03 Jetta TDI "NO Power Steering"

Couleetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI
On way home this afternoon from Oral Surgery, I heard something bounce outside the car, seconds later, I had no power steering. Ugh. Battery light came on dash.

Got home, see that the serp belt is not on all pulleys. Looking at map of belt path, I see from front top down to back, and up again,

Belt Goes from PS unit, down to AC unit, back to large pulley (forget what it is), back towards front to PS unit, I think they are tensioner pulley, alternator and Idler Pully. It seems to be unhooked from the idler pulley back to teh alternator.

Belt does not look broke, I have one bad headache, leaning over really sucks, besides the pain in my mouth. Gonna nap a while, on pain meds, so sort of drowsy too. Worst case I have blurry vision. I get along and will do my own repairs, just takes longer and can't read smaller print. I need to remove aluminum belly pan to see better.

I'm assuming the Idler Pulley broke off, bought if from Idparts installed about 25K miles ago. I'm guessing I need to replace whole unit as well as the belt. I did that at 100k miles along with the alternator bearing.

How long can I drive on a battery without charging. It's 30 miles round trip to work? Otherwise I walk, take riding mower or dads tractor.

Gonna look at in the moring when I feel more alert and head doesn't bother me. Appreciate answer to question on driving time above in blue or ideas.

couleetdi

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Charge the Battery overnight and have it fixed at a shop/Guru! Drive without any users and no lights during Daytime only!!!

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
The farthest I've driven is 2 hours (about 100 miles) on just the battery. The latest TDI I bought had a bad alternator. I took two batteries with me, just in case. I had everything off: radio, blower, lights. When I got home the battery was at 12.4 volts.

Eric