1999 " Dung " Beetle

SEABEECM1

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 BEETLE
I am going to try and be honest unlike the person i bought it from . I have owned this car since 2008 where it gets me from home to work. I go 605 miles a week with 12.7 gallons of fuel . The previous owner wrecked the front and rear but it has not given me any problems with tire wear or going down the road straight. It has 520 nozzles , vr6 clutch combo , egr deleted and cooler removed and timing bumped up a little .The outside is worn and faded [Black] and interior dirty and worn . The past 14 months car has had brakes , struts , rear shocks , and new windshield through State Farm . Last timing belt was 200,000 miles by Scott Krout of Jax . The car now has 283,000 miles. Rotella T oil every 5,000 miles , Fuel filter by Mann every 25,000 miles, and Power Service every tank of fuel. For pics email baker3kt@embarqmail.com or send text to 386-956-5862 Kenny Deltona Florida $2800.00 or reasonable offer

SEABEECM1

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 BEETLE
So am I right to say if the engine is worth $1000 and the 5 speed swap is $1200 so that is $2200 that leaves $300 for the body correct? Am I reaching towards the stars on this?

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Well, I'm right down the road and I'd buy it, but I don't need another car and I certainly don't have the money, not at all saying you are asking too much.. Good luck on sale man, sorry it's going slow do far.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
2500 is more than fair, IMO. apparently things are a bit slow now, and less people are wanting the beetle version.

SEABEECM1

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 BEETLE
Yea this really sucks I really don't wont to go lower but I am the only one that works and bills need to be paid

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
just keep it. if it's a decently running car, it's worth more to you than 2500 in the long run... just my guess. it reminds me of how i got an injector pump rebuilt by dfis and then ended up selling it for less than what i paid to have it done. a year after that it turns out i kept the car i should have put it on. now i lost money on the pump and have a car with an IP i have no idea how many miles are on it.

SEABEECM1

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 BEETLE
I really would love to but no way to afford 3 cars with me the only one who works so this hurts but $2400 Thanks for your insight

gone postal

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Jetta TDI, 03 Golf TDI
How old / many miles on the clutch? Any problems with burning oil or leaks? Original injection pump? Leak free? Trans shift smooth? Any other issues? Your CL ad mentions CEL for glow plugs and that they're frozen in the head, but you didn't mention that in this ad. I have a long commute - 95 miles a day and that's about to go up, so looking for a commuter. Car has more miles than I'd like and not stoked about a TB being due right away, but might be reliable & cheap enough. NB's just always seem to be a PITA to work on. Any more pics to show detail of interior condition?

I realize your situation, but am puzzled on why you'd sell this car? Do you still work in Orlando? Sorry to be a skeptic, but i can't help it when buying used cars. Just seems if it were reliable, fuel efficient and cheap, you'd be better off selling one of the other cars. On the plus side, I am only an hr or so away. Thanks

Last edited:

SEABEECM1

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 BEETLE
WOW - ok clutch has approx. 100,000 miles , small leaks here are there uses 1/4 of a quart of oil every 5,000 miles , injection pump was changed at 120,000 miles by Scott Krout with no leaks , Trans shifts smooth , yes has 2 CEL one for glow plugs and one for egr - the 2 center plugs will not come out but have had no issues with cold start , the biggest issue is I have tried 3 different hood latches and still cant get hood to close all the way so I run with the first latch , Interior is dirty and both door panels are cracked on top will send more pics just send me your address , I bought a 2001 Beetle from a used car lot and my balance due next week is $2469.00

SEABEECM1

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 BEETLE
So reality is sinking in no one wants a Beetle , so after this weekend I am contemplating parting this car out . Is it possible to get $1000 for the engine and $1200 for the 5 speed swap?

SEABEECM1

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 BEETLE
So what gives here ? Any comments on what I am doing wrong? Should I just part this out? Need advice Thanks

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
So what gives here ? Any comments on what I am doing wrong? Should I just part this out? Need advice Thanks
My opinion here, I think your asking price is MORE than fair! If you were closer to Michigan I would consider it just to yank the engine and mothball it for myself as a spare then yank the 5 speed swap and part out the rest. I dont think you're doing anything wrong, just no one "wants" a beetle bad enough. I'd say keep and and drive it until the wheels fall off. $2200 for a running driving 50mpg vehicle is a good deal in my opinion!!!

SEABEECM1

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 BEETLE
but i cant afford 3 vehicles and the county is already looking at me . I am practically giving the car away at that price .

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
but i cant afford 3 vehicles and the county is already looking at me . I am practically giving the car away at that price .
Do you have the ways/means to part it out? If you could ship the larger items it would make possible sales easier.