exhaust systems for different years

capitan828

TDI
none yet
hi, new to the forum. I'm looking into a tdi golf but I'm not sure as to what year i want to buy. I'm a diesel mechanic and i look heavily into the mechanical portion of any car i consider purchasing. It looks like the golfs different years each came equipped with a different exhaust system. can someone please break down the different years and the exhaust treatment systems it came equipped with?

it looks like the new 2015 is gonna have urea, dpf and 2 erg's!
the more exhaust after treatment systems i can avoid the better!
im interested in a golf that's maybe 08 or newer.

i know i can avoid it all if i got an older one but I'm really looking for something newer.

any help from you guys would be appreciated! thanks in advance!

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
The newest most powerful VW tdi engine is the cr140 which is in the 2009 and up TDI, the Jetta-Golf does not use urea until the newest year 2015, the Passat uses it in all cr140 cars... the cr140 has a dpf a cat an exhaust flapper and a muffler as well as egr equipment, I don't know much about any other years, all this equipment exhaust can be removed although it is federally illegal...

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
09 and newer. None made in 2007/08 due to changing emissions regs. Pretty extensive removal in these years up to today. The 1999 to 2006 were much more straight forward and less complicated. In the years you mentioned it will cost at least $1500 and up to $3k or so to remove and disable and retune one. As stated above still federally and California illegal to do. What will you do about California inspections? Probably one of the worst places to be for those who choose this route.

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
lightflyer---i am not reading this as the OP wants to do a delete but would prefer the least complicated system from the get-go.

828---the DPF system was changed starting in 2010, where they unmated the DPF and Cat, which significantly reduced the cost of replacement if you have problems with one or the other. of course lightflyer is correct the non common-rail engines found in the MY 2006 and back would fit this qualification the best. if you decide to go with one of these older cars i would recommend that you read up on some of the difficulties the automatic transmissions have or make it easy on yourself and just get an extra pedal to play with from the beginning.

good luck,

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=412077

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I reread and it looks like you are correct. If you want the simple ones 2006 and earlier. Anything past that is vastly more complicated.

capitan828

TDI
none yet
lightflyer---i am not reading this as the OP wants to do a delete but would prefer the least complicated system from the get-go.

828---the DPF system was changed starting in 2010, where they unmated the DPF and Cat, which significantly reduced the cost of replacement if you have problems with one or the other. of course lightflyer is correct the non common-rail engines found in the MY 2006 and back would fit this qualification the best. if you decide to go with one of these older cars i would recommend that you read up on some of the difficulties the automatic transmissions have or make it easy on yourself and just get an extra pedal to play with from the beginning.

good luck,

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=412077

thanks for the quick replies gentlemen! looks like im gonna go with a 2014 golf tdi 6 sp manual and probably do the full exhaust delete.

the new 2015 looks nice but they made too many changes to it that I'm not particularly fond about.
thanks again guys for you help!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Once again, now that you have stated exhaust delete, how do you plan on getting through the California state vehicle inspection? It will never pass, warranty will probably be void as well. I wish you were buying a Passat so I could buy your exhaust when you are done.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
To the OP, you're new here - welcome - but here are the ground rules FYI: You are free to "avoid" buying any model car whose emission system package you don't like, but this TDI Emissions forum is dedicated to discussing real issues of MINIMIZING emissions of TDIs.

Regardless of what other moderators and forums have decided regarding policing emissions-delete posts, ILLEGALLY REMOVING emission control devices is still not OK and as long as I'm the moderator this forum, this forum will REMAIN NOT a venue to discuss, encourage or indulge in defeating emission control devices neither in any car nor irrespective of whether your jurisdiction performs emissions inspections or not. Offending posts that are reported in will be dealt with swiftly.

Don't like my way? Tell it to Fred.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Once again, now that you have stated exhaust delete, how do you plan on getting through the California state vehicle inspection? It will never pass, warranty will probably be void as well. I wish you were buying a Passat so I could buy your exhaust when you are done.
Ditto. Not about the Passat part, but I can't see how you'll pass the VISUAL check. Or are you going to register it in AZ (outside of Phoenix & Tucson)?

capitan828

TDI
none yet
To the OP, you're new here - welcome - but here are the ground rules FYI: You are free to "avoid" buying any model car whose emission system package you don't like, but this TDI Emissions forum is dedicated to discussing real issues of MINIMIZING emissions of TDIs.

Regardless of what other moderators and forums have decided regarding policing emissions-delete posts, ILLEGALLY REMOVING emission control devices is still not OK and as long as I'm the moderator this forum, this forum will REMAIN NOT a venue to discuss, encourage or indulge in defeating emission control devices neither in any car nor irrespective of whether your jurisdiction performs emissions inspections or not. Offending posts that are reported in will be dealt with swiftly.

Don't like my way? Tell it to Fred.
Haha, sorry my mistake. I forgot that this was no longer a free country!!!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Haha, sorry my mistake. I forgot that this was no longer a free country!!!
Free country or not, you should familiarize yourself with our policy: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=396162

To all TDIClub members:

In an effort to provide fair moderation across all TDIClub forums, TDIClub Forum Administration feels it is best to clarify our position on the posting of content related to vehicle emissions modification.

We feel that it is in the community's best interest to permit these discussions. It is important (and therefore required), however, that these types of discussions clearly state that:

• These modifications are a violation of federal emissions regulations
  • Neither TDIClub nor any person taking action or inaction on its behalf, other than the content poster, will be held accountable for the content in said messages
  • It is up to each individual vehicle owner or operator to take responsibility for his/her actions

The above points must be made abuntantly clear in each thread discussing emissions systems. This also applies to vendors who may entertain discussion of modification or part for modifications. Such vendors must additionally provide a disclaimer in those threads clearly outlining the ramifications for modifying federal emissions components.

Any content deemed to be in violation of the above may be removed from public view immediately and without warning, and infractions may be applied to the user who posted the content. Continued infractions may result in a restriction of posting privileges.

This clarification does not remove any moderator's privilege; TDIClub Forum moderators retain the right to redact or delete any post, at any time, for any reason.

TDIClub Online reserves the right to change this policy at any time.

Thank you,

TDIClub Administration

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
To all TDIClub members:

In an effort to provide fair moderation across all TDIClub forums, TDIClub Forum Administration feels it is best to clarify our position on the posting of content related to vehicle emissions modification.

We feel that it is in the community's best interest to permit these discussions. It is important (and therefore required), however, that these types of discussions clearly state that:

• These modifications are a violation of federal emissions regulations
  • Neither TDIClub nor any person taking action or inaction on its behalf, other than the content poster, will be held accountable for the content in said messages
  • It is up to each individual vehicle owner or operator to take responsibility for his/her actions

The above points must be made abuntantly clear in each thread discussing emissions systems. This also applies to vendors who may entertain discussion of modification or part for modifications. Such vendors must additionally provide a disclaimer in those threads clearly outlining the ramifications for modifying federal emissions components.

Any content deemed to be in violation of the above may be removed from public view immediately and without warning, and infractions may be applied to the user who posted the content. Continued infractions may result in a restriction of posting privileges.

This clarification does not remove any moderator's privilege; TDIClub Forum moderators retain the right to redact or delete any post, at any time, for any reason.

TDIClub Online reserves the right to change this policy at any time.

Thank you,

TDIClub Administration

May I suggest that the third bulleted item be made in all capitals and in bold:

IT IS UP TO EACH INDIVIDUAL VEHICLE OWNER OR OPERATOR TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR HIS/HER ACTIONS