www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old April 30th, 2018, 03:14   #61
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

There is the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV with AWD, FWIW. (I mean, the Pacifica Hybrid is almost certainly a better vehicle in many ways, but it doesn't have AWD.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2018, 05:30   #62
atc98002
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikal View Post
Getting back on topic about the 'New VW diesel engine'. For VW to decide to bring it to the US will require the average fuel prices stay above $3/Gallon nationwide for a few years in a row. It can happen but it needs to be sooner than later in my view. Perhaps in the next five years or so to have a fighting chance.
In the Seattle area, we've been above $3 per gallon for some time. RUG is generally about $3.39, PUG around $3.80, and D2 I've seen anywhere from $3.30 to $3.80. I miss my Passat TDI, but would jump on a TDI Tiguan in a heartbeat.
2010 Routan: other daughter has 3 kids
atc98002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2018, 10:51   #63
tadawson
Veteran Member

Quote:
Getting back on topic about the 'New VW diesel engine'. For VW to decide to bring it to the US will require the average fuel prices stay above $3/Gallon nationwide for a few years in a row. It can happen but it needs to be sooner than later in my view. Perhaps in the next five years or so to have a fighting chance.
Disagree! The desire for diesel far exceeds CBS . . .
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2018, 13:15   #64
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
There is the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV with AWD, FWIW. (I mean, the Pacifica Hybrid is almost certainly a better vehicle in many ways, but it doesn't have AWD.)
Hmm, I ruled out the Outlander PHEV quite early on because what reviews I read about it was rather negative, particularly with regard to its fuel economy on the combustion engine. Add to the fact that the closest Mitsu dealer is 420 miles away from me and I'm not going to leave a vehicle filled with bleeding-edge technology to independent shops in a small, isolated city in the middle of nowhere.

Anyway, I'm checking out reviews again and may put it on a list of possibilities.

Thanks for the tip `Tooef!

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2018, 13:40   #65
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I would not own a Mitsubishi anyway, not anymore. They are going away as they have been absorbed into the Renault-Nissan alliance. The brand is on life support, and I suspect within five years they will be gone altogether or just be marketing corporate rebadged Nissan products. Renault wanted them for their EV expertise, nothing more.
Old April 30th, 2018, 14:51   #66
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Also in general terms a light duty diesel engine is going to give you a better overall return on investment for an SUV (with or without AWD) than a gasoline hybrid engine. We are talking better efficiency under load and better performance/drivability. Maybe in terms of reliability the gasoline hybrid has an edge until they will require to have GPF (gas particulate filter) and will have a way to deal with VOCs or volatile organic compounds.

On top of all of these and according to the GREET model current light duty diesel vehicles have lower overall life cycle environmental health costs as compared to gasoline hybrid vehicles.

Last edited by tikal; April 30th, 2018 at 14:54.
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2018, 14:52   #67
tikal
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
Disagree! The desire for diesel far exceeds CBS . . .
Sorry, what does CBS stand for?
Old April 30th, 2018, 15:53   #68
tadawson
Veteran Member

Cheap B*stard Syndrome . . . :-) :-)

(It's not just about $$$ . . .).
Old May 4th, 2018, 21:14   #69
tikal
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
Cheap B*stard Syndrome . . . :-) :-)

(It's not just about $$$ . . .).
I presume that some people buy any vehicle that has a premium due to performance, efficiency, luxury, reliability, etc. or a combination of these regardless of the fuel cost or other factors. However I would argue that for light duty diesel vehicles the cost of fuel is one of the major factors that drives the rate of sales for the masses.
Old May 4th, 2018, 21:42   #70
tadawson
Veteran Member

While that was a factor for us, it was far from the main one . . . more of a nice side benefit than anything else. Fit and comfort were primary, followed by sane control layout (no touchscreen nonsense for anything critical), and space. Then maybe features, and hey! This car comes in diesel! Given the choice for me, diesel was a no brainer, and I can proudly state that we own *ZERO* gasoline fueled vehicles!

Cheap little econoboxes and clown cars may be bought for mainly cost, but the Passat is neither. We could have bought Mercedes, BMW, whatever . . . . we liked this car best (a lot of which has to do with the incomprehensible controls on a lot of the others). I tend to keep cars for a long time, and use all value, and that's mainly where my comment came from. I didn't buy it for reesale value, settlement windfall, etc. I paid $X to meet a need, and it does . . . . the rest is not relevant . . . IMHO . . .

The masses? Yeah, cluelessness abounds . . . but then again, I'm not 'the masses' :-) :-)

Last edited by tadawson; May 7th, 2018 at 08:27.
Old May 7th, 2018, 06:03   #71
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2017 to end of April 2018

Quote:
Just drove from Laredo, Tx to Detroit, Mi and I never paid more than $ 2.73 for Diesel along the way. But I do not go to the typical easy-of easy-on stations.Those had prices as much as $ 3.19 gal. Just getting off the interstate a few hundred feet the fuel prices are lower and have the same price for fuel paying cash or CC.
Old May 7th, 2018, 06:46   #72
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Pilot View Post
Just getting off the interstate a few hundred feet the fuel prices are lower and have the same price for fuel paying cash or CC.
That's one of my biggest grips and I refuse to purchase fuel at any place that has different pricing. That is unless I've not paid attention and am running on less than fumes.
Old May 8th, 2018, 05:58   #73
German_1er_diesel
Veteran Member

TDI(s): BMW 118d

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Renault wanted them for their EV expertise, nothing more.
Doesn't Renault have significantly more EV expertise?
Old May 8th, 2018, 06:09   #74
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by German_1er_diesel View Post
Doesn't Renault have significantly more EV expertise?

Not sure. Mitsubishi has been a leader in electronics technology for decades, though, and have sold an EV here.... which is all by itself one more model than Renault has sold here since the '80s.

But hey, Renault also has a lot of diesel engines, as does Nissan (UD) for that matter, yet they bought a Cummins engine to go in their giant ugly Titan pickup truck, so....
Old May 8th, 2018, 06:48   #75
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

Renault has one of the better-selling EVs in Europe, the Zoe, though...

Of course, it seems that the next-gen LEAF and next-gen Zoe will somehow be brought to the same platform using the same technology, so someone's tech will end up losing out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is online now   Reply With Quote