 RPM to keep the intake clean. The dealer services it every 5,000 miles. The engine sounds fine to my ears.

Oh.

the mfr is going to suggest a 5w40 and there are plenty of choices. 5W40 will always be synthetic. (Removed image)
there is no shortage of excellent oil choices for pre-2004 TDis!

Ernie Rogers

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle, 2003, silver

Is that oil full synthetic and CI rated?
Yes, all Mobil 1s are "fully synthetic." As to CI rating, the can clearly does not list the VW 505 spec. It does say "Outstanding protection for gasoline, diesel and turbocharged car engines." and "Exceeds API Service SJ, SH /CF." API CF is the API designation for diesel engines, I am sure. My reading of the VW manual is that any one listed spec is sufficient.

Ernie Rogers

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
what sort of oil should i be using in \'01 TDi?

I started putting in Mobil 1 Truck & SUV when it came out... About six months ago, I went for an oil change but forgot to bring the oil. I said they could use the Mobil 1 that they stocked. That was "Mobil 1 Extreme Formula 0W-30." Funny thing, right after the oil change, my mileage went up about 2 mpg.
Your mileage improved because you switched to a lower-viscosity motor oil. It would improve even more if you switched to a straight 10-weight or 5-weight.

I went to the Mobil 1 web site for some assurance.

www.mobil1.com has a box for oil selection. I clicked it, and no matter how I work it, only one oil comes up for my "choice"-- that's Mobil 1 Truck & SUV. Undaunted, I went to my car's manual. As he said, the car manual says I must have one or more of the listed specs. It recommends 5W-40 but says that 5W-30 is okay if 5W-40 is unavailable. Well, the oil is SAE 30 hot, and the bottle has one of the required specs: API SJ/CF. Since there is no 4 suffix, I assume they mean for it to be included. Now, the complicated parts--

The can says it meets VW performance requirements AND the VW dealer seems to agree since that is the only oil he provides (besides Castrol?--not sure).

So, let's have it. Am I making a big mistake?
Actually, I think you are. CF is not the same as CF-4 (or CG-4, CH-4, CI-4 or the new CI-4 Plus).

In fact, according the Mobil 1 data specs for their 0w30 oil, it does NOT meet any of the requirements for your TDI engine. You need an oil that will hold soot in suspension, and I don't think this oil is designed to do that.

It may (or may not) be okay for a 5000-mile OCI. But why not use the 5w40 Truck & SUV with a 10,000-mile OCI?

The fuel savings with the 5w40 are insignificant compared to the cost of your extra oil changes. Over a 10k-mile interval, two extra mpg only saves you about 6 gallons of fuel. So you're saving about $15 on fuel, and spending $30-60 extra on an extra oil change.

And this does not factor in the additional wear on your engine parts, and possibly the turbo.

I think you need to switch back to M1 Truck & SUV. Soon.
http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorO...-Diesel_VW.aspx

l1o9s7t6

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, sedan 2002 blue

Actually, I think you are. CF is not the same as CF-4 (or CG-4, CH-4, CI-4 or the new CI-4 Plus).
That is correct API ratings for gas engine replace each other I.E. SH replaced by SI or SJ.
With API diesel rating they DO NOT CF and CF4 are not the same thing.

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel

I wouldn't run a 0w30 in the summer, but it flows much quicker in sub zero weather.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI

0w40 flows as well as a 0w30...so why not use a 0w40 year around?

The issues with any oil with a w30 rating is increased wear in the cam and lifter regions of your motor.

Review the 505.00 spec it lists only 0w40, 5w40 and 10w40 viscosities.

Do a ferrography oil test after 10,000 miles on a 0w30 then ask whether you should be running a w30 anything in your motor...

DB

Ernie Rogers

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle, 2003, silver

Thanks, Tornado and others,

I went through all the hoops, asked VW dealers, talked to an "expert" at Mobil. They all agree with the experts here. I made a mistake. API CF4 specifies 40 weight oil, and I need to get off of the Mobil 0W-30.

Thanks for the help.

Ernie Rogers

Kier

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Limited Diesel Edition, DSG, Reflex Silver/Anthracite

FYI, I just saw that Mobile 1 0W-40 lists the VW 505.00 spec on the bottle. This must be new. All the owners with 2003's or older (ALH) can now use this readily available product instead of the 5W-40 Truck and SUV formula.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

FYI, I just saw that Mobil 1 0W-40 lists the VW 505.00 spec on the bottle. This must be new.

Nah, that oil and 15W-50 are certified by VWAG.

Kier

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Limited Diesel Edition, DSG, Reflex Silver/Anthracite

Mobile 1 0W-40 is now listing the VW 505.00 spec on the back of the bottle. This must be new. Good news for 2003 and older owners.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI

Mobil 1 0w40 has always carried the 505.00 spec. The biggest difference with the 0w40 is it has a higher HT/HS rating verses the T&Suv coming in at 3.5 verses the T&Suv of 3.0, translated higher resistance to shearing, T&SUV to date has NEVER shown shear down in any VW engine including the PD motors
hint, hint...

The M1 0w40 European formula also has a higher TBN of 10.0 which is much more resistant to acid formation.

M1 0w40 is a great oil but its still in a second place position when going up against the T&Suv 5w40 in TDI specific applications. T&SUV has shown time and again lower oil consumption verses the 0w40 in TDI's (No reason why but thats the observation of every TDI owner who has used the 0w40). T&SUV has the highest Diesel specific rating which is specific for EGR equipped diesels namely CI-4. Any other rating is considered obsolete and a lesser specification unless its CI-4 or CI-4+.

T&SUV is going to hold up better than the 0w40 simply becauses of its diesel specific origins of its formulation and specific intent of extended drain intervals on US Spec diesel fuels. T&SUV had to show protection from soot levels exceeding 8%
!!!

On the T&SUV I don't think twice of running 20,000+ miles and often go to 25,000+ between oil and filter changes. On the M1 0w40 I don't think I'd go much beyond 15,000 miles due to TBN depletion.

DB

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

T&SUV has the highest Diesel specific rating which is specific for EGR equipped diesels namely CI-4. Any other rating is considered obsolete and a lesser specification unless its CI-4 or CI-4+.
Delvac 1 meets the CI-4+ specification, Mobil 1 T&S only CI-4. Any thoughts on whether Delvac 1 has anything extra that we ought to be interested in? Or, at $20 for five quarts, T&S is such a good deal that we don't need to inquire whether Delvac 1 might be just a wee bit better?

TwoSlick

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Audi TT Roadster, 1990 Audi 100

Acceptable oil specifications for older TDI's in order of preference are:

1) CI-4+ (far and away the most demanding diesel oil spec)
2) ACEA B4 (includes the TDI test for ring sticking/piston deposits)
3) VW 505.00 (only includes testing in the older 1.6L, IDI diesel engine, but NOT a TDI)

An grade from 0w-30 to 20w-50 is acceptable, provided it's appropriate for the expected ambient temp range over the next service interval and meets at least one of the above listed specifications. The SAE 5w-30 and 5w-40 grades are good year round compromises for the climatic conditions you are likely to encounter through out N. America. But they are hardly the ONLY acceptable viscosities.

The VW recommendation is a general guideline - it is not something chiseled on stone tablets and carried down from the mountain by Moses himself...;)

ofhs93

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 99.5, Silver

Make sure you read what DBW has stated...like he said...the 0-40 may WORK in your car...but it was not DESIGNED for a Diesel motor....the T&SUV is specifically designed to hold soot in suspension (therefore keeping it from wearing on your engine internals)...the 0-40 is not.....that's not to say that it would not be fine for many people...but it's not IDEAL like the T&SUV is. Soot levels of 8% would be nearly unheard of in any TDI that *I* could think of...but the fact that T&SUV CAN handle that much should feel like a nice cozy comfy blanket of insurance wrapped around you during a howling blizzard

A question for DBW....I know you run a bypass filter....if you were running T&SUV WITHOUT a bypass filter...THEN what OCI's would you feel safe running? 20-25k is one thing with bypass filtration...but I can't imagine you would be willing to go that long on standard filtration. MAYBE 25k with a standard filter change and 1qt. added halfway through?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

...the 0-40 may WORK in your car...but it was not DESIGNED for a Diesel motor....

ofhs, that's not quite accurate. The 0W- 40 oil is certified against 505.00 (diesel-only standard) and certified against ACEA B3 and B4 - - these are exclusively diesel standards

A few of us had run the 0W40 oil. I noticed immediate oil consumption when using it, but that was my only concern. In theory, it would be an excellent solution for our brothers in the GWN during those frigid winter months and it's fully certified for any VW diesel except the PD motors.

ofhs93

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 99.5, Silver

...the 0-40 may WORK in your car...but it was not DESIGNED for a Diesel motor....

ofhs, that's not quite accurate. The 0W- 40 oil is certified against 505.00 (diesel-only standard) and certified against ACEA B3 and B4 - - these are exclusively diesel standards

A few of us had run the 0W40 oil. I noticed immediate oil consumption when using it, but that was my only concern. In theory, it would be an excellent solution for our brothers in the GWN during those frigid winter months and it's fully certified for any VW diesel except the PD motors.
Facts duely noted

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS

www.mobil1.com has a box for oil selection. I clicked it, and no matter how I work it, only one oil comes up for my "choice"-- that's Mobil 1 Truck & SUV. Undaunted, I went to my car's manual. As he said, the car manual says I must have one or more of the listed specs. It recommends 5W-40 but says that 5W-30 is okay if 5W-40 is unavailable. Well, the oil is SAE 30 hot, and the bottle has one of the required specs: API SJ/CF. Since there is no 4 suffix, I assume they mean for it to be included.
API CF and CF-4 are different, non-interchangeable ratings.

Mobil 1 0W-30 does not have any of the ratings for TDI engines through 2003:

VW 505.00
ACEA B3 or B4
API CF-4, CG-4, CH-4, or CI-4

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS

The issues with any oil with a w30 rating is increased wear in the cam and lifter regions of your motor.

Review the 505.00 spec it lists only 0w40, 5w40 and 10w40 viscosities.
Valvoline Max Life Synthetic 5W-30 does have the VW 505.00 rating. The VW 505.00 (and ACEA A3, B3, and B4) rating specifies HTHS > 3.5, which can be met by *W-30 oils on the thick end of SAE 30. Most *W-30 oils sold in the US (including Mobil 1 oils) are on the thin end of SAE 30, so they do not meet HTHS > 3.5 for these VW and ACEA ratings (there are the ACEA A1, A5, B1, B5 ratings for 2.9 < HTHS < 3.5 oils).