Jetta TDI Towing?

Warsaw Falcon

Veteran Member
Is there any reason the owner's manual doesn't recommend a towing capacity for the 1988 Jetta TDI? I have a small boat and trailer (under 500#), and can't understand why the engine/drivetrain wouldn't handle this load. Comments? Thanks - - Warsaw

cage

Top Post Dawg
I think it is because the TDI has a turbo. If you overload the engine the turbo can burn up. I'm sure 1,000 to 1,500 lbs. is fine, just don't floor it up hills. If you have big hills keep your speed down a bit. Think of it this way, the same engine and drive train is pulling a Passat which is 800 or more lbs. heavier than your Jetta and in Europe I think they put it in the van.

S

SkyPup

I second Cages's opinion and I am looking forward to towing my small boat and motorcycle trailer with my TDI.

------------------
99 JETTA TDI WETTERAUER TORQUEMEISTER
98 NB TDI
97 KTM P-D SUPER THUMPER

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
This was discussed at some length about half a year ago. Turns out that VW never had the Jetta TDi tested (or was that certified?) for towing and so they don't show any towing capacities, or something to that effect. You might want to look into the older archives here at Fred's and see if you can find anything.

**DONOTDELETE**

Hi,

I, too, remember the lack of certification. I have a 1-1/4" hitch that I use for hauling bikes and cargo (Hitch Hauler wheel-less trailer). The hitch is attached to the car with six 3/8" bolts that terminate in the trunk under the carpet and it's rated for 2000-lbs with a 200-lb tongue. With a gross vehicle weight of ~3700-lbs, I can't see why towing would hurt anything as long as your car/trunk isn't heavily loaded, too. Since towing may void my warranty, I have never towed anything. But if I had, I would have rented a small trailer with wooden sides to make a 1300-mile round trip to pick up a 110-gallon aquarium from a friend that was giving it away. The wind drag would've made it like pulling a parachute and my mileage would've been about 32-mpg on winterized fuel. I wouldn't have experienced any problems other than the surprising amount of noise that transfers through the hitch to the car. But that's if I HAD ever towed a trailer.

Take Care,

------------------
Scott Farrell, KE4WMF
98 Jetta TDI w/24,000 mi
53 mpg (US) w/AC

members.aol.com/ThreeRibs/Volkswagen.html
(Features TDI Articles and Sound Files)

Ric Woodruff

BANNED, Ric went to Coventry.
In response to a similar TDI towing question a few weeks ago, I had received an e-mail back from a gentleman from Belgium who stated that the European manual allows about 1300 lbs. of towing for the STANDARD TDI (non-beefed up cooling system, etc.) and a lot more than that with a towing package.

Towing a jet ski or small boat should be absolutely no problem.

I got my Class I "Hidden Hitch" from JC Whitney. It mounted up well, and required drilling only two holes in the frame.