So much info on oils! Where to order good 505.1 full synthetic online?

Suns_PSD

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Guys, this is all to confusing for a newcomer like me. So many oil options.

Can anyone recommend a good online source for my filters and a good 505.10 approved fully synthetic motor oil that I can run 10K miles and not spend too much on?

I prefer Mobil synthetic products if they have anything available.

Thanks for your help.

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Mobil does not have a 505.01 oil to my knowledge, available in North America. You can find 505.01 oils at worldimpex.com and tdiparts.com. Also thru "BleachedBora" who is a user here. Tdiparts is a user here and people at worldimpex are users here. All good people. I am sure there are others I have left out, but not on purpose. Look at the Vendor & GroupBuy Item discussion area and you may find more.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
First off, what year and model TDI do you have?

505.01 are required in 2004 and later PD engines. If you have a 2003 or earlier, you do not need 505.01 and have Mobil products available.

Mobil does not make a 505.01 approved oil.

If you want a 505.01 oil at a reasonable price and want to avoid shipping, you can't beat stopping at your local dealership and buying Castrol TXT 505.01 or Motul Specific 505.01 at less than $6/L.

If you want to browse the online selections, the popular ones seem to be World Impex, TDI Parts, etc.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Suns_PSD said:
Can anyone recommend a good online source for my filters and a good 505.10 approved fully synthetic motor oil that I can run 10K miles and not spend too much on?

I prefer Mobil synthetic products if they have anything available.

Thanks for your help.
I like Mobil synthetic oils too but I don't think they offer anything in the USA for our PD TDIs. :mad:

From the thread title:
So much info on oils! Where to order good 505.1 full synthetic online?
You technically won't be able to order any 505.1 oils online anywhere since none exist. There are plenty of 505.01 oil however. Not trying to pick nits here...it's important to make sure you have the correct spec number.

You can order you oil and filters from WorldImpex or TDIparts. Both are excellent and very reputable online sources. I've ordered from both. The owners of both businesses are fellow TDI owners and fellow TDIclub forum members. I've been using Motul Specific 505.01 oil in my 05 PD Jetta Wagen TDI. I'll be using Elf Excellium DID 5W-40 (505.01) oil at my next oil change.

10k miles is the normal OCI and has been verified many times through lab oil analysis to be perfectly safe and even on the conservative side. Anything less than 10k miles is a waste of money and resources. Some of the oils available can safely go 25k miles between changes. Even at 25k miles the engine will be better protected on the proper 505.01 oil than it would be during the first mile running on the wrong (non-505.01 or non-synthetic) oil. Bottom line is use the proper 505.01 rated 5W-40 synthetic oil in your PD TDI, change it every 10k miles, and then drive more and worry less. :cool:

Good luck.

Last edited:

Suns_PSD

Veteran Member
TDI
none
My car is a 2005.5.

That info was great guys. Thanks.

I'll order some Elf or Motul 505.01. Should I just use the stock filter or is there a synthetic filter medium available that offers higher efficiency?

Thanks again.