Glow plug CEL with new glow plugs and harness

dslemaire

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
I've been getting a Glow plug CEL, (glow plug monitoring 01050, 35-10 intermittent, Ref:vag com). I've replaced all 4 glowplugs and the harness and I still get a CEL when it starts cold. Any suggestions?

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Did you have the code cleared with a Vag-com or equivilant? The code will not go away on its own, even if the root of the cause has been fixed.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
You probably didn't have to get all that replaced, but what's done is done. If you didn't get the code cleared, you are going to have to get someone to hook up a vag-com, or you will have to go to a mechanic with diagnostic computers and get the code cleared.

edelstoff

TDI
1998 Jetta
I am getting the same exact code (for the last week, it's starting to get cooler in NJ), and everytime I clear it, it comes right back. I was just about to research on the forums what to do about this code. Let me know if the code comes back when you clear it. I don't want to replace all of the plugs if I don't have to.

Stan TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1997 1Z (RIP), 2002 Jetta GLS, 2002 Jetta GLS, 2006 Jetta Pkg 1
There is an excellent article called Glowplugs 101 that should help you track the cause down. In some cases, using a product, like Deoxit, on the harness may make a better connection and resolve the issue. Generally, GP issues may be related to the GP's, harness, fuse, or relay.

Good luck!

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I am getting the same exact code (for the last week, it's starting to get cooler in NJ), and everytime I clear it, it comes right back. I was just about to research on the forums what to do about this code. Let me know if the code comes back when you clear it. I don't want to replace all of the plugs if I don't have to.
Click on my signature and read the first 3 links.

dslemaire

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
I do have a vagcom so I have erased the codes and they still come back when it's a cold start. I changed glowplugs as I had two that were bad. The harness was having corrosion problems last year so I figured it was time for a new one.

I guess I'll try and check my voltage again at the harness, but last time I checked it was working fine.

I also put a shunt across the two wires from the harness as I've heard this may prevent a light it resistance is slightly out of balance.

Open to suggestions.

Dave