WTB ASAP: Stock MK4 front springs in/around GTA

bad-dog42

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon TDI
Hey all,

broke p/s front spring near top perch. Looking for a pair of front replacements to get me back on the road. Car is an 04 Jetta Wagon TDI with what looks like 5 dots, one dark pink and 4 light pink, on the spring for a color code. I think anything from a 2.0/1.8T/TDI/non-gti/non-gli will do.

Thanks.

Allan

Last edited:

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I could only find one spring. 4 light pink, 1 dark pink = 150lb/in rating

Its yours if you want it to get you by till you find a matched set.

bad-dog42

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon TDI
Thanks Nigel. That's exactly the color code. Let me see where the other feelers pan out. I would prefer a matched set so I only have to do the job once (already have to replace the tie rod end because of a seized nut). Be in touch...

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Just so you know. You can change the springs without having to take the strut put. You have to loosen the sway arm bolt only on the bottom.

bad-dog42

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon TDI
With the spring broken at the last, smaller coil, it blew past the top perch and is full length when jacked. I couldn't clear the strut and spring from the wheel well without releasing the swaybar and TRE and withdrawing the CV from the spindle. Trying to compress the spring in situ didn't help because my spring compressors got in the way of maneuvering the assembly out of the spindle.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I have a modified set of spring compressors. I simply cut them shorter to fit inside the strut tower so springs can be compressed in place. Useful for the passenger side because of the axle issue. If you need to borrow them, let me know.

gord273

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS
I have a full set of stock springs from my 04 Jetta TDI. They're in a box in the garage. No idea about colours. $50 you can have all 4.