Decided to hold off buying a new VW because of this website

Maddox

TDI
None yet
I had a VW GTI eons ago. I like the uniqueness of VW and told myself I can put up with less than stellar reliability. I drive a Subaru Impreza WRX I bought new and hasn't gave me one single problem with close to 90k miles on it. I'm in the market for a new car and really wanted a new Golf TDI until I came here. I'm shocked about the HPFP issue and don't want the worries and catastrophic expense if it fails. I test drove a new Golf TDI recently and really liked it.

Just sounding off.

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time, Looking for a nice one though.
This sight is the reason that I sold my 2005 Golf TDI PD. Now I regret my decision.
But I still have two Golfs petrol powered. Probably won't go back to TDI again although I had no problems with it.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
I had a VW GTI eons ago. I like the uniqueness of VW and told myself I can put up with less than stellar reliability. I drive a Subaru Impreza WRX I bought new and hasn't gave me one single problem with close to 90k miles on it. I'm in the market for a new car and really wanted a new Golf TDI until I came here. I'm shocked about the HPFP issue and don't want the worries and catastrophic expense if it fails. I test drove a new Golf TDI recently and really liked it.

Just sounding off.
Sadly, that is the collateral fallout of VW's "Blame the Customer First Campaign". You would have thought they would have learned something from the Audi 5000 debacle, but alas, no .......

Personally, you should consider an older model. You have some excellent mechanics in your area to help you (MoGolf and Growler).

This sight is the reason that I sold my 2005 Golf TDI PD. Now I regret my decision.
But I still have two Golfs petrol powered. Probably won't go back to TDI again although I had no problems with it.
The PD cam/oil/head issue (although not resolved) has replacement parts available for a reasonable sum of money which removes some of the initial sting of when these failures were first occurring.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Did you catch the part about the HPFP only happens to 0.02% of the TDIs built in 2010?
(If I miss-typed the percentage or year of manufacture, please correct me)

Do you understand the concept of probability/odds/poker, etc.?

Bill

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
I wouldn't let the hpfp problem deter me from buying a tdi if thats what I really wanted and thats coming from someone that had a hpfp failure. Am I totally okay with the way VW has handled this problem. NO, NOT YET.

Failure numbers are low,albeit higher than what I would call normal,but its my feeling that if you run a good fuel additive and 2-5% bio you should be okay. If you don't want the added trouble or worry of adding stuff to your fuel........................ then buy a gasser.

dweisel

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive

Just sounding off.
It's your money, after all. You have to keep in mind that a web site like this will tend to fixate on certain issues. That's fine because it alerts people to potential problems and how to avoid them. The hpfp has created the most buzz. For me, I simply stick to good, high volume diesel stations. I add about a quart of B100 to each fill up. Because I typically get 40 mpg on my commutes, fill ups are infrequent. The Golf is also an excellent car to drive that I look forward to every time I get in it. The hpfps have undergone revisions and are now more robust or durable the the first version. With proper care these cars should last as long as any other care that is well maintained. To me, the 2010 Golf has been a perfect blend of economy and performance. Along with the hpfp posts there are more and more on the site reporting 100K or more miles and no issues. There are no guarantees regardless of the manufacturer.

Bugdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI 6M
Couple of thoughts from a long-time owner of VWs and Audis, and 1 Honda, which sent me running back to the Germans:eek:.

First, I suspect you posted here because you're on the fence about the decision. I too debated my TDI purchase (my first diesel) RE HPFP issues. Sure there is a lot of discussion on this board about the problem with HPFPs, and that's good because of the awareness factor. However, you also have to consider all the satified TDI owners here, who wouldn't trade away their TDI for anything else (execpt maybe a Bimmer 530d).

If the TDI fits your need for a more fuel-efficient vehicle and you really like the way it drives than give it a try. At 10k mi on my JSW I do not regret it. You might also look at a leased vehicle to test the waters.

lofranco

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI
If TDIClub scares you I bet Glen Beck frightens the 5h1t out of you.

I should play the lottery. 8 VW's over the past 17 years and no major issues.

Drive more, worry less.

Roshermoore

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW DSG sunroof
HPFP Overblown

Considering the percentages attached to the HPFP failures, I think you are over reacting to the possibility of a problem. You are more likely to be hit by lightning the next time you go out.

I bought my 09 before we really knew there was any type problem with the HPFP. I've had none of the problems and love my 09 JSW.

OCDiesel

TDI
2011 Golf TDI w/ DSG
Choose your future regrets wisely, daniel-son

I can understand. I read all the horror stories here and got really torqued up about the decision (pardon the pun) and then went and did the mature, reasonable thing and bought the car anyway. :eek:

The truth is that I just loved the car too much to not roll the dice on it. What is odd is that usually I am pretty risk-adverse. I'm always teasing my wife for being irrational and choosing form over function, etc. I very well may pay dearly for my passion later if the HPFP fails but if I had chosen my alternative and bought the Civic instead I'd pay for it everytime I saw a Golf on the road.

I guess in choosing possible future regrets I'd rather regret buying the car I really wanted than not.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
The problem isn't the odds of HPFP failure but the way VW acts after a breakdown of the system... Historically it doesn't bode well...

As well, there's the exhaust system - a total unknown when it comes to longevity and cost of repair / maintenance... We'll learn more in the next couple of years as some of these cars actually get driven the way Diesels are meant to be driven - for distance... (I realize there has just been a posting about a 2003 with only 13,000 miles on it... our own 2003 has over 409,000 miles on it...)

Of course, VW seems to be selling all the new TDIs it brings in, so there's a chance that a baseline could be drawn soon...

Yuri

PaulGiz

Veteran Member
TDI
None any more. My heart couldn't take it.
I wouldn't trade my Common Rail TDI for anything. If it were wrecked or stolen tomorrow I would run back to Scott VW the same day and buy another.

Take that for whatever you want.

P.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
The problems are more VW than the cars. After 2 1/2 years of going back and forth with VW, I may finally be getting my DSG problems resolved. I'm still keeping my eye on the HPFP and the clogging intercooler hose problems, along with the sticking exhaust flapper valve problem. I work on and stay on top of my cars, but I wouldn't recommend a VW to people that don't.

85_305

Banned
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 5spd
Did you catch the part about the HPFP only happens to 0.02% of the TDIs built in 2010?

Bill
lol thats awesome:cool:

But Maddox, are you THE maddox???????? Show me a sign if you are ;)

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I bought a 09 it was a new model with new engine and new emission system that was unproven.So I bought the extend warranty for the unknown down the road.I love the car I went out and bought 10 knowing about HPFP I had no problems so far.If you want a 2011 I would look at Golf and or JSW the 2011 Jetta was downgraded compaired to 2010.Good luck

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
I too love my 2011 Golf TDI, feel that it has the perfect blend of performance and economy, can't remember a car that I have enjoyed so much.......I guess time will tell about the reliability questions, which I knew about when I purchased the car.

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
If you want a 2011 I would look at Golf and or JSW the 2011 Jetta was downgraded compaired to 2010
True, they did ditch the independant rear for a beam axle on the new Jetta but I doubt anybody'd ever notice. The Jetta S has drums whereas the higher trims have rear disc brakes. Again, something the typical owner would probably never notice or even care about. I am kinda curious why the base Golf still has the multilink rear with discs though. Don't these cars share a platform?

Reflex Silver

TDI
2011 Reflex Silver JSW TDI w/DSG

Just sounding off.
I can understand how a site like this can make a person nervous, but if I had let all the similar kind of information on the Passat World site get to me, I wouldn't have had the past ten great years with my Passat gasser. It has been a fabulous car with none of the problems I read about on PW constantly. Not to say I haven't had a few issues, but they have all been very minor and easily remedied. That's why I went ahead and Bought a 2011 Sportwagen last week. Now there are two VW's in the garage and I couldn't be happier.

I guess we all have to find our own comfort level, but I think it's a shame that such a small sample of the VW owner's problems can scare someone away from such a great car. I hope you find a car that makes you happy.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
True, they did ditch the independant rear for a beam axle on the new Jetta but I doubt anybody'd ever notice. The Jetta S has drums whereas the higher trims have rear disc brakes. Again, something the typical owner would probably never notice or even care about. I am kinda curious why the base Golf still has the multilink rear with discs though. Don't these cars share a platform?

No they don't 09 was the last year they did.

Leftygolfer

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Happy with my Jetta TDI

Maddox,
I have a 2000 Jetta TDI with 247,000 miles. The vehicle has no rust, and the only problem I have had was a window regulator which VW fixed for free. I recorded my mileage for the first 150,000 miles and averaged 51 MPG. My repair record isn't counting a few blown speakers but I like 60s & 70s hard rock playing loudly, so you can't blame VW for that. I got 105,000 miles on the initial set of Michelin tires, 8 years on the battery and the brakes are solid. Did I mention that I am still using the original clutch for my 5 speed manual TDI--no slippage yet after more than 247,000 miles and I have used the vehicle to commute to Washington, D.C. for work since buying it new in 2000. If you purchase a TDI you will have to pay attention to replacing your timing belt. I am thinking about buying a new TDI this fall, but not because of any problems with my Jetta. The car runs well and seems to be as tight and responsive as the day it was new. I have no reservations about recommending a VW TDI to anyone.

Good luck with your decision.

Westro

Veteran Member
TDI
Leftygolfer:

But the new Common Rails are not the ALHs that you currently drive and have a quarter million miles on. These are high pressure, emission laden motors. I'm the opposite with diesel posed to approach $1 premium over RUG and MPGs down year to year. Why would you buy a diesel, this is coming from a guy that all I own is diesel tractors, trucks and TDIs.

Hopefully the urea injected motor will start to bring back the MPG and reduce the complexity of the after treatment systems.

IA DPE

TDI
2009 Jetta (sold back 08/18); 2014 Q5 (totaled 12/19😥); 2013 Dodge Cummins
I've had my '09 Jetta TDI for two years and 40,000 miles. Only problem it's had <to date> is the EGR was replaced under warranty. Having said that, the Engine light is on now, and I'm going to buy Vag Com as it's due for the DSG Service anyway and for what the dealer wants I can buy the parts, buy Vag Com and still be ahead.

The fact that a HPFP failure contaminates the whole system is a concern, but I use branded fuel, don't abuse my car, and stay on top of the maintenance, so hopefully that will all add up to 200,000+ miles of trouble free service.

Given the rather low number of failures, and the connection to misfueling, I'd not be afraid to get another.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp

Bill
The 0.02%, is that based on the number of complaints or did someone actually figure out the total number of failures?

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
mountain.....molehill. new tdi's rock..quick...well built and quiet as a church....I aint worried....and if you are...get some Power service/Optilube and you will be good to go.........what are you so worried about? so like subaru never has issues? their interiors feel like cars from the 70s...hate those buckets....

eatpasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Im going to be watching this thread and the GTI -or- Jetta thread with great curiosity as my wife and I are in the market for a new car and we've already test driven the Jetta and we loved it.
I never even knew you could get the Golf in a Diesel so we're going to have to go back and drive another car....

:D

I see a lot of this "sky is falling" type stuff on different motorcycle sites - particularly the ones are lean toward BMWs. Mostly because people are dishing out $20K for a new beemer and they want it to last (understandably)... but there are absolutely panic attacks when the littlest things go wrong.... I have definitely seen it before.

(they are fantastic bikes - fyi - Ive put 70k on mine)

Sometimes the best thing to do is buy something with some miles one that's been proven....

anyways.... hi.. first post.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

tdisky

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (hers)
Hi pasta, welcome to TDIClub. I'm glad some cycle people are here, too; it adds variety. Yes, I'm concerned about the HPFP too, but am loving my 2009 with 42k on it.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)

Just sounding off.