TURBO: 2012-2014 Passat turbo failures [discussion thread]

bboshart

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline 6M Sports Package
If there are 300,000 TDI Passats and our sample size is 74, then our confidence interval is + or - 11%. Probably not quite statistically significant yet but getting close.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
If there are 300,000 TDI Passats and our sample size is 74, then our confidence interval is + or - 11%. Probably not quite statistically significant yet but getting close.
There is only about 80k 2012+ Passat TDIs in the US

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
SO based o this data above, we can conclude that ONLY among people that voted on the trans poll 6M vs DSG. And using data of ONLY those that reported the faliures on this board. We can conclude that 37 DSG and 37 6M passat had failed turbo so far. Whoopty- dooo. We know exactly nothing more why these turbos are failing. We have speculated a bunch. Oil, heat, warm up procedure, metalurgy, small ****ty poorly designed turbo by a large turbo manufacturer, transmission, may be more...

A good friend of mine, service manager at X dealership said when enthusiast bring their car in (warranty repair) and self diagnosed it .... about 80 % of the time they are wrong. I believe it.
This forum brings us all closer. :) LOve it!
Your buddy is right, IMO. What an enthusiast CAN do to help is accurately relay the relevant symptoms..... Making a conscious effort to leave out the baloney.

Bill

rdavenp3

TDI
2013 Passat
Just got my wife's Passat with 17k miles back from the dealer with a blown turbo. The price VW paid the dealer was $4500. The dealer said our our out of pocket cost would have been over $6k. The turbo shaft on the turbo broke. Dealer said they are seeing low mileage turbo failures on these. I'm thinking of getting extended warranty only because the cost of one turbo failure outside of

manufacturer warranty would pay for itself.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Just got my wife's Passat with 17k miles back from the dealer with a blown turbo. The price VW paid the dealer was $4500. The dealer said our our out of pocket cost would have been over $6k. The turbo shaft on the turbo broke. Dealer said they are seeing low mileage turbo failures on these. I'm thinking of getting extended warranty only because the cost of one turbo failure outside of

manufacturer warranty would pay for itself.
Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk
Please go here. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=375789

knownikko

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT
I would like to buy one just for the turbo related stuff. Don't see that happening though.

I'm about 99% sure I'll be buying the 100k powertrain warranty through the dealer that advertises in the classifieds. $800 is relatively cheap insurance in my mind.

gncc600

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat SE DSG
I've seen this before on here but just wanted to let everyone know you can buy mechanical breakdown insurance from Geico and several other insurance companies. I just switched after the turbos started failing. I pay $5.37 a month extra on my policy. Its good for 7 years or 100,000 miles. You pay a $250 deductible every time you use it but it's much cheaper than a factory extended warranty and lasts 7 years vs 6 with the extended warranty. If I keep this for the full 7 years its less than $500. Best turbo insurance I could find for the money. Just something for some of you to think about and compare to the dealers extended warranty. Plus it covers anything electrical or mechanical.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Malone is my insurance policy after 60k

Yep!

If the turbo goes after 60K, my local tuner will be doing much more than a tune...

Won't be a stock turbo anymore, and there will be way fewer things in the exhaust path.

Until then, I'll keep letting it warmup a few minutes, and drive it easy while it is doing its crazy warmup. After that, I'll drive it like it should be!

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I would do a full Rawtek and the fuel economy tune, I may be one of the only people who expected to do a full delete and tune as I drove the car off the lot :D As this thread was around 60 pages long then (august 2013) so I knew what I was getting into. Even re reading page 59 -- a lot of info was known back then

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I've seen this before on here but just wanted to let everyone know you can buy mechanical breakdown insurance from Geico and several other insurance companies. I just switched after the turbos started failing. I pay $5.37 a month extra on my policy. Its good for 7 years or 100,000 miles. You pay a $250 deductible every time you use it but it's much cheaper than a factory extended warranty and lasts 7 years vs 6 with the extended warranty. If I keep this for the full 7 years its less than $500. Best turbo insurance I could find for the money. Just something for some of you to think about and compare to the dealers extended warranty. Plus it covers anything electrical or mechanical.
Isn't there a maximum mileage at which you can purchase the breakdown insurance? I'm sure other companies offer it with the same type of restrictions.

Not wanting to really add more fuel to the statistics debate but according to the NPR piece posted elsewhere on here, the diesel take rate for the Passat is 30%. So for mentioned ~80K Passats sold, total diesels would be about 2400 vehicles. IIRC, there are about 100 failures posted with an equal break down of DSG and manuals and about 20% not reporting the transmission. Using extremely fuzzy logic, that puts the failure rate at about 4% of total sales. What we do not know is what the overall take rate is for manual versus dsg in the total sales. Based on other models talked about on this site, my assumption is that there is a higher take rate on manuals by the tdi club members. Until we can compare the overall take rates, we are really shooting in the dark to establish any type of statistical failures.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Isn't there a maximum mileage at which you can purchase the breakdown insurance? I'm sure other companies offer it with the same type of restrictions.

Not wanting to really add more fuel to the statistics debate but according to the NPR piece posted elsewhere on here, the diesel take rate for the Passat is 30%. So for mentioned ~80K Passats sold, total diesels would be about 2400 vehicles. IIRC, there are about 100 failures posted with an equal break down of DSG and manuals and about 20% not reporting the transmission. Using extremely fuzzy logic, that puts the failure rate at about 4% of total sales. What we do not know is what the overall take rate is for manual versus dsg in the total sales. Based on other models talked about on this site, my assumption is that there is a higher take rate on manuals by the tdi club members. Until we can compare the overall take rates, we are really shooting in the dark to establish any type of statistical failures.
You're missing a zero.

80,000 * 0.30 = 24,000

100 / 24,000 = 0.004 = 4/10ths of 1%

But, you can't take the global sales numbers and determine a failure rate with our small reporting population here. That's just really really bad statistics.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Yep, missed a zero but those are North American sales numbers, or at least sales numbers of the NMS.

Not_Agn

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Se TDI
It's not the heat that's killing the turbos. It's the intake and exhaust flaps causing the turbo to "stall" "bark" "huff". That could with a certain shift of either trans mission. I feel it in the morning with how jerky it is. I just keep the rpms up. Not sure if I'm explaining it the best. But your not building high boost #s with a higher rpm. I don't have my foot to the floor and I'm not accelerating per say. Anyone figure out what I'm saying?lol

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was using a number posted earlier. 80K diesels sounds much better than 80K total passats. Especially since, IIRC, that plant is supposed to be able to produce 300K vehicles a year. That also pushed the percentage of reported failures down in the 0.1% range for members of this site.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Can we please stop posting silly numbers like 0.1%? It's absolutely meaningless!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No, we like meaningless numbers! Just check out the earlier part of the HPFP threads.

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
Ok, so after 157 pages of threadwork, we can surmise that our minute (that's my-noot for those of you in Rio Linda) amount of turbo failures can be as the result of a bad batch of turbos, or any other type of theory that has impregnated itself into these very delicate layers of thinking and reflecting... I say good work boys... so which one of you works for Borg-Warner? VW? Garrett? Which one of you fixes / builds / rebuilds turbos?

None of you thus far. That's right, I said it. If I'm wrong, why hasn't this problem been solved by YOU yet ?