Did I use the wrong oil?

Dadwagon

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Hello,

I just did my first oil change and the sales technician told me to use liquid Molly 5w40 Fully synthetic in the specification on it reads VW 502 00\505 00

Looking in the manual it says to use VW 505 01

So now I’m wondering is this oil OK? It s synthetic?

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Did it say liquid moly top tech 4100? I know that one is 505.01. I've never heard of a sales technician but with the title you'd think he'd know. There maybe other liquid moly products
that meet the spec but not that I'm aware of. If your looking for an alternative pentosin HP2 is a good choice. Stay away from 5w30 oil. Even though it may have the spec the 5w30 is known to contribute to accelerated cam wear.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Here is the short answer. 505.01 is for your car. 505.00 is not.
505.00 is for earlier engines that had injection pumps. Your car and mine don't have injection pumps. Our cams have extra lobes to run the unit injectors. More cam lobes equal thinner and weaker cam lobes. The PD motors, (bew,brm, and bhw) are picky about the oil they get.
If my bew was 2 quarts short and all I had was 505.00, yes I'd use it. Other than that use the oil
that was meant for your car.
Many many threads about this.Use the search engine of your choice and let your eyes glaze over. Somebody may come along and tout the atributes of rotella t6 but I have no experience with that. But again if I needed oil and that was all that was available I'd sure use it. It's not like anybody is trying to preserve their warranty on a 14 year old car.
One last thought Generally vw oil is backward compatible there is an exception. I just can't think of it at the moment. Maybe someone will help out.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
So is it ok to go the 5k miles interval with this oil.

Probably, but the PD engines have a week cam design, and the reason for the 505.01 oil is to try and keep the cam in working shape for as long as posssible.

If this were my car knowingly having the wrong oil in there would bug me and I would have to change it.

And the interval is 10k.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
5w40 505.01 oil, a good filter (Mann, Mahle, Hengst), 10k mile service interval.

Do that, and your engine (and everything in it, including its camshaft), will last a very, very long time.