Cold Weather and Hard Starting

cloudstrife

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Ok, so this morning it was about -7 when I went out to start my car at 11am.

Thinking to myself: it's a little cold out, so I am going to cycle the glow plugs 3 times....good, right?

Wrong! Go to crank, it cranks for a few, then seems like its gonna go, lots of smoke, then nothing...premature.

So, cycle the glow plugs 2 more times (about 10 seconds each time) and good to go again...right?

Wrong again! Same deal - no start after crank, seems like its going to go, lots of big white smoke...premature again.

So, I'm going to give one more chance...cycle 2 more times with the plugs, then bam! it starts, smoke! noise! clatter! and 30 seconds later, off I go to 2000rpm shifts until warm.

Okay: So I have a few hypothese (spelling) on why its not starting well:

1. I have one glow plug that has to be changed, I am going to do that on sunday...however, there should still be the ability to start with 3 good plugs.

2.. The fuel...well, I filled up about a week and a half ago, from a high volume station, they mostly run winter blend year round up here, and I even put a good shot of white power service in it...but the problem I am describing sounds almost like a gelled fuel situation.

3. I am an idiot.

Chime in, let me know what you think!

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
I'm guessing the battery is getting a bit old. Am I right? Try not cycling the gps next time to see if it starts nicely.

ckhenshaw4

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 1999.5 Jetta
My 2000 was doing the same thing, and I went to auto zone and bought a Group 49 battery, and walla, just like new again !!!! You have to modify the battery box in order to get it in, but what a difference it made.
Thanks Kirk for the help with the battery box !!!

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
Is that Celsius or Fahrenheit temps? Do you put the E-brake on so the running lights are off when you try to start? Do you turn off all accessories? Radio heated sets and such before trying?

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
With a strong battery and good glow plugs (by the way if 1 is bad I would replace all of them) the car should start easily at -7F or for sure at -7C. I know this as I used to live in central MN and my car would start with 1 glow plug cycle at -22 F.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I would not be cycling the glow plugs at -7º (C or F) They really don't need it. I have been down to less than -20º F and did not need to cycle them, although it was a little slow starting and had very little power for the first couple of miles. But then it started faster than the gassers and I could drive right off while they could not.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
The start of injection timing needs to be checked.

cloudstrife

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Alright, a few things to clarify - its a 99, so A3 style & Engine...and yes, thats -7C

The battery looks quite old, and its still a VW battery, so I am thinking its the orgininal, having survived 7 or 8 winters. Might be a time to replace it.

Yes I did turn everything off, brake on, etc, the car still seems like its cranking over fairly easily

One thing I forgot to mention, I am running a 15w40 in there right now, which may be making a difference.

And I would have to goto canadian tire or napa for a new battery, any ideas on which would be the better place?

wrenchman30

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 gray 2006 dark blue
i would change the oil to 5w40 for the winter, did you depress the accelerator any at all or just tried to start at idle. try pushing the throttle a small amount.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Thanks for the clarifications.

At -7C they should be coming on. Both the engine oil and the old battery should be corrected. I suspect one or both are reasons for your concern.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
cloudstrife said:
One thing I forgot to mention, I am running a 15w40 in there right now, which may be making a difference.
Wrong oil for car. Will cause problems much more serious than hard starting.

bugablue

Veteran Member
TDI
98 beetle
You can run 15/40, my manual for my 98 beetle (alh) states it as an option but within a certain tempurature range. Its not till you get into the pd engines that you need to stick to a DEFINATE type of oil.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
That info has been overruled witha TSB in 2000 or so and applies to VEs.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Get a 5w40 synthetic in there pronto . As in - ASAP. Make sure it is diesel rated for at least CG4 or later, or is approved for VW505.00

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Given the changes since CG-4, almost better to just say CI-4, CI-4+ or 505.00 or better.