Relay 109 buzzing

texsize

TDI
2013 jetta DSG.
My 95 passat TDI had a 109 relay that was buzzing and causing a no star condition. I replaced relay with a new factory ordered one. Drove car about 3 blocks and the new relay started doing the same thing... Any ideas ??

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
A 95 passat TDI? I assume a transplant?

By the "same thing" I assume you mean buzzing, but it still starts?

Is this really a TDI?

texsize

TDI
2013 jetta DSG.
Yes its a conversion, back to no start. I disconnected te battery to reset to ecu. I got the car back home, but afraid to drive it till i know whats going on.cant find the diagnostic connector to check for faults.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The ecu isn't reset with disconnection, unless this is a ECU that differs from those I'm familiar with.

No start, I assume no gp light, is usually the 109 symptoms. Diagnostic shouldn't show anything if this is the issue, since the ecu is off when 109 isn't working.

How's your regulator? Perhaps voltage over 13V causing problems? Test output with some rpms.

texsize

TDI
2013 jetta DSG.
buzzing 109

The dash board lights up, temp, oil, ect.. there is NO glo plug indicator on the dash so that is of no help. the relay is buzzing with the ignition on an the dash board light on, tach jumps around eraticly when cranking the engine. both old stile 109 and the new 109 relay do the same thing.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It buzzes when engine is not on, just key-on? Very odd. "new" relays can be bad, but usually the 109 either clicks with key-on or doesn't.

The only buzzing I had was with bad grounds (or battery, fixed both at the same time).

I'd go to basics to start - make sure the battery is properly hooked up, clean and tight cables, make sure they are properly fastened on both ends. Clean and tighten the grounds - don't know where you've got them with the conversion.

Trying a third 109 should eliminate that small possibility.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
A buzzing relay means that the relay is clicking on and off rapidly. This can be because there isn't enough power, or there isn't enough ground.

Check for good system voltage. Then check for good ground. (Hint: An ohm check isn't the way to check for good ground)