B6 Passat Fans

Jasengine

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Golf GTD DSG 200bhp CBBB
06 Passat 2.0L TDI BKP, climatronic air con, DSG
Some months ago, the temp gauge moved past 90deg mark, which has never happened. It was a hot day and air con was on, in slow moving traffic too. I almost pulled over, I turned off the aircon, but the traffic moved on and the temp started to go back to normal. Got home and had a look. The radiator fans were not running. Checked the 10A fuse and it was blown, so replaced it, started engine and switched on the air con, fuse blew again.
I researched it and thought the fans controller (on the back of one of the fans) had gone bad, so bought a replacement, but the fuse blew again! I left it over the winter. But now I’m trying to get it up and running in this hot weather. I checked the wiring between the fan connector and the harness and found there was a short between the power and earth cables, so by-passed the fan power cable and fuse and ran a separate cable with fuse, straight to the power distribution on the front of the engine fuse box. As soon as I connected the fuse, the fans came on full speed. I tested the control wire to the fans and cut it, the fans stopped!
I thought there must be another short in the cabling, so tried to trace the control wire, but the wiring harness is so tightly wrapped I only managed to trace it to near the headlight area, so I hazarded a guess it was close to the fans, were it can flex and possibly break, perhaps similar to the power wire. No luck. What happened now: The fans come on with the ignition off, but with engine on, the fans stop!
Has anyone got any idea on this, as I’m stuck, unless I run a separate control wire from the ecu connector to the fans control wire.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
............ and earth cables, so by-passed the fan power cable and fuse and ran a separate cable with fuse, straight to the power distribution on the front of the engine fuse box. ................
Perhaps put that back the way it was. When you bypassed you may have eliminated a necessary circuit.

Jasengine

Veteran Member
TDI
Good point, but the circuit diagram shows the power wire going straight to the 10a fuse.

Jasengine

Veteran Member
TDI
Found out the problem: Used vagcom and came up with fan control short to ground or something.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk