MK1 caddy with a mk3 1.9tdi AHU engine... Won't start

Braderz788e

TDI
MK1 Caddy 1.9tdi (AHU)
Hi guys, new the the forum, I've had the MK1 caddy for over a year, I brought it with a 1.9tdi AHU engine swap and slowly been getting things sorted on it, and been driving it as a rolling project. The car has always struggled to start and when it has started there has always been alot of smoke. struggling and more smoke more so on the colder days. But after a few seconds it would always clear and be clean after that. So I put it down to the head gasket and a small gradual coolant leak.
So I stripped the head, got the head skimmed and the valves all sorted. I cleaned out the exhaust and intake manifolds. Put new glow plugs in. Clean up all the parts and then put a new head gasket and head bolts and put everything back together. I didn't move the fuel pump at all. I managed to get the car to start once with some smoke which I thought was normal for a first start in a few weeks(was still considerably less smoke than before). When it started though it was chugging a bit and wasn't idling very smooth, and revs were a bit hesitant. So after 10 mins I turned it off and then tried to restart and it wouldn't start. I think it's timing but I'm wondering if anyone else has any ideas?

I've tried to read my OBD plus but I can't connect with a regular code reader. I'm working on getting vcds or the VW software. But as yet I can't read any codes. I've checked the obd and have 12v, the two ground connections and my k line. The k line has been wired to bypass the immobiliser and is not connected to the radio. With ignition on it reads about 8v which from what I read is fine aslong as it's less that 9v. Any help with this would also be good.

Appreciate any help. Thanks guys

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Did you check the TDC piston height above the engine block deck while you had the head off? Wondering if you don't have some bent rods.
The piston protrusion dimension would have determined which of three available head gaskets to use.

Last edited:

Braderz788e

TDI
MK1 Caddy 1.9tdi (AHU)
I didn't but I got the same as the one before as that's what I was told to do. And as the head was skimmed at the valves reseated the gasket thickness should be the same. It started but ran rough and was tough to get it to start.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
I didn't but I got the same as the one before as that's what I was told to do. And as the head was skimmed at the valves reseated the gasket thickness should be the same. It started but ran rough and was tough to get it to start.
This would not rule out bent rods.
Can you get a compression test done on it?